What's our cap situation going into the future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Nice write up un www.nyjetscap.com on how the Jets should handle this uncapped season in the assumption the cap will be back in 2011.

To put things into perspective these are the estimated deals to re-sign our stars:

Revis - 84 mill 6 years (that means 14 mill a season)

Ferguson - 70 mill 6 years (about 12 mill)

Mangold - 45-50 mill 6 years (about 8 mill)

Harris - 35 mill 5 years (about 7 mill)

B. Edwards - 28 mill 4 years (about 7 mill and I'm being optimistic, but this deal won't be done this off-season)

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2010uncapped.html

To these contracts you have to add Pace (7.3 mill - 3 years), Sanchez (9.5 - 3 years) and Scott (8 - 3 years).

Other notables are Moore (4 mill - 3 years), Cotchery (3.8 - 3 years), Leon (I'm guessing around 3.5/4 - 3 years).

That means that roughly these 11 players will count for 80-85 mill against a 2011 and 2012 cap. By anticipating some of the bonuses in 2010 you might scale it down a little but not that much...

I have TONS of cofindence in Tanny's ability to get them all signed and to have some cap room in the future but IMO with all of these big signings ahead we have to clear as much room as possible over the next couple of years... this is the situation:

Rhodes
    - (7 mill a season, but his contract is weird... cap wise it actually may be more conveinient to keep him around for 2010 and 2011)

Gholston
    - (I really don't understand his contract figs http://www.nyjetscap.com/vernongholston.html)

Faneca - will get cut in 2011 (8.4 cap hit, only 1.6 in dead money)

Woody - might get cut in 2011 (4.3 mill contract with 1 mill in dead money) or 2012 (5 mill vs .05 in dead money)

Ellis, TJ - will prob retire after 2010 or anyways they won't command big money (now they do)

Sheppard
    - (goodbye 3 mill a season contract)

B. Thomas - 2010 is his last year with a big money contract... after that he'll be available for much cheaper money (plus he'll have no dead money in 2011 in case we need to cut him).

I began this write up with a very pessimistic idea of how our situation was but it seems as if actually we are in a very good situation going into the future. Ellis, TJ, Sheppard, Thomas after the 2010 season and Faneca and Woody in 2011/2012 will free up a good amount of money! Rhodes and Gholston are our only bad contracts (structure-wise, especially Gholston's) but they might free some money up too... plus let's not forget this year we also had a staggering 12 mill in dead money.

All in all Tanny has done an excellent job (as we expected since he supposedly is a cap guy) and while no one knows how a future cap might look like we should have no problem getting under it with all our big stars already signed to hefty contracts.

i do however think it would be risky to bring in big money (more than 3 mill a season) FA in 2010 or 2011... first let's re-sign our guys.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I've read in multiple places that there will almost certainly never be a cap again if it goes to an uncapped year.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Meh... it's all up in the air at the moment... but I think our front office should operate in a "worst case scenario" which means to assume there will be a cap... if there isn't it's only better for us.

Acutally I'd hate the idea of not having a fixed cap but I can see a NY team taking advantage of it's market...

4. All Star

All Star Active Member

Basically Gholston counts for about 3.5 million against the cap, but we will lose all his bonus money in cap money if we cut him.

We will lose money on the cap if we cut him no matter what, so he is staying unless cut during the uncapped year

5. WhiteShoeWillis

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63447

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah that is what seems to be the case, if a uncapped year does occur it'd be damn near impossible to go back.

I want this to happen, it's about time our large market team gets to reap the benefits.

I would feel just a tiny bit bad for the small market teams, many of them that compete now would be headed the way of the Royals and Pirates.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

I have to wonder if (at least part of the reason) Tanny was so active in FA the last couple of years because he saw this coming.

8. All Star

All Star Active Member

Looking at the 2010 cap page, there is no way Thomas Jones would come back if there was a cap.

We can save 5.9 million on the cap by cutting him.

He could probably easily restructure though...

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

What I've heard though is that while that is great news for the big players, the small players will get screwed because no top cap also means no low cap and many teams (like the rebuilding ones or the small market ones) may decide to save a lot of money by cutting down their players contracts.

Again, it's all speculation... I'll I know is that I don't want a cap coming back in 2011 and us loosing one of our big players because we didn't act when we colud've.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

2010 isn't the problem... there's a 90% chance that goes uncapped... according to Schefter, La Canfora etc... it's 2011 I'm worried about...

11. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

Does anyone else still root for Gholston.. like after reading the article, I'm kinda excited that the kid (and i say kid even though he's older than me)... gets another shot.. granted its prob his last shot.. but still..

not sure if this is a fair comparison.. but look at Vernon Davis... in the sense that he had a GREAT combine and underperformed for the first few years.. but then this year HE EXPLODED.. he had almost 1000 yards receiving this season, which was almost more than his prior 3 combined..

I know VG gets no love and rightfully shouldn't.. but is there anyone else that wants to see him on the field next season.. or would it be better to cut him and have someone else active for the game

12. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

worried about what?.. 2011 being another uncapped season.. or 2011 being capped and we get screwed because of all the new agreements..

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

2011 being capped again and us not having done all the right things to keep all our stars here...

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the union would be crazy to not agree to a cap.no cap will only help the top 2% of the players.if the players dig in and make the cap a deal breaker we're gonna be board as hell come 2011

15. All Star

All Star Active Member

Oh I am a big Gholston fan, just pointing out the facts though. He's uncuttable as long as there is still a cap.

And to be fair, Davis was hurt his first season and wissed 6 games, and he still had 7 touch downs his first 2 seasons combined, he put up not so different numbers than Dustin Keller did. Gholston has yet to get a sack as a big pass rushing LBer.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Would it even be possible to re-implement a cap one year removed? I would imagine you'd have a handful of teams that would spend like a drunken sailor if/when the cap goes away. How could the league turn around and tell these teams that they have to get under some cap in 1 season? The teams that did spend a lot would also likely be big revenue generators for the league, so I can't imagine they'd want to really piss them off.

I'm wondering what the logistics of that would be. I can't make much sense of it. My opinion is that it would be EXTREMELY unlikely that 2011 would have a cap if 2010 didn't. Add to that, the fact that league sources are saying it's unlikely it would EVER come back, so to think it would come back in 2011 seems like a pretty big stretch.

17. All Star

All Star Active Member

I heard there could possibly be a lockout in 2011.

18. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

ME TO.. i forgot about that.. actually i remember hearing that there is more likely to be a lockout than back to back uncapped seasons.. not sure how credible my sources are.. since I really haven't heard anything lately..

But I definitely remember hearing that if a new CBA isn't negotiated for the 2011 season there is going to be a lockout..

19. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

So basically, everything I just read.. after the 2010 season.. if a new CBA isn't reaches the current salary cap "expires"... which basically means the NFL turns to into the MLB.. with teams basically buying the best players.. this also leads to teams like the Jags and the Bills, with low fan bases or lack of money, to possibly drop from the league..

so to avoid that there would have to be a lockout until a new agreement is reached.. a year without football is disgusting and I never hope I have to think about that again..

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Peter King has be screaming 2011 lockout for weeks...would really suck if there were no football in 2011. New stadium, good young team, and no games.