What QB do we draft now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Who do we draft at QB?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2018.
  1. Allen

10.6%
  2. Mayfield

33.3%
  3. Darnold

13.6%
  4. Rosen

28.8%
  5. Jackson

3.0%
  6. Rudolph (after round 1)

3.0%
  7. Falk (after round 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (after round 1)

6.1%
  9. No one

1.5%
  1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

When it comes to my top guy at #6, Rosen was my early on favorite (from Sept-November). Rosen can make every throw, and he's probably the best passer in the draft right now. However, his durability is a big concern for me. He has better prototypical size than Mayfield, but he's more slight of frame. Despite being 6'1, Mayfield is a solid 220 pounds.

In my opinion, there are a few intangibles quarterbacks need to possess, and you won't find them on a stat sheet. Intelligence is one obviously, the ability to lead, and having the confidence or moxie to be "the guy" for the other players on the roster to rally around. If you look at the most successful quarterbacks of all time, all of them have had these traits. If you listen to that interview that Mayfield gave today, he convinces you that he has those things. The guy walked on to 2 programs, beat out both teams' incumbent starters and flourished.

When the Jets drafted Sanchez in '09, you can tell he wanted to be that guy, but it wasn't convincing. He tried with the Jets West thing for example, but you could tell it was just a facade. When I listen to teammates talk about Mayfield and the way he speaks, you can tell he was always "the guy". Aside from their displayed lack of talent in the NFL, Petty & Hack don't share that type of confidence. Could you picture Hack trying to rally the troops? Sign me up for a field general that is willing to do whatever it takes to win, and Mayfield is that guy for me.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I honestly can't argue with you, and you may well be right, but from what I've seen of them both, Rosen is another notch above everyone else. I acknowledge the durability concern, but to me that's the only knock - no question at all whether he can step right in and produce. Unless Macc trades up I doubt Rosen falls to 6 - and maybe even to 3 - so I would be okay with the "2nd Place Prize" of Mayfield.

3. rockyusmc2003

Agreed with Rosen's level of talent. I was losing my mind watching the Texas A&M game last year, he's certainly a gamer.

If the Jets don't land Cousins, let's hope Denver signs him and not Minnesota. If Denver signs Cousins, the landscape at the top will change and the Jets might have a better chance at landing one of these guys. Although, I have a feeling that if they really want someone, they are going to have to get to #3 or #4.

I'd be happy with either Rosen or Mayfield.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

HE is the QB I want the Jets to get. I don't want Rosen. I don't want Jackson. Allen scares the crap out of me. Darnold, I'm meh on after this past season, but would take him over Rosen, Allen or Jackson. I think Mayfield is going to be a great QB. He is a leader, competitor, and I think his attitude is the right attitude for NY and Jets, not Rosen's.

5. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting this.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree actually. I just like him better than Jackson. I think a player like Jackson will have a very difficult time staying healthy and adjusting to playing in the NFL. Allen is more of a pocket passer and that is just my preference. I don’t want either.

7. ColoradoContrails

Allen is going to cost some GM his career. Jackson is a wild card. He'll need a system tailored around him, but if that happens, he could be a great QB. I don't think the Jets are the right team for that reason.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Disrespect>>>>>>Put on ignore..NC ....believe me you miss out on anything intelligent

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love the moxy of B Mayfield and gut is screaming he is a WINNER now and forever ...would be very happy getting him

Rosen can just step in and play RIGHT NOW ..but durability is a concern...hey if gets us a couple of SB or even one before his brain is scrambled I am NOT complaining

So for me it's Rosen or Mayfield as number ones...that said if you DONT trade up to the 3 spot( not THAT expensive) you are asking for trouble ...MOVE UP AND SECURE YOUR QB..Jets at 3 would be in the Crows Nest and see how the first two picks play out

Darnold would be third...but a shaky third because he fumbles/intercepts and has the M Sanchez USC curse on him ahahahahah

I could live with Allen but NOT L Jackson

The rest are just long shots imo

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The intangibles you are describing is exactly what Rosen lacks.
    He has the intelligence sure, but not that special quality that players will rally around. I think he will clash with coaches as well, and you can't ignore the durability concerns.

I agree Mayfield has that quality though, as does Allen.

11. BacktoQueens

This guys entire premise is high school stats and FBS numbers?
    He didn't show an inkling of tape. lol this isn't moneyball.

Check out his tape versue Air Force this year.
    I've watched most of his games, and this one is a decent synapse of the season.
    It's no highlight tape. There is good and bad.

Some things that stand out:
    - he takes a beating. Wyoming couldn't pick up a single blitz. Certainly showed he can take a hit, but damn they made Air Force look like a team of Von Miller's. Against better competition, it's even worse.

- when he is not rushed (rare) I see very good footwork and he's throwing accurate ropes

- it's a pro style offense, and he shows good footwork taking snaps under center. this offense is far from dink and dunk safe passes, which also factors into the completion %.

- executes play action well.

- throws great on the move

- I see his athleticism being very hard to defend in red zone or 2pt conversion situations. 1:56 of the tape was a nice play design, very hard to defend the pass along with running threat.

- often see him throwing too hard, he will need to work on his touch. NFL receivers will also be able to catch his harder throws though.

- tries sometimes to make plays that aren't there.

I think he will benefit from a year of learning and adjusting to NFL speed.
    But man there are just so many positives there.
    He had great coaching and experience with pro style offense. He's got all the tools you need, and incredible intangibles.
    My only question is whether the Jets coaching can help him put it all together, but I have that question regardless of any QB they draft.
    I'd rather shoot for the highest ceiling provided we don't have to trade up.

#111 BacktoQueens, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  12. ColoradoContrails

Before you knock Rosen for someone who his teammates won't rally around, could you supply a link to anything that supports that that doesn't rely on anonymous sources? The articles I've read say the opposite.

13. BacktoQueens

just google 'josh rosen attitude'..

Here are two articles mentioning characteristics like ego, arrogance, sense of entitlement, being a 'dick', and questions as to whether he can galvanize a team.
    Granted some are from anonymous sources, but the sources were NFL general managers. That is significant.
    I played football, and was a team captain, and those characteristics generally don't translate well in a locker room at all.....and especially don't work for leadership.

Considering these stories are not new, where is the ground swell of support from coaches and players dispelling these articles as false?
    He's played with probably 100 different teammates, and we've heard from maybe one guy? If it was all bullshit, I'd think they'd be coming out in droves to support their teammate. I know I would. Yet I don't see that happening.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/02/26/t...n-has-a-bad-attitude-could-cost-him-millions/
    https://thebiglead.com/2017/05/04/n...osen-tons-of-issues-and-a-mess-off-the-field/

I don't have personal access to the player, so it's hard to say for sure. A lot will come down to team interviews and background research.
    But it's a major red flag, and I don't understand how you and others on this board have no concerns at all.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We remember getting our asses handed to us by a cokehead for 15 years.

I believe nothing that is attributed to an NFL GM prior to the draft. Those guys are juking so hard to get an advantage that the fiction becomes mountainous.

Without the personality issues Rosen would be the clearcut #1 pick in this draft. That gives 31 GM's and 5 groups of agents a lot of reason to cast doubt on his personality.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

In general, what you said is true, but notice that some of the comments were made two years ago. That's pretty early to start juking, especially when Rosen could have stayed at UCLA another year. Also, as BacktoQueens said, if what those GMs said is not true, where are all his teammates? Why aren't they defending him? In addition, why did Mara continually have to ask him, "Who do you want to be Manning or Manziel?"

Based on talent and production alone, Rosen could be the consensus #1 sans these negative comments about his attitude and off field "issues," but the concussions, his lack of maneuverability/escapability in the pocket in spite of being a tennis player, and his slim build could also keep him from being the consensus #1.

#115 NCJetsfan, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. rockyusmc2003

Watch full tape of Allen, not highlight tapes. It's an entirely different animal.

To be fair, compare a good game.

17. BacktoQueens

fair enough point, and Marino is a good example for your argument.
    these stories have been circulating for awhile though, so I don't think GM's and scouts were trying for misdirection two drafts in advance.

do you have no concerns at all regarding his character and personality?
    how about his injury history?

18. BacktoQueens

lol this wasn't a highlight tape.
    it's his game vs Air Force. I've watched most of his games, and this was a fairly average one.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

MPH

20. rockyusmc2003

I've watched almost all his games from 2016 & 2017, and his issues from 2016 carried into 2017. Even with a better supporting cast, he does the same things wrong.

He has amazing intangibles, but that's not enough for me to look past: inconsistent feet, jumpy in the pocket, waits too long for plays to develop, throws into bad coverages, doesn't see left side pressure until it's in his face, anticipation on throws is lack luster.

Sure, these things could get cleaned up, but those are more issues than the other top dogs. Too much risk for me at 6, especially with this franchise.