Why Big Mac is a mad genius

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Good..he deserves it for everything he screws up that he does have control over.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Every professional sports team has employed corporate intelligence like they are a military arm. I posted this link last night but I'll post it again because it bears repeating. A Browns fan talked to a member of his extended family who had a connection and basically predicted who the Browns were taking with both picks.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/...other-serious-browns-draft-rumblings/?page=15

That's a guy on the internet, not a guy who works for a billion dollar organization.

I don't think you actually grasp the things that go on behind the scenes.

Edit: oh btw there are multiple mentions of Rosen's scary neurology results from 4 concussions in a 3 1/2 year period and the guy dropped to 11.

#22 abyzmul, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Cidusii likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I was never of fan of tanking (or whatever you want to call it) to land a FQB. Nevertheless, that's the path Macc chose and I was content to see where it led. However, it didn't make any sense to me to put the organization through a season like last year and then make a play for Cousins, a QB I consider good, but not good enough. With the loss of Cousins and 4-5 good QB prospects coming out, Macc could not stay at 6 (the result of his tank season) and be assured of one of the top 5 so I give him credit for insuring the Jets got a good one and it worked out for him that he got one of the best prospects. However, Darnold should only be considered the first step in creating a winning franchise. Maccagnan has to follow up this move up by surrounding Darnold with future good draft and FA choices.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't watch last season thinking the Jets were tanking at all. They didn't go out of their way to overspend on amazing players, but that team was focused on winning and from FO to CS they didn't lay down at all.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Disagree here. Given the roster at the beginning of the season, I think tanking was the plan by the FO. Of course, the CS and team had no intention of tanking and that's the way it should be. They performed surprising well. However, I think two factors helped the Jets. 1) No one expected McCown to play as well as he did; and 2) the late arrival of Kearse gave some credibility to the passing game. Honorable mention goes to another late addition, Kony Ealy, who performed surprising well in pass situations on defense.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

robbie andersons emrgence as a legit WR1 was a big factor as well. as was the run game with powell and maguire (although forte looked like a 3 legged horse out there) and a lot of the young talent on defense performed well. We are an even better team now in 2018. enunwa is back, we added help on the o-line. pryor was brought in at WR. we got younger and faster at ILB. we added a top 3 CB as well in johnson. Adams and maye will be in year 2. maybe in the 3rd round we can land another starter as well.

it's all trending up, plus in 2019 we'll have more picks, another 100mil to spend, and hopeful a ready darnold

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Waves hand in front of Dorset at the combine,
    “This is not the qb you are looking for”
    Obi mac

K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Mac has gotten alot of credit with taking the best player available but this was shrewd, genius and by far his best move to date simply because it worked. It was a huge gamble to trade only into the top 3 but since we were so dead set on getting a QB it helped us skip past the bs and just do what simply had to be done. We pretty much traded for the #1 pick, because not all drafts are made the same it just happens to be that this draft had more blue chip talent than most. RB going #2, a CB going #4 OG going #6. I think Mayfield Barkley and Darnold all deserved to be # 1 overall players. And although i hated the trade at first ive come full circle because as i said before it worked.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Charley Casserly polled 24 gm's and 17 said Darnold was the best qb in the draft. We werent even considering Darnold because surely he wouldnt get by Cleveland AND Ny with a shot Eli

Something changed at the last minute. Bet Haslam fell in love with Mayfield and made this move

Browns then reached for Ward

Bottom line is the Browns are still morons

LF911SC, themorey, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I love your avatar. Did you make it?

11. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

I’m drunk already so forgive me but Mac isn’t a mad genius. He is the GM of a shitty team that has caught some breaks over the past 3 seasons. Leo has Been pretty good and Adams has flashed (still more impressed by the Maye pick). I’m pretty sure I could make the 6th pick two years in a row and the 3rd pick this year and come out looking OK. Just because the Browns made a Questionable pick at #1 this year doesn’t make him a Genius, if anything it makes Dorsey look senile.... just my 2 cents..

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

If you read my post, you'll see how mac baited him into taking mayfield

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It worked out great, but I'm not sure Macc "played" the Browns with the Mayfield smoke - if he did, then yes, genius, but I think it was just the media feeding the rumor mills that got the Browns nervous. If Macc DID con them, then the Giants owe him big time.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Where do you think the media got it from though? I highly doubt someone made it up out of thin air and then the entire country ran with it.

15. ColoradoContrails

"luck is the residue of design" - Branch Rickey

themorey likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

I'd guess that too, on the basis that Macc thought there was no way Darnold fell to them.

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I thought the Browns had a pretty weak night but I was listening to Adam Schein's show today driving the truck and compared to most of the rest of the world I guess I'm a Mayfield supporter. They were getting raked over the coals pretty good by callers and Schein made me laugh making fun of the Brown's devious strategy of selecting inferior players.

I'm not saying Mayfield and Ward are total disasters or anything but I certainly feel like Darnold/Chubb or multiple other combo's would have been an awful lot better. Maybe Mayfield really will be the next Drew Brees but I suspect there is a high % chance that pick is going to look like an absolute boondoggle years from now looking back on it.

18. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Macc didn’t “bait” anyoneone into taking mayfield. Especially Dorsey that comes from quite possibly the franchise best known for their drafting......

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think the Giants were going Barkley no matter what. They really think Eli has something left in the tank for a Super Bowl run. Or their ownership is kissing Eli's you know what.

#39 CotcheryFan, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  20. ColoradoContrails

They make shit up all the time. It may be based upon some snippet of info they get from the team, but a lot of times it's just speculation, the same as we do here all the time.