What Are The Expectations of the 2018 Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 20, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can't be disappointed then! Great philosophy. :D

I think after watching the 2016 season, then watching the 2017 season, there is reason for optimism just comparing 2018 to those 2 years. Enough to expect a playoff spot? I don't think so. :)

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yeah, but absolutely horrendous for our 2nd round picks this year and next.

Still at least we competed instead of this rebuilding bull shit :rolleyes:

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Jets sorely need help along the defensive line.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Rebuilding bull shit? Seriously? It is obvious that is what the Jets needed to do. It's not as fun as being in the playoffs, but at least its honest and not acting in a delusional fashion as the Jets have been doing for years. Their secondary is in excellent shape (with the exception of Skrine), but their LB corps and their DL need a lot of work. There isn't a single quality starter on their OL unless it's Long. Their RB position is decent to pretty good as is their WR corps, but their TE corps is pretty bad unless Leggett stays healthy and proves to be good. Between Teddy and the rookie they take, they finally will have a shot at having a FQB, but there are no guarantees there.

This team is still 2-3 years away from being serious contenders, and that's if either the rookie or Teddy works out as the FQB, there are no serious injuries, and Mac does a great job with FA and the draft during that period..

5. K'OB

[QUOTE="NCJetsfan, post: 3674029, member: 20404"]Rebuilding bull shit? Seriously? It is obvious that is what the Jets needed to do. It's not as fun as being in the playoffs, but at least its honest and not acting in a delusional fashion as the Jets have been doing for years. Their secondary is in excellent shape (with the exception of Skrine), but their LB corps and their DL need a lot of work. There isn't a single quality starter on their OL unless it's Long. Their RB position is decent to pretty good as is their WR corps, but their TE corps is pretty bad unless Leggett stays healthy and proves to be good. Between Teddy and the rookie they take, they finally will have a shot at having a FQB, but there are no guarantees there.

This team is still 2-3 years away from being serious contenders, and that's if either the rookie or Teddy works out as the FQB, there are no serious injuries, and Mac does a great job with FA and the draft during that period..[/QUOTE]

Read the post I quoted and then see why it says "Rebuilding bullshit :rolleyes: " or should that have been bs, it is on the second line of his post and you should also note the :rolleyes: rolls eye emoji to give a further clue as to the real meaning.

Take your finger off the trigger mate ;)

6. NCJetsfan

Sorry! It really surprised me that you would respond that way based on your previous posts, so that should have been my clue to go back and read more carefully the post you were responding to. I had totally missed that the poster you were responding to had been the one to suggest dropping the rebuild BS. Again, my apologies! Carry on! :oops::D

#46 NCJetsfan, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    K'OB likes this.
  7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Mac is picking a franchise QB (hopefully the right one) but toilet will play McCown until the wheels come off then he will turn to Teddy. The rookie QB won't get much if any playing time, it's not the toilet way. 2018 will be a year where they'll be in the wildcard hunt, possibly even getting the 6 seed but it will not be a developmental year for the rookie QB. In that sense 2018 is a complete waste but a necessary one as it should mean the end of the toilet era and then the rookie can take over under the guidance of the Jets new HC in 2019.

8. NCJetsfan

Yes, we can go into this season optimistically because our GM finally showed some cohones and traded up to get a possible FQB, and made a great move in signing Teddy to give us two shots at finding a FQB.

We can also be optimistic because the team played hard, showed up for games and has some good young talent on it. Bowles did better than expected getting the team ready to play each week, so that provides some optimism as well.

We can also be optimistic because Mac replaced Forté with Crowell, replaced Wesley Johnson with Long, and got rid of Mo, who was a problem. In addition, we can be more optimistic regarding the OL since Winters should be healthy, and between a healthy Winters and Long at C, the OL play should be better overall, perhaps even markedly better. Enunwa will help our receiving corps so that also gives some hope or optimism.

With a year's experience, Adams and Maye should be even better, and with the addition of Johnson, re-signing of Claiborne, Brooks, Miles and Middleton, the Jets should have a solid secondary with the exception of Skrine.

We have 5 possible returners on the roster so should be able to find at least one good return man and get better production from STs, but will Cairo Santos be as good as Catanzaro? We also lost Stanford who was a very good STer for us. Who will replace him?

We can have hope that some of the other young Jets will have developed or will develop, step up and contribute more this season (Stewart, Hansen, Leggett, D. Smith, etc.), but hope and optimism aren't the same thing. Leggett, for all intents and purposes, missed his entire rookie season. Stewart and Hansen rarely saw the field, and is D. Smith even healthy?

That's about where the optimism ends, however. Rebuilding is NOT BS. Your statement is ignorant and utter nonsense. The Jets still have holes all over their roster, little depth, and are lacking in talent. The LB corps and DL need a lot of work. There isn't a single quality starter on their OL unless it's Long. The RB position is decent to pretty good as is the WR corps, but both could be upgraded pretty easily, and the TE corps is pretty bad unless Leggett stays healthy and proves to be really good. Between Teddy and the rookie they take, they finally will have a shot at having a FQB, but there are no guarantees there.

This team is still 2-3 years away from being serious contenders, and that's if either the rookie or Teddy works out as the FQB, there are no serious injuries, and Mac does a great job with FA and the draft during that period. It would be utterly foolish for the team to think they're set and go all in on making the playoffs this season. That's what they've done since 2010 and look where it has gotten us.

A 9-win season is very optimistic. I see only two games that could be classified as sure wins, vs. the Browns and vs the Colts. Even so, the Browns will be greatly improved under Dorsey, and it's no gimme. We could possibly beat the Broncos (even though they whipped our behinds this past season); could beat the Bears; could beat the Titans; and could beat the Bills and Dolphins, but it's highly unlikely that we would sweep all four of those games. If we win all those games, that's 9 wins. Even though we beat them in OT I don't see us beating the Jaguars unless Bortles reverts to his previous form. That would put us at 10 wins, but again, I just don't think it likely that we sweep both the Bills and Dolphins.

I don't see us beating the Pats, Vikings, Texans, and probably not the Lions.

The other thing to consider is who is playing QB. McCown had a career year last year. It's highly unlikely that he will be able to repeat that if he remains the starter. Teddy hasn't played in two years. While I think he will probably replace McCown, it make take 4-5 games before that happens. It would be great if there is a QB competition and Teddy wins it outright. I think that would give us our best chance of winning 8-9 games. If the rookie starts, we may be lucky to win 6 games. The same goes for McCown.

9. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

At least 8 wins. Hopefully in the race for a wildcard.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. K'OB

Sorry! It really surprised me that you would respond that way based on your previous posts, so that should have been my clue to go back and read more carefully the post you were responding to. I had totally missed that the poster you were responding to had been the one to suggest dropping the rebuild BS. Again, my apologies! Carry on! :oops::D[/QUOTE]

You know me 0-16 go for it rebuild, do it once do it right lol 5-11 sigh :D

11. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

The rookie will not play much, if at all. Bridgewater is a question mark, hopefully he is fine, but no guarantee. If McGown is the starter, he is a year older, and not likely to be better than last year.

FJF likes this.
  12. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Worst acceptable case 8-8. Anything below a .500 record is an utter failure. Even at 8-8, the team has to be trending in a positive direction, or Mac/Bowles are done.

If the team can put enough together to win the close games they lost in 2017, that would be moving in the right direction. Games like Miami/Atlanta/San Diego/New England (from 2017) MUST be finished the right way, that's for the players and the coaches.

I believe the defense will be much better than last year, and that alone could be the difference of 2-3 games. Adams/Maye will be more mature than last year, Johnson is an upgrade over Claiborne, and Claiborne is an upgrade over every other guy they lined up last year. Williamson will be Davis in the middle, I have hopes that Lee gets better (or will be used outside more), Jenkins started to stand out a bit last year, and I think Leo will be better without Mo (Mo did jack shit anyways last year. I actually like what I saw from Xavier Cooper towards the end of the season).

The offense is still a bit sketchy to me, I think they can be slightly better than 2017 (Pre-McCown injury)...But, there are question marks.

The WRs could be a bit better with Enunwa back (hopefully healthy, neck injuries are always unpredictable), but they have holes. Hopefully add a Hurns/Pryor to add depth, or have Hansen/Stewart mature (they would have to make a big jump from 2017). At this point, we don't know if Anderson will play all 16 games or be suspended.

RBs - The addition of Crowell will be solid. McGuire is 'Powell light', and Powell will be 30. So will Powell be taking Forte's limited touches, or will McGuire? Personally, I think they need to draft someone like Penny/Johnson/Jackson in rounds 3-5.

TEs- Will Leggett live up the the potential, or will he be the next Devin Smith? Tomlinson is serviceable, but nothing to write home about. Hopefully they can bring someone in via FA or the draft. Although, minus those 2nd round picks, it's going to be tough.

OL- Winters will be back, Long taking over for Johnson. I think the line will be better than 2017. Hopefully Shell is healthy. Could be the strength of the offense this year.

QB- Bridgewater/McCown/Rookie - Obviously, this will dictate a lot but no one knows how it will shake out after camp. I honestly don't see another big year from McCown.

All that said, I'd like to see at least a 9-7 season.

13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

When I said drop the rebuilding bs I did not mean to say we weren't rebuilding in '17 I just don't want it to be our excuse. I think we're better than that. That also doesn't mean we are not to some extent still building for the future. We were rebuilding...now we are building to be more competitive. Rebuild to me is what we did in '17 but 5 wins , 3 against playoff teams tells me we're better than that. We need a lot of work, but I don't want to use the excuse rebuilding any more.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Play Bridgewater or the rookie, if McClown plays it's a loss

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

We're gonna stink to high heaven.

Still with the right QB picked in round 1 this year we'll have a bright future to look forward to and another high draft pick in 2019 couldn't hurt the rebuild.:)

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Bowles will try to play McCown no doubt. Hopefully Bridgewater or #3 Pick outplays him in camp and forces Bowles to play them. Either way, highly doubtful McCown survives 12 games like he did last season. He is an injury waiting to happen. I still remember Week 1 in 2015, he didn't even make it 1 quarter against the Jets. :D

The team was pretty bad last year and still won 5 games. They also were so close to beating Dolphins, Falcons, and Panthers. They also laid complete eggs against the Buccaneers and Broncos. Plus hopelessly had no chance in the final 3 games with Petty. So when you factor all that together, a 2018 playoff push with the additions the team made is not that crazy to think.

matt robinson 17 and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

There is no sense to playing him at all, he's ancient

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Bowles will play the guy that performs best in training camp / preseason, he gave Hack every shot to grab the job. If Bridgewater isn't healthy and you draft Josh Allen, do you really want to throw him out there right away? If Allen performs well, then he plays IMO.

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

We have some bodies, and they added to the LB corps. Looks decent for 3-4. We need somebody to step up across from Jenkins.
    It looks devoid of a pass rusher tho, unless Mauldin somehow comes alive. But point taken, front looks like it needs some help. Maybe they bring back Ealy?
    We'll get a QB but looks like we'll still be searching for an outside pass rusher. Next year finally?

#59 Walt White, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Bridgewater was very standoffish when replying to a reporter asking if his knee injury will affect his off season and said he didn't feel" comfortable" talking about it... something tells me he may not even be on the team come the start of the season.