What do the Giants do after the season?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

At 1-6 their season is obviously over. It was basically over 3 weeks ago, but it's pretty much official now.

Do they blow it up? Fire McAdoo & Reese?

Think about trading Eli for some picks (To Jacksonville to reunite with Coughlin?)? I know this seems crazy for a guy who won them 2 SB/SB MVP's. But I've done some snooping on Giants message boards and it's being discussed. A couple WFAN callers even suggested playing Geno fricken Smith because he's more mobile. :rolleyes:

Do they keep it all together and look to make one last run?

They'll likely take a quarterback if they end up with a top 5 pick, regardless of what their future plans are.

I'm not a fan of McAdoo at all. I think he's an arrogant dude who places all of the blame on his players and doesn't take accountability for his own coaching blunders.

Reese has been an awful drafter outside of finding Odell, Collins, Pugh & JPP. They have no contributors on the roster from 2011-2014 EXCEPT for Odell, Pugh and I guess their shitty center Weston Richburg. He also completely stood pat with his offensive line despite it being a glaring weakness and instead added two more targets in Marshall & Ingram (Ingram who at least looks like a player).

What would you do?
    1)
    Keep or fire Reese?
    2) Keep or fire McAdoo & staff?
    3) Draft QB of the future if they're high enough? Or a player that will contribute immediately ala Saquon Barkley, offensive tackle, edge rusher/cornerback.
    4) Keep Eli? Trade Eli?
    5) Look to potentially cut certain veterans to free up cap space if you rebuild? Vernon, Harrison, Jenkins?

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Try to win some games so we can do our tanking hahaha

My two kids are big Giant fans..I'll ask them

Otherwise couldn't care less

I looked at their Schedule ...I see they lost by less than a touchdown in a few of their losses so far

Today was a bad one 21-7 ? To Seahawks a caliber team

They play the Rams and Niners so those could be wins Raiders Cards 2 games against Washington will help

Toughest: Eagles Cowboys KC

No one thought they would beat Denver and they did ...9 games to go and I see 5 poss wins there

#2 NYJetsO12, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Given how unpopular he is with the players they should fire McAdoo and company.

They should fire Reese, but I don't think it's assured that they will - supposedly people like Mara and Tisch like him.

If they draft high enough so that a QB they really like is there and they don't take him they're crazy - Eli has never been an elite QB, and he isn't going to be getting better in the future. Of course, the highly hyped college QBs have been quite underwhelming this year, which makes things murkier for everyone.

They would only trade Eli if they got a ridiculous offer, and I don't think Jacksonville is ready to give them one (I don't see anyone else even thinking about it). The problem is that by the time Jacksonville is desperate enough to do the trade it will probably be too late for Eli to get into a rhythm with the OL and receivers, making the trade not worth it.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It’ll be a disaster if they keep mcdoodoo but fire Reese. Reese should have been shown the door last year but he wasn’t.

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

I think Eli would have plenty of time in the offseason to gel with that team. They have good young targets, a top tier running game and a decent offensive line. Not to mention their stifling defense that are all pretty young.

They're literally a quarterback away. I wonder if they are going to be in-play for Kirk Cousins. Not sure they have the cap space to be that competitive to get him.

Drew Brees could also be looked at for them. It's a warm weather place to play although he's thrown something like 60 more interceptions away from the Dome.

To answer my own question, I would not trade Eli unless it's for multiple first round picks. You don't trade away your franchise quarterback, especially one that won you two Super Bowls. But it's being discussed a lot on Giants boards.

I would fire both Reese and McDooshbag. But they still have a good core on both sides of the ball to be a contender for another year or two.

The Vikings rebuilt their entire offensive line. 5 new starters. And the Giants completely stood pat and it is the downfall of their team. Inexcusable for Reese, especially when he had the maneuverability to do so and just tried to load up on receiving targets. Mind blowing for a team that could've been a legitimate SB contender if they fixed that unit.

6. statjeff22

Any GM who would trade away multiple first round picks for Eli Manning would deserve to be fired on the spot.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

What if he takes you to a Super Bowl?

8. statjeff22

I see no reason to think he will. The Giants were amazingly lucky to win the two Super Bowls (especially the second one, since they were only 9-7 that year and were actually outscored during the regular season). Eli is no more an elite QB than Jim Plunkett was, who also won two Super Bowls without being anywhere near as good as dozens of QBs who never even won one.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I've been seeing incredible things out of the Jaguars defense to the point where a quarterback like Eli could take them deep with another year of development under their belts. There's no denying that Eli is a great postseason performer.

The Jaguars defense isn't the 1985 Bears of course. But they're damn good. They have 33 sacks through 7 games. The all-time record is 72 by the '84 Bears. They're on pace to come pretty damn close to that. They also have excellent corners.

10. statjeff22

You're right, which is exactly why you don't give up two #1 draft picks for Eli - there are plenty of game managers around who can do well enough with a defense this good, who will cost you a whole lot less. Eli is just as likely to torpedo their season with a crushing pick six than to take them to the promised land.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough. They have some options next year and Alex Smith would be a good target for them if he shakes free. Younger than Brees and Eli and won't cost nearly as much in terms of money or picks. Sam Bradford is another option but the damn guy can't stay healthy.

It'll be interesting to see what the Jags do. I can't imagine them standing pat with Bortles.

Back to the Giants though. I wonder if they forego a QB if Barkley is there or try to draft a real left tackle in Trey Adams. I think they'd be foolish to pass up a franchise guy especially with Eli there. They can offer a smooth-ish transition like the Packers did with Favre to Rodgers (although not smooth in terms of their attitudes) and never miss a season without having a franchise quarterback under center.

12. statjeff22

As I said earlier, I definitely think they should, and will, take a high profile QB if one is available that they like. The problem is that it’s way easier to misfire on a QB choice than on a lineman or receiver (not that they need a receiver). It’s amazing how often supposed franchise QBs turn out to be nothing special. Of course, sometimes you get Carson Wentz, and it’s all worth it.

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The have the cap space if they decided to go after Cousins, they have almost $38M that will carry over to add to the $13M they have next year. Then again they will have to think who they want to resign also, Lee and Robinson rookie contracts are up, Posluszny is also a FA though don't know if they keep him, he has been seeing less snaps this season

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Robinson is coming off a torn ACL and Lee has been solid, not great. I think they could retain both of them and get Cousins. They'll slowly start to see their defense disinegrate over the next 4 years or so when they can no longer re-sign players.

But they'd really be gearing up to try to win before that happens, with Ramsey, Myles Jack & friends still on their rookie contracts.

That defense is too young and good to not go after a quarterback this offseason. Especially being an offseason where we may see the most QB movement in the history of the league.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

fuck the giants but they could be in a great spot going forward. I'd finish out the year losing as much as possible. Land a top 3 pick and draft one of the QBs.

They have an out after next year with Eli so it works perfect. Let Eli play one more year and take a beating behind that offensive line while the kid sits and learns. After 2018 you give Eli his walking papers or ask him to retire. Then you start a great prospect at QB, with a year of training, behind a roster catered to his skill set.

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Fix the offensive line and make the playoffs...the end.