Who Should Be The Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Who should be the Jets Opening Day Starter?

1. McCown

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Hackenberg

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Petty

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think McCown is the better QB of the 3 at the moment but it's irrelevant given the fact given the fact this is a total rebuild and he is like 150 years old. If I'm running the team, I'd start Hack until he definitely proves he is the dumpster fire many thinks he is. Then I would play Petty the rest of the year. That said, I'm not going to lose sleep like some on this board if Petty never sees the field this season. Whether Petty plays or not is not going to change the fact we are headed towards a top 5 pick.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think the Jets COULD be better than many think, except that Bowles will screw that up.

PulseJet likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Again, I'm not an expert, but I fail to see the shortcomings that you and others see in Petty. I'm not saying he's the FQB, but we haven't seen enough of him in quality situations - practicing with the 1st team; starting games when they mean something. You may have a lot of experience evaluating QBs, if so, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I would really like to see Petty prove that he isn't capable. The only exception to this would be if somehow Hack comes alive and shows himself to be truly better than Petty, in which case, he wins the competition. But in either case, McCown doesn't have a place other than backup.

PulseJet likes this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Agreed!

5. legler82

The coach and GM are in the first year of what believe are 6 year deals. They are rebuilding "for real" in year 1 NOT 3; so they are in a better situation at the moment.

6. legler82

Define better than a lot think. Are we winning 6-9 games?

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well they got Kirk Cousins packing his bags after this season ... off topic, but what college QB will we argue about this time? :D ... since it's looking that way

8. legler82

I don't think Petty is bad; I just don't think he is special. Given the fact we might be in position to draft, if available, someone that might be special, I'm holding out. You said it yourself "I'm not saying he's the FQB". If he's not FQB, why all the Petty talk?

9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

No I think whoever QB's the Jets they can win 5 games, which will put them out of the top 3 in the 2018 draft. Consensus is they win 1-2 at most.

I think they can split against the Bills and Fins, they can win one or both games against the Jags and Browns, and they will win a surprise game against one of the Panthers, Bucs or Saints.

10. legler82

It's still early I'm not as in love with the as all the prognosticators. As of today I would take my avatar over any of the guys that could potentially be available. I have no favorite as of yet; there are things I love and hate about all the top guys. If I had to guess, I would say you are a Rosen guy? He appears to check off a lot of things your prospect evaluation list.

11. legler82

If Rex was coaching this team, I think he could motivate to the point we squeezed out 5 wins. Toilet Bowles will likely meet expectations this time. Normally, I look at the schedule before making predictions but I'm confident based on the roster alone.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

This practice does not look like the team is preparing to start Josh McCown...still lots of time left, but all Hack + Petty #JetsCamp #Jets

Usually 3rd game is the dress rehearsal for the season opener...Does one think mcCown won't start now and it's down to Petty or Hack??

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rosen is OK so far, he's pretty polished in terms of his mechanics. However, something about him I don't like. Not personality wise, but on the field wise. He's folded under pressure due to his offensive line. He could be Hackenberg 2.0 with better accuracy or Eli Manning. Definitely need to watch him this year. But something, about him is missing, can't put my finger on it yet.

Josh Allen and Nick Fitzgerald, are two guys I will be watching every game of. Both amazing arms and improvising skills. Allen will be getting the Wentz treatment this year. The problem with both of those guys is they don't see the field great, but will improve with good coaching.

Going to love college football this year, plenty of offensive lineman and QBs. Jets could really do some justice if they can look at next draft and go all offense.

14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It should be Hack. Make the kid show something. Hopefully he can do better than 3 TDs to 7 INTs for a QBR of 60.

legler82 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Oh I absolutely want them drafting the top QB this year! But in the meantime, I think Petty is the best option, not just this year, but if they do get their FQB and he's not quite ready to start next year, Petty could given him time.

PulseJet likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I and many posters on many Jets boards have been complaining about Woody for years and before him, Leon Hess.

I know he can't be fired, but imo it's totally unrealistic for posters to sit there and criticize the CS, the GMs or players, when the owner is at the root of the team's problems. I don't know of many examples in sports where a team has overcome an incompetent owner, HC or Manager and won a championship. Barry Switzer and the Cowboys are the only example I can think of at the moment.

I'm sure if we ever are lucky enough to draft a top tier QB that more than likely, Woody will sabotage it in some way. He'll hire a HC who will want to institute systems that don't fit that players talents, or he'll fire the GM who drafted that QB and built the team, and the new GM he hires will want to tear it all down and start over.

Obviously, I don't think that complaining about Woody is a waste of breath. Where else are we gonna vent and commiserate but with other Jets fans? Maybe if enough Jets fans wake up and realize that Woody is the problem, we can do something to force his hand. We can bombard him with letter and emails urging him to hire a quality football man to run the team and then to step back and let him do his job. If he doesn't we can stop buying Jets gear, turn in our season tickets, PSLs, stop buying concessions, and stop going to games. The one way to get an owner's attention is his pocketbook. If he starts losing lots of money on his team, he will listen to the fans or sell.

#76 NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. legler82

I thought improvisation was not high on your attributes list? Anyway, we might be on the same side this year. Allen and Fitzgerald in that order are leading the pack for me in terms of who has me most intrigued. Though only a sophomore, I'm hoping that Fitzgerald can take a huge step in his development like Dak did his final year. If he does, he can take the lead. Right now, his improvisation skills is limited to tucking and running. I want to see him start to keep his eyes down field and make plays with his arm. I heard some say that's a trait QBs are just born with; I hope not cause I like what else Fitzgerald brings to the table.

I might get on board with the Darnold train if he can tightened up that throwing motion.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I would take Eli type production at QB for us. The Jets, if they were smart, would take the offensive route in next years draft. Too bad they are not smart...

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  19. legler82

Those numbers seem to garner a lot of fans.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

The guy who gives us the best chance to pick Top 3 in next year's draft. I believe it is Hack. Petty and McCown might win enough to kick us out of the Top 5 pick for sure.