Why did they release Ross Martin?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dman928, Sep 1, 2017.

1. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I liked Martin too, but his kickoffs barely made the end zone. Catanzaro at least got them to middle of end zone. He had a bad year, has a good leg, good chance to bounce back. Maybe he's our next Nick Folk, same story.

Jets not looking to tank.

BacktoQueens and TonyFtLaud like this.
  2. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Was pulling for Ross Martin. I expect Catanzaro to have a good season when no one is watching (besides us Jets fans)
    If and when we are in a big game (if he is on the team years from now) he will blow it

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They want to keep the scoring down to bare minimum. Can't have a decent kicker, have to keep the lousy one. Can't have the Jets scoring 3 points every week. They are built for safeties. So we can lose those games to the Bowns and Jaguars 3 to 2. All part of the grand scheme. One that has no been articulated to the fans yet.

5. boozer32

The tank is real. You couldn't build a worst team talent wise if you threw darts at a board blindfolded. It takes talent to assemble this type of team.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In THIS world. Based on your comments, you obviously know nothing about him or Catanzaro, yet come on here like you know so much and wise off. Instead, you make yourself look like an ass. If you had paid any attention at all to TC reports and this preseason, you'd know that he's been very consistent, whereas Catanzaro hasn't even been close in accuracy and consistency until the last week or so. Martin only missed a few kicks whereas, Catanzaro missed a bunch in TC and even 1-2 in games. According to the TC reports there were a number of days where Martin hit every kick and Catanzaro went 1-4 or 1-5. Catanzaro was also pretty awful last year. He hit only 75% of his FG attempts and only has an 84.8% accuracy mark for his career. He also missed 9 extra point attempts over the last two seasons. That's the reason the Cardinals didn't want him back.

Martin was a rookie in Jets camp last year, was very good in camp, but then struggled in preseason games, and was cut at the end. He had things he needed to work on following last year. He worked hard on his leg strength and consistency this offseason, and he was even more consistent, showed a stronger leg, and had a very good camp. If any team isn't happy with their kicker or lose their kicker to injury this year, Martin could very well get a contract with them.

Bowles has proven that he prefers going with veterans because he thinks they give him the best chance to win. It was also obvious that Bowles gave Catanzaro more chances in the preseason games than he did Martin. Bowles is so stupid that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he went with Catanzaro because he's a vet or had more touchbacks than Martin. I can't wait for Catanzaro to start missing FGs and extra points in games and causes the Jets to lose.

BomberJet likes this.
  7. boozer32

Not like he will kicking off alot this year anyway. But you would think the Jets would go with a more accurate kicker. Oh that was your parents Jets these current Jets the stupid is strong with them.

8. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I stopped after "Based on your comments, you obviously know nothing about him or Catanzaro." When one argues with a moron (YOU!) you become a bigger moron.

9. ChrebetCrunch

Ross Martin is such a good kicker that he went the entire 2017 season unsigned after being cut by the Jets, and is still available after being cut today. I can't believe how blind all 32 teams of the NFL have been with this future first ballot hall of fame kicker.

10. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Bowles should have been fired last January--whaat kicker he picks hardly matters. He will find ways to lose

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

We traded for his long snapper....so that makes a lot of sense!

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Disappointing.. If Catanzaro falters whatsoever I hope Martin is brought back quickly. At least Catanzaro is young himself.

I didn't see many kickoffs, but did notice at least one, maybe two, where Martin didn't even get it into the end zone. For those who watched more closely, could this have been a factor?

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

smh @ blaming Bowles for this

mac has final say on the 53

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They were neck and neck on Field goals, Martin was 3-4 Catanzaro 4-5.
    Catanzaro was better on kickoffs , field position will be very important to this team.
    Martin was actually more expensive.
    Catanzaros :2017 Salary Cap Charge: $900,000
    Martin's : 2017 Salary Cap Charge :
    $1,020,000
    Like it or not , it was the right move. There's a reason Martin didn't stick last year and he apparently didn't improve the areas he was told to work on.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Likely the biggest factor.

16. TonyFtLaud

Come on, you know the Special teams coach and head coach influence the cuts. Mac doesn't decide who to release over the Coaching staff.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This. While the coach obviously has input, this was Mac's decision.

He's had final say on the roster since he's gotten here. It's like people ignore this fact.

Coaches always have input, but the blame rests on Mac's shoulders.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  18. ChrebetCrunch

I'm sure that it was a factor, but it's not apparent to the posters who think that Ross Martin is the next George Blanda.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Tanking the season starts with solid fiasco at PATs and FGs.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They were even on FGs in preseason games, but it wasn't even close in TC practices. Catanzaro has the stronger leg, but imo Martin's is the more accurate, and accuracy is more important than leg strength. I think Martin kicked a 58 yard FG and showed plenty of leg.

Field position is definitely important, but we'll see how important it is if Catanzaro starts missing FGs and Extra Points.

The difference in their salaries is negligible and shouldn't have really been a factor imo.