What if Darnold is there at 3?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 18, 2018.

?

With the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1. Great pick, we have our FQB!

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. I like it, but I am skeptical.

20 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. This pick looks good on paper, but will prove to be a mistake.

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Yeah, I'm going to be honest, it will shock me if Cleveland doesn't take Darnold #1. I know a lot of reporters are saying they are hearing buzz about Allen going #1, but there is a reason they call this time of year "silly season". I can't find one legitimate reason you would draft Josh Allen when Sam Darnold is sitting there for the taking, besides the fact that the Browns are the Browns. The fact that John Dorsey is running that show leads me to believe they will make the right decision and draft Darnold.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well in that case your comparison was almost as bad as Leaf comparing Mayfield to himself.

There's a difference between having that type of personality and being awful (Lynch) and having that type of personality while actually having accomplished something (Mayfield). Also Mayfield for me was hands down the best QB in the country this year. I also know that me saying he was better than Jackson in 2016 will not go over well in this discussion, so I won't say it...

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not really, you just miscomprehended what I said. I was talking about Mayfield and Lynch starting a bro band. Also, Leaf had an excellent point about how a player reacts when things aren't going well. I think its valid. Sooners win routeinly 12 games a year with or without Mayfield.

And yes, Jackson was better in 2016 and was just as good in 2017 with far less talented players. Feel free to continue feeling the way you feel, not here to change minds.

4. BroadwayAaron

Just seems odd to compare Mayfield and Lynch if you weren't trying to imply that Mayfield will be just as bad as Lynch is/will be, I guess.

And yea, I'm just going to agree to disagree. I never thought Mayfield would be a good pro QB until maybe November-ish of this year. In fact I was on the Lamar bandwagon myself in 2016. But the more I watched and the closer the draft got (which means more footage/breakdowns) the more I started to realize Mayfield is absolutely a pro QB and has total breakout star potential while Jackson has a much longer way to go.

5. 101GangGreen101

I mentioned Lynch because he was the last QB that the majority of the fanbase wanted. Both had darling personalities, obviously different players, one more fiery but total bros. Nothing in terms of talent.

We see things differently and there's nothing wrong with that. I watched a lot of Lamars games this year, majority of the dropbacks and there's no doubt in my mind I can create an offense based off his skillsets and that offense would thrive. No QB improved at the rate Lamar did in college. His progressions from year to year is very impressive. Along with the added responsibility.

6. BroadwayAaron

I don't think a majority of the fanbase wanted him. I know I sure as hell didn't. I actually only remember it being the "we need to draft a QB no matter what" crowd that wanted to take Lynch as early as we would have had to take him. He was one gigantic (literally) red flag from top to bottom.

And your Lamar opinions are well-known at this point... no reason to keep this part of the convo going.

7. 101GangGreen101

Go back and check the threads on Lynch. He was very popular around here. He wasn't a red flag to many here.

I put in a lot of work researching him as a player for close to 2 years. I don't just start watching them play, I tend to watch them a year earlier and see if they can improve on certain things. I knew what Lamar had to improve on and he did just that.

8. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

100% correct, maybe 1 year.

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That could happen, but that only happens if the guy they select isn't a FQB. I know you aren't a big believer in Mayfield, but we would just have to wait and see. No way of knowing that with any certainty this early on.

10. BroadwayAaron

Not debating that Lamar improved, but my issue is he still has a ton of improving to do.

11. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

That's fair enough but there are so many warning signs with Mayfield it's comical. I think that so many Jet fans have convinced themselves that he's this elite prospect based only on the fact that he's most likely to be available when the Jets pick, not that he's worthy of that pick. He was a projected fringe 2nd round pick just 6 months ago, he doesn't have half the physical ability of either Darnold or Rosen, he didn't play anywhere near the same level of competition they did, and if you look at his collage career closely you'll see he really never stepped up in big spots. Add it all up and if Mayfield is the pick for the Jets at 3, many Jet fans will be cheering for the bus that runs them over.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

You really only see Jets fans saying he's going to be a good QB? Branch out, friend.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I hear you and I do respect your opinion.

I would just like to counter that Mayfield does have the physical abilities. He has a plenty strong arm and is elusive and get avoid the rush. You are right, he has shot up the board, but I think rightly so. He is an incredible leader and has the accuracy that it takes to succeed in the NFL. I am a big fan of all the analytics out there that highlight his ability to throw into tight windows. People make the claim he only throws to wide open receivers and while its true, analytics suggest he is the best when throwing into those tight windows.

Like I said, I hear you and you could be right. I just really like his chances personally.

14. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

Never said only, he's following the classic pattern of a late draft riser. That happens to players in every draft based on a number of factors, especially when the focus on a player shifts from what they are, to what fans and media "project' they could be. When Mayfield fails in the NFL, and he will, more than half the fans thumping their chest for him right now won't remember doing so.

15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

We're with you, to the end of the line

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

You maybe right as well, and to be accurate, I didn't say he he didn't have the physical abilities, I said he doesn't have near the physical abilities of Darnold or Rosen. Even that, in and of itself doesn't mean he can't be a good or even great NFL QB. We've all seen guys with insane physical ability flat out fail at the NFL level, no what I'm talking about with Mayfield is a combination of factors that have him projected far beyond what his innate skills and collage production would indicate. For me it comes down to the fact that many are suddenly comparing him on the same level or above, as Darnold or Rosen and even to a lesser extent Allen, this is simply ridiculous. There is no empirical evidence that puts him there, some have simply decided that he's their guy and that's it, nothing to back it up except a gut instinct or "he's a winner". Well when it comes to the draft, you better hope the Jets G.M. isn't thinking on that level or swayed by fan opinion, because that's when you end up with the Vernon Golstons of the world.

#76 shasta01, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    PennyandtheJets likes this.
  17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If Darnold's there at #3 you sprint to the podium (same with Rosen). .

If neither is there, fine; .then Mac drafts the next guy.

[​IMG]

#77 joe, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

next week! Thank God, I will be home from my work trip just in time for the movie! I got tickets for Saturday, so I can watch the draft on Friday

19. 101GangGreen101

Its going to kill me if someone else from the AFC East gets a franchise QB, and we don't get the player the "fans / players wanted". 2 teams and I could never betray Curtis Martin, but I think I would just watch Red Zone and just focus less energy on the Jets.

20. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

Well, I could honestly see 2-3 Franchise QB's coming out of this draft and maybe 1-2 Really good starters. One thing I'm certain of is that the Jets, Bills, and Pats will all draft QB's at some point. Maybe the Fins as well, but really the next decade of great QB play may well reside in the AFC East.