Who here likes Tony Hunt?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Feb 8, 2007.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The way I hear it is that Tony Hunt is a jack of all trades. He runs hard, catches the ball well, and blocks well. His only negative is probably that he isn't a speedy runner, but neither was Curtis Martin.

If we don't make a trade for Michael Turner, who is in favor of spending our late second rounder on a guy like Tony Hunt?

Aside from Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch...this is my favorite RB in the draft.

2. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I like him a lot. He's a hard-nosed runner, he's patient and waits for holes to develop. He's also damn good at picking up blitzes. If Lynch or Bush aren't available at our 1st and 2nd round picks respectively, I'm all for taking him.

He's a good kid too. If he has a good time at the combine, I'll be even happier.

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i dont think he lasts till our late 2nd rder. he seems like hes got great intangibles without any glaring weakness in his game. yeah he cant break the big play but like you said hes almost a lockdown in every other aspect of the game.

he runs exactly like someone his size should, which is what I like most.

maybe anthony spencer in the 1st and tony hunt with out early 2nd and then the top OL available with our late 2nd. i could definitely live with that.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You really changed your attitude towards Hunt. I have liked him for awhile now. So I would be all for it if we could get him.

5. PennyandtheJets

I am starting to do my homework :wink:

6. PennyandtheJets

That actually sounds perfect to me. I don't think we will be able to get Anthony Spencer as I have heard he will sky rocket after the combine.

But, a DL in the First round, RB with the early second and a RG/RT at the late 2nd rounder would be a GREAT start to the draft.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

other options would be

Justin Blalock(could play G or T) 1st rd, Hunt 2a, and maybe Abriamiri drops to 2b?

or maybe wed take one of the less stellar names at LB/DE and turn them into something big.

i wouldnt be against nabbing a WR if the BPA gave us good value at the pick.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

I like Hunt as the third best RB in this draft.

He runs like he should, and his only flaw is that he isn't a speed back. Does it bother me a little? Yea. Do I think we could do better? Yes.

He's still a very nice prospect, though I'm a little weary of Penn RBs. I'd love to get him if Turner is too pricy.

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the kid when he played ND but maybe he'll prove me wrong. The problem is I think he might be too patient. If he's going to be waiting for gaping holes to develop, he's going to be waiting for a long time on this team.

10. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

You can't take a guy to play a position he has never played before in the second round and "hope" he turns into something big.

Abiamiri never really impressed me at Notre Dame. He looks like a measurable monster who will be an immeasurable flop.

Regarding Blalock, his scouting report reads like that of every guy to come out of Texas in the last decade. While his size and athleticism is intriguing, he may well be like every other Texas guy who has come out the last few years who was technically underdeveloped because of his ability to coast on his size and athleticism at the collegiate level. The fact that he projects more as a guard makes him even less valued at that spot for this team.

If Tony Hunt works out well, I would have no problem using our early second rounder to pick him up. I think he would be a great fit for this team, as a full-time back or as a one-two punch with Leon Washington, who definitely deserves a role in the offense.

-X-

11. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I agree about Abiamiri. He'd be a waste of a pick. I haven't seen him do much at ND except against teams like Stanford and all the perennial losers. I wouldn't bother with him and I don't think we'd consider him anyway.

12. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

He reminds me of a bigger slower version of joseph addai....and I don't think he lasts until the latter portion of the 2nd round. If we want him it will cost us more then that....

If he manages less then 4.6 at that size which I think he will....he will continue to creep up that draft.

For the record I want Turner WAY more then Bush or Hunt....so hopefully we make something happen on that front. I'll continue to hope foolishly that Lynch falls to us for some reason or another.

13. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

His patience waiting for blocks to develop reminds me a ton of Larry Johnson. I actually didn't watch LJ play consistently until this year and that's one thing that really stands out in his game: he'll turn it down and notch and then EXPLODE through a hole. Hunt does the same but lacks that explosiveness. I think our O-line will get a lot better at run blocking next year.

However, I'd still like Bush over Hunt. He's faster and bigger than Hunt. The only question is to whether he has fully recovered from injury

14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Corey dillion, deuce staley, thomas jones are just some of those type of backs who are slow for there position but get the job done with grinding it out for slow time/ball possesion of the clock plays. plus we need that bulky back that on passing plays can pick up that blitz and put some defenders on there asses

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I didnt kjnow a whole lot about abriamiri, but theres alot of DE's likely to convert to OLB this year. I'd take anthony spencer in a heartbeat. But maybe you know more about abriamiri than I do cuz like I said I havent seen a whole lot of him.

But I will stand by Blalock. I think he could be very solid as a G and good enough to play RT. thats just my opinion. I think the obvious first round talent drops off at 20. so either way its a bit of a reach after that.

AND if for some odd reason Tony Hunt is available with our early second I'd jump on him. if we can address OL in FA this discussion isnt even being had and we can solidify the team even more in the first 2 rounds.

#15 Coach K, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Wow, he looks slow as hell in those videos. Did absolutely nothing when the O-line got no push.

I mean, of course its like that for any RB, but he just did not impress me in those videos.

18. coydoggie

coydoggie New Member

the thing that scares me the most is the description of Hunt as a slow version of Addai - just shows how weak the class of RB's is this year

19. krd145

krd145 New Member

your wrong about him guys, he's special, and i cant wait til he shuts u guys up when he runs a 4.5

20. Tight

Tight Active Member

Thats one thing I hate when people say curtis wasnt fast, he wasnt the fastest but he could outrun most lbs and most safeties if the oppurtunity was there.