Why can't Darron Lee cover anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 30, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

but at the same time your facts aren't straight

2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty much my sentiments all the way. If they had selected Sharron in the 4th or 5th round I would be applauding the pick.

However, he's an enormous disappointment as a 1st round draft choice. I know Toilet and Mac thought they were getting Deon Buchanon, but the fact is Lee simply isn't as good of a player as Buchanon is. Lee was a track star coming out of the combine and everyone fell for the hype hook, line, and sinker.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LOL ...They all went to see "Fast and Furious" then they picked D Lee ahahaha

4. Mainejet

Here is what was written about Lee after last season through Jets wire from Pro Football Focus. My mistake I said 139 rating, it's actually 132.9, still piss poor anyway you look at it.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/04/jets-darron-lee-was-nfls-worst-rookie-linebacker/

Jets first-round pick Darron Lee had plenty of speed and athleticism, but it did not always translate to success on the field.

Lee graded out as the worst linebacker in the class of 2016 according to Pro Football Focus, despite being selected 20th overall in 2016’s draft.

The biggest shortcoming for the former Ohio State Buckeye was his pass coverage, which the Jets thought would be a strength heading into the season. When targeting Lee in coverage, opposing quarterbacks had a rating of 132.9. In fact, the only measurable that Lee didn’t struggle in was discipline. He committed just two penalties in 593 snaps this season..

[​IMG]

The only first-round pick to perform worse than Lee this season was Seattle OG Germain Ifedi, who was picked 31st overall.

Heading into his sophomore season, the Jets need to find a better way to use Lee. He was consistently overmatched by opposing tight ends in coverage.

At 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds, he is undersized for an inside linebacker in Todd Bowles’ 3-4 base defense. He was regarded as one of the best blitzers in the 2016 draft class, yet he rarely did that for the Jets.

Either way, Bowles needs to find a way to get more out of the team’s 2016 first-round pick.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Damn. It's hard to argue with those "stats".

FJF likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why would you, if he is shit then he would still be a shit bust whether we had picked him the 1st or 7th round.

And as for all your stats later on, nobody is disputing he has been bad, just that he has made a couple of better plays recently, how can you not understand the difference between a small bit of praise and encouragement to full on, he will be our all star pro of the future (which I will say once again, nobody thinks he will be)

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

His reaction skills are what kills us...
    He has all the athleticism but he is god awful at picking plays up...wow!

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If somebody like Buster Skrine can make a career in the NFL then Darren Lee has nothing to worry about.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he is an awful linebacker. Reading plays and taking angles is a linebacker's job. When they scouted him they overlooked the most important things. Sharon Lee is a bust

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Sharon has talent but just no football IQ. Reminds me a little of Vernon Goulston.

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No he doesnt have any football iq

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great comparison ..Skrine must mentoring Lee..double feh

13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

LB DARRON LEE, 84.8 OVERALL GRADE
    The Jets were able to hold the Dolphins running game in check with Darron Lee leading the way. The Jets defense gave up just 2.1 yards per carry for a total of 53 yards, including an astonishing one yard before contact. Lee was shedding interior blocks all day, totaling five solo stops as well as securing a quarterback hit rushing the passer.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yep. The combine should be completely thrown out when evaluating linebackers. Straight line speed has absolutely NOTHING to do with playing linebacker.

They have to be able to swivel their hips quickly if you want them to cover. But that's quickness, not speed.

I hope we learned our lesson. Let's start looking at tape and recognize instincts and play recognition and football IQ for our future linebackers. Not track runner speed.

He's been better in the run game. But he's an absolute disaster in coverage. Whether that be zone or man. He has no clue what to look for when he's in a zone. Stills ran right by him on one of those touchdowns and he literally just stood there.

What's frustrating is can we get him off the field in obvious passing situations? Put Carter in there, he's still on the team right? Someone. Anyone. Bring in a 3rd safety like we did when Terrance Brooks had a day, and move Adams into that role in the box to cut off the threat of the run. He's a 0 in pass coverage of any kind.

BrowningNagle and 94Abraham like this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

More Lee hate when he continues to improve every week. Keep on hating.

16. Mainejet

I was just going to post this....... This was by far Lee's best performance as a pro. The Jets defense played mostly 4-3 that I could tell and Sharron was able to utilize his sideline to sideline speed. It was right up his alley. I'd have more praise if it weren't for two very costly and stupid penalties he had, including one that directly led to a Dolphins touchdown. He was also one of the main reasons the Dolphins were able to come back on the Jets? Between Buster Skrine and Lee they were paving the way for Matt Moore to torch the Jets. Lee's coverage skills are still very bad. He never turns his head to look for the football? With that said, EVERY time he's covering a receiver he will be susceptible for PI penalty. It's textbook PI when you get your arms up and waive them in front of the intended receiver and do not look back for the ball.

All in all, a decent performance by Minnie Mouse. But one OK game does not a player make........

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard the phrase: "Damning with faints praise?" Because that's what your post reads like. The part I bolded doesn't sync with the part I italicized. If I had to choose, I'd believe the italicized part more than the bolded.

It's not just you though MJ. Everyone who are still on the Darron Lee Train keep saying what a talent he is, and he'll really turn out to be great, and it takes time to "get it", but IMO a first round pick ought to already "have it". And if he does have the ability, why aren't Bowles and his coaches putting him in schemes to take advantage of it? Maybe this is as good as he gets? Picks like this really make me question Macc's ability to judge talent, at least college talent, and that was supposed to be his strength. Time and patience are quickly running out.

18. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

He needs to put on about 25 lbs in the off-season so he can just be an edge rusher on passing downs. Since he can't be counted on to consistently cover, maybe he can develop as a speed pass rusher

But he NEEDS to put on some serious weight, we dont need another Maybin

19. Mainejet

You do realize you're preaching to the choir, don't you? You do realize you're lumping me in with all of the Darron Lee apologists, when I am anything but that?

IMO, what I posted was a completely objective take of his performance yesterday.

I agree with you that the 20th overall pick should be able to "hit the ground running". I agree the team MUST get returns out of young players, especially 1st and 2nd rounders, within a few games of them stepping foot on a pro football field. I am right there with you.

With that said, I merely pointed out that his performance was finally at least OK whereas any performance prior to today has been unsatisfactory.

Getting IMMEDIATE contributions out of your highly selected rookies is the lifeblood of any team and keeps them competitive year in and year out. Darron Lee has not met that expectation in any way, shape, or form. He's finally starting to show progress, but it still isn't anywhere near what should be EXPECTED out of the 20th overall pick. I've said this before, DARRON LEE was one of the main reasons why this team went 5-11 last season.........

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lee is getting better every week and yall still bitching

Mogriffjr likes this.