Where We Really Went Wrong! However....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsjetsjets, Feb 22, 2006.

1. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

Last Season. Our pride cost us tremendously.
    Defensively we should have explored trade options for Ellis and Ty Law. We should have started Justin as our #1 corner. Pouha should have gotten the start at DT alongside Robertson.
    Offensively we should have explored trade options for Sowell and Mawae (before he got hurt). Brooks should have gotten the start immediately, no Vinny. Our Oline should not have included any starters except Moore and Jones. Last season was an excellent season to judge all of our talent, not attempt to put a makeshift "die trying" team. Now we are screwed, but we do have options:

Abraham gone pretty much means the 34 is our next step. Vilma should be fine considering that a good linebacker should be a good linebacker no matter what the scheme is. That being said, we have Dewayne on the outside with Ellis. Vilma moves to the OLB position, Hobson moves inside. Barton moves to the inside. We draft a speedy backer for the outside position. Miller, Barrett, Coleman, and Rhodes are our base secondary. Draft needs are an OLB and a MASSIVE NT, additional needs are a minimum two cornerbacks.

Offense is not too bad off. Baker starts at the TE position. Kendall stays at Center. Coles, McCareins, and Cotch are our 3 WR's. Askew is our FB plus we sign a FA blocking FB. Jones stays at tackle.
    Draft needs: Qb (Palmer like), a fast RB, OT, OG, additional needs are a minimum two speedy WR's. Free agency can address the OG needs as another option as well as depth.

Total first round draft picks: OT, QB, OLB/ OG
    Total second round draft picks: OG/ OLB, RB, WR
    Total third round and later round picks: NT, DB, DB, WR

Things do not look as bleak as we have made them out to be. I love Abraham, but he is simply not a 34 DE. Using him as a 'tweener' would have dropped his trade value. Abraham will put up better numbers with a better Dline, but we never built the Dline that he needed to truly excel.

My vision for the Jets is this:
    Offense:
    Power up the middle. Gi-normous Guards and a Center.
    Athleticism on the outside. Athletic Tackles.
    A blocking FB, a receiving FB
    A blocking TE, a receiving TE
    A power HB, a speed HB
    Coles, McCareins, and Cotch can get the job done at WR
    (fast, big, possesion/ clutch)

Defense:
    Fast, Big, Athletic Ends
    Massive NT (under 335 need not apply)
    Fast OLB's
    Strong, Average speed, but athletic ILB's
    Big safeties (6'2" and up FS and SS)
    Aggressive, hard hitting corners (5'10" - 6'0")

This is not to rule out talent based on height, but to have a rule rather than an exception.

2. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

You put some thought into this and I'll agree with your draft needs: QB, RB, OT, OG, but I feel we need a C too and there are only two that could start from day one in the draft. I would like us to walk away from day one of the draft with at least a RB, OT, OG, & C.

3. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

i stopped reading right there......b/c i realized you are an idiot
    We signed Ty Law to help win a championship...so when it hit week 4 and we realized chad/feidler went down....you wanted us to trade everyone within 2 weeks b4 the deadline and completely abandon the season

#3 thegoldengod, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

So basically your asking for the perfect team? easier said then done

5. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Offense

It is in rough shape without a franchise QB and a suspect Oline.

6. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

you wanted to trade ty law b4 he even played 6 games in a jets uniform...i cant get past that

7. nyjetsjetsjets

I apologize for asking you questions you are not qualified to answer.

And no DA JETS408 that is not a perfect team, just a realistic team identity that we could mold. We'll never know how the talent works out, but we'll have a mold. ie: Pittsburgh's defense and Oline, Rams offense, Ravens Defense, Patriots organization, Colts Offense and Defense. This gives us the option to pick and plug. We already have the following out of that list:

WR FB - askew
    OLB - vilma
    DE - ellis
    DE - robertson
    ILB - barton
    ILB - hobson
    DB - barrett
    DB - miller
    FS - coleman (under 6'2" granted)
    SS - rhodes
    WR - coles (speed)
    WR - mccareins (big)
    WR - cotchery (clutch/ possession)
    WR TE - baker
    POWER HB - houston (not really power, but he'll do)

#7 nyjetsjetsjets, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  8. The Offseason

The Offseason New Member

My worldbook says that only 3% of America is illiterate. I'm going to have to disagree with it on this one.

And maybe you should read ALL of what he wrote before you just pick at the first bad thing you see, because maybe if you actually read on after that., you would see he had a well-thought out post.

9. nyjetsjetsjets

Agreed. But now that we've gotten that off of our chest let's get all of that and build a dynasty [Cincinnati is lookin' pretty heartbroken too]. But the rest of the post addresses your coment.

I just see a light at the end of the tunnel for us. I would like to think that we can move in our own direction instead of trying to copy everyone else (West Coast Offense [cough, cough]). Yes there will be growing pains. That's life. Yes coaches will make mistakes. That's life. Yes Vanderjagt missed the scenario kick that Doug Brien missed. That's life. You shouldn't be on the payroll if you can't contribute. If you are a WR, an hour a day should be mandatory with the ball throwing machine. Practice, Film, Practice. I want CLONES (with their own individuality). I want perfection. I want fun. I want mandatory everything as a condition of employment. Your "job" is to bring the City of New York a championship. I want the bitter taste of defeat so that we never feel that way again. I want to play every game even if the number one bye is locked up so that we can stay sharp. I want execution so that playcalling becomes important, not suspect. Dammit! I want to coach!

10. MattMan

MattMan New Member

so what you're saying is that we should of traded ellis, but now hes the end in the 3-4? and if you do trade ellis, who would play end?

11. MattMan

MattMan New Member

this is a very logical scenerio, but whos going to play NT, probably the most important position on Defense

12. nyjetsjetsjets

We would probably have to draft a NT

13. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

alright alright...i agree with everything you say except dealing ty law or ellis. Both struggled on a D featuring them as the best players...so they both had bad seasons.

If i have to give you a reason for all the blunders in signings and playing, i give you one name: Herman "Straight as a Bent Pin" Edwards.

14. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Ok, this isn't baseball. You can't just trade every veteran player with a big contract for draft picks. It's not that easy.

And it's easy to list all the different types of players we need. Do you have any actual names?