WeWantSapp's -- 2017 Off-season/Draft (1.0)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by wewantsapp, Jan 23, 2017.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

CUTS;
    Breno Giacomini
    Ryan Clady
    Nick Mangold
    Marcus Gilchrist
    Brandon Marshall
    Darrelle Revis
    Erin Henderson

Restructure
    David Harris Hitman didn’t really decline much. He has some pass coverage shortcomings, but his overall play has really not slipped, and he is a valuable teacher for rookie Darron Lee. The cap savings are not worth the hole the Jets would create in the middle of the defense by cutting him.

UFA – Let them go:
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Geno Smith

Kellen Davis
    Ben Ijalana

RFA – Let them go:
    Mike Catapano
    Julian Stanford
    Khiry Robinson
    Brandon Bostick
    Dexter McDougle
    Randell Johnson

UFA RE-SIGNS:
    Tanner Purdum
    Bruce Carter
    Brian Winters
    Re-signed already.
    Corey Lemonier
    Antonio Allen
    Josh Martin

RFA RE-SIGNS:
    Marcus Williams
    Wesley Johnson

FREE AGENTS?
    Riley Reiff LT 6-6 305
    Just turned 28 this past December 1. With Matt Stafford’s contract & recent deal to Darius Slay & Ziggy Ansah nearing the end of his rookie deal, Reiff will probably be a cap casualty. He’s more geared to RT, but our available options to put someone at LT are completely limited. Therefore, the price tag won’t be too expensive.
    Marcus Cooper CB 6-2 195.
    Good size, experienced & good tackler. Did reasonably well in Arizona considering he was targeted a lot being across from Patrick Peterson. Turns 27 on 2/1/2017.
    Bradley McDougald FS 6-1 209.
    Improvement over Gilchrist. 91 tackles this past season & 86 tackles the year before. Turned 26 back on 11/15/2016.
    Mike Glennon QB 6-6 225.
    Turned 27 this past December 12. Has made 21 appearances across 4 years & has completed 374-of-630 passes (59.4 percent) for 4,100 yards (6.5 YPA) and a 30:15 TD:INT mark. He's certainly held his own when under center. And probably looking at $13-$15 million per year.

TRADE Sheldon Richardson to the Washington Redskins for 1 of their 4th rounders.
    This year proved the Jets can't play Richardson, Wilkerson & Leonard Williams all at the same time. Someone has to go. Richardson’s recent comments, off the field issues, tendency to be late to team meetings & recent play has decreased his trade value. We also lost considerable leverage as everyone knows the Richardson / Wilkerson / Leonard Williams experiment is failing, and that he’ll cost us $8 million if he’s on the roster for 2017. In addition, - we made matters worse by playing SRichardson at OLB on occasion & thereby decreasing his value.
    Washington Redskins are terrible vs the run (24th ranking w/4.5 avg carry & 120 avg yrds/game). They play the 3-4 D & has 54 million in cap space available in 2017. Washington currently has Ricky-Jean Francois & Chris Baker playing the 3-4 DE positions w/no mentionable backups. 2016 is also a light draft for 3-4 DEs. The Redskins have 2 4th round picks. I am being very conservative maybe to a fault, so anything better will be gravy.

DRAFT

1/6 Jamal Adams SS LSU 6-0 211
    This pick follows my “plan for year 2” philosophy. This is what a strong safety looks like. If Calvin Pryor isn’t traded, then he’ll be released after 2017. The only thing that could change this pick is if the Chicago Bears select Adams instead of Malik Hooker. Incredibly athletic, instinctive & hard-hitting. Explosive on the field, - tough in run support & but also has great instincts in pass coverage. I think the guy is better than Eric Berry. Troy Polamalu clone. Nowhere near the liability vs the pass that Calvin Pryor is.

2/38 Desmond King CB Iowa 5-10 206
    Finally – a 2nd round pick who is pretty much guaranteed to see the damn field!!!! Boy, - our secondary sucked. We’ve got New England Patriots cast-off Darryl Roberts playing full time snaps. There will be a run on the CBs this April. The better CBs will be gone (ranking = M. Humphrey, Q. Wilson, M. Lattimore, A. Jackson, S. Jones, J. Tabor and G. Conley). I like D. King more than T. White & C. Tankersley. And King is another guy I see who is capable of changing the culture on the NYJ. Senior, team leader w/some nastiness. Some are projecting him @ FS, but I think he’ll stick at CB. If not, - then we’ve got a FS as well (so many holes on this roster). Good size & decent enough speed w/4 (yes 4) solid years at Iowa. Great tackler.

3/70 Antonio Garcia OT Troy 6-6 293
    Excellent feet & a terrific slide. A lot will be determined by the upcoming Senior Bowl where the practices during the week are arguably more important than the game itself. Has started 36 consecutive games at LT. LT, preferably, is a 1st round-top 10 draft position. But as everyone knows, - we’re completely effed this year. Plenty of NFL teams starting non-top 10 players at LT.
    EDIT --- and do you believe it??!! --- I’m late getting this in before the news breaks:
    Rotoworld's Josh Norris believes Troy T Antonio Garcia is the top player attending the Senior Bowl at the start of the week.
    It is a huge week for the Troy left tackle. He is not currently listed among the top offensive lineman in this draft, but Norris believes that changes this week. He will face off against premiere edge rushers play after play. Garcia's tape against Clemson is one of the best in this class, and his other games are on that same level. Garcia might shine as a pass protector, but he also loves to finish runs with an aggressive mentality. Source: Josh Norris on Twitter Jan 23 - 8:59 AM

4th/No JETS pick === Brandon Shell trade in 2016 NFL Draft
    Traded to Washington in 2016 draft to take Brandon Shell OT in the 5th round. Shell looks like he could very well be our RT of the future. So far, I am optimistic.

4/106 (from Washington in Sheldon Richardson trade) Kendell Beckwith ILB LSU 6-2 252
    I’d like us to work something out with David Harris on a 1 year deal. Beckwith tore his ACL in the Florida game back on 11/19/2016 and really won’t be ready for TC & unprepared for the 2017 season. Beckwith was a 3yr everydown starting ILB at LSU & their 3-4 D scheme. Can be the battering ram with Darron Lee picking up the tackles similar to what Bart Scott did for David Harris.

4/141 (Snacks Harrison compensation pick) Vince Biegel OLB Wisconsin 6-3 242

A good GM will use the 4th & 5th round picks to build the roster, bring in solid Special Teams contributors and try to find possible starters 2 or 3 years down the road. I’m willing to give Lorenzo Mauldin & Jordan Jenkins more time to develop, but I love Biegel out of Wisconsin. He plays like his hair is on fire. Another culture changing player. This is good value at this point in the draft.

5/147 Brian Hill RB Wyoming 6-0 219
    The RB position falls to the latter part of the draft, but I really really like Brian Hill. 2016 season saw almost 1500yrds w/5+ avg & caught 41 passes out of the backfield.

6/187 Jon Toth C Kentucky 6-5 310
    Need a fallback option in case Wesley Johnson doesn’t work out. Toth is a 4yr starter vs top flight SEC competition. Alabama senior DL Jonathan Allen called Kentucky's offensive line the "most physical" unit he faced this season. Intelligent & a team leader. Culture changer.

7/233 Kyle Kalis OG Michigan 6-4 305
    OL depth. All-Big 10 2 years in a row.

#1 wewantsapp, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    GWjet, themorey, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with all your moves with current Jets players except regarding Ijalana. The Jets will need an experienced backup at LT. Ijalana is it and he can play either OT position. There are no guarantees that we'll be able to sign Reiff. If we can't, we'll need a starter and a backup at LT. Neither Qvale or Shell can play LT. With Garcia being a bit of a project, I think it would be smarter to keep Ijalana. In addition, who knows how Shell will work out at RT? Keeping Ijalana and Qvale provides some insurance there. If Garcia proves to not be a project and can start day one at LT, great. Even if we've signed Reiff, he can then slide to his normal position RT and Shell can be the backup for another season or two.

I don't know Cooper or McDonald, but like the positions you've addressed in FA. A couple of other posters like McDonald, so he sounds like a good signing. I'll check out Cooper.

I don't know any of the players from Biegel down, but like the positions addressed. I do recognize Toth's name, and think he will go a lot earlier than the 6th round. Rather than an OG in the 7th round, I think I would add another CB to help STs.

Overall, an awesome job. Sign me up for that.

GWjet likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

WOW! You did a lot of homework!

As for the cuts and signings, I agree with most of the cuts, except Smith, who I would think about resigning as the vet QB because he probably won't cost as much as the other options, and he won't be a roadblock to developing anyone younger like Petty, Hack, or Watson. I agree with trying to upgrade the secondary via FA.

As for the draft I have a MAJOR disagreement. Despite the woeful production from our offense, you spend 3 of your first 4 picks on "D", and don't even draft a skill position on "O" until the 5th round! All I can say is that we are diametrically opposed in philosophy. In my draft, I would go:

1. Watson, of if he's not there, Fournette or Cook
    2. Ramczyk, or if not there, Bolles
    3. Pass Rusher - BPA
    4. RB - BPA
    5. FS or CB - BPA

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1 [RBs], 2, 4 are major reaches at 6. Ramczyk and Bolles are late firsts / early second at best so in a trade-down sure. Everyone loves Ramczyk, but he's getting hip surgery. Cook and Fournette, we have Powell who is a good player, this is a luxury pick. Fournette has a chronic ankle issue. Take the BPA with the % of need. Watson more than likely will be a Bear, and I would 110% pass on a Fournette unless both safety prospects are taken and certain edge rushers are off the board. Cook in a trade-down also very intriguing.

5. 101GangGreen101

Solid Mock btw Sapp, but the question is what will you do with Pryor for this year? Adams clearly the better player.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Reasonable, but Powell isn't a feature back, nor can he break a game open like Fournette or Cook, who are both Adrian Petersen-level, so if we don't get Watson - and I agree I think he'll be gone by #6 - then getting a RB who can take the load of the QB is a priority IMO. Personally, I would see if I could trade up to get Watson, but I know the Jets won't, and most people on this board wouldn't either, but I've given my reason why I thnk Watson should be taken now rather than waiting for "pie in the sky" in 2018.

I wasn't aware that Ramczyk is getting surgery, but there are others close to him - maybe better? - who cold be gotten with their 2nd pick, Bolles for one.

I don't think any S/CB is worth the #6 pick for the Jets as they are now constituted. Their defense, while needing improvement, isn't a disaster, and if there was one thing they DO need it would be a stud pass rusher who would substantially reduce the pressure on the secondary. But again, the higher priority is getting the offense upgraded to put pressure on the other team, which by extension also improves the defense by keeping them off the field.

7. wewantsapp

Thanks for the feedback. I must admit – good perspective about Ijalana. He won’t really cost anything. And with Garcia being a possible project (who knows – he might start at LT), - it makes sense to get an experienced cheap stop-gap in there as opposed to a long-term higher $$ signing. If you do that, the draft pick will make less sense.

I’m confident w/Shell as RT starter w/Qvale backing him up. Considering the reps that Qvale split with Ijalana at RT earlier this year, - I didn’t even notice Giacomini’s absence.

Since my posting, part of believes that we’ll have more CAP $$ to spend than what I allotted, -- especially if we miss out on getting a LT in FA. Might be worth it to throw our hat in the ring for A.J. Bouye (UFA w/the Texans turning 26 in August, 2017 & PFF #6 cover corner) instead of Marcus Cooper. Our options are very limited here w/CB. I don’t want Revis back, - Skrine probably has a year left & that currently leaves us only with Marcus Williams & Juston Burris. And w/Bouye’s age --- could lock down the secondary for a while longer.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Wewantsapp

Excellent and thorough job - I can see all the work you put into this. This is a mock offseason/draft that I really really like.....your version completely rebuilds the secondary , address OT, finds a potential replacement for David Harris, and dumps Richardson for decent value. You also didn't reach for another QB prospect. ......if the Jets did this I would be completely satisfied . Good job

9. wewantsapp

Thanks, brother.

You've posed the million dollar question. Rich Cimini (don't hit me) reported that we might look to trade Calvin Pryor this offseason. Being a John Idzik draft pick (taken before Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, mind you), ---- I wouldn't be surprised if the current CS/FO follows through on this ---- even if its for a late 3rd or early 4th rounder. Particularly if Jamal Adams is available when we are OTC in April. I should have noted that in my mock.

We really should be drafting with a 2 year projected plan in mind. I really don't think we are going anywhere in 2017. And Calvin Pryor is gone after 2017 if we cant trade him.

101GangGreen101 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

You're welcome. I enjoyed reading your post, and as I said, even with my quibbles, I'd sign up for it as is.

I'm less confident in Shell than you are, but hope that you are right. I didn't miss Giacomini either, but that's because he was pretty awful in 2015. Qvale, Ijalana and Shell would have had to have been truly awful to make you miss Giacomini.

If we miss out on signing a FA LT, then I think we're in trouble and it won't matter how much cap space we have. I think Ijalana is ok to good against some teams and some rushers, but that others will eat his lunch.

I could be wrong of course, but I think we'd be able to sign more FAs than you listed initially, even with signing Reiff. If we cut all the veterans you listed plus Harris, I think the max we'd have is around $56 million in cap space. Keeping Harris, we'd still have around $49-$50 million, perhaps a little more if we could get him to take a pay cut. Even if Glennon cost $15 million (and we may not be able to sign him), that would still leave us with $34-$35 million. How much do you see Cooper, McDougal, and Reiff costing? I think we ought to at least inquire about Bouye. He probably won't want to sign here, but you never know. Even if he did, he's likely to want way too much money. We also wouldn't have to spend all of our cap space in the upcoming season. We could roll some of it over to 2018.

Another thing I liked is that with the exception of Reiff, all the FAs you had us signing were younger than 28.

11. NCJetsfan

You could be right about Pryor. With the exception of the 2015 season, I've been very disappointed in him. I think what happens with him will depend upon which is the real Pryor, the one from 2015 or the one from 2016? I think he was asked to play out of position a lot this season and that could be the reason his play regressed. Playing out of position and Bowles' general cluelessness also could have affected his attitude.

It would be better for the Jets, if he could revert to 2015 form and the Jets get a pass rusher, QB, OL or a FS at #6, but if that won't happen, then I'd have no problems with trading Pryor and replacing him with Adams.

12. wewantsapp

Thank you, my green brother.

13. 101GangGreen101

The Jets should be able to allocate a pick and find a RB in the later rounds for depth purpose. None of those guys are AP, especially since Leonard has a chronic ankle issue. Trading up at the top is really good if you are 1 piece away, but we are like 7 or 8 pieces away. If Watson drops to 6, you have to entertain that thought.

Yeah, Ramczyk is getting hip surgery unfortunately. If he didn't get surgery, I would more than likely agree with you, he's a top 15 pick but his stock will fall and I think the Jets could look to trade BACK up into the first round and acquire either a OT / Edge Rusher.

Safety absolutely, if you can get a guy with unlimited range and play-making skills, it can completely change a defense on the back-end. The # of TDs given up by the Jets 20+ yards down the field is insane. Gotta fix that deep middle / outside. Jets passed on Ed Reed and well you see what the Ravens became.

NCJetsfan and wewantsapp like this.
  14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

woo hoo nice job......

woody will sign u to a 3 year contract on jan 3, 2018 complete with housing allowance and 5 million bux draft budget. LOL.

seriously - richardson can likely get a 3rd with an outside possibility of a conditional 2.

15. wewantsapp

Thank you brother.

I think we're really stuck on a Richardson trade. We've lost the leverage. Teams know 1) we already have Wilk & Williams 2) pay him $8 million 3) find a spot for him to play (not OLB again please!!)) 4) deal with his $hitty attitude & moments and 5) we'd end up doing no better than a 4th (possibly 3rd) round draft pick compensation after the 2017 season.

The only leverage we have is saying "we trade him to you instead of the other team". Not really leverage.

16. wewantsapp

I appreciate the feedback & perspective. I would have to agree with everything that 101GangGreen101 said in his responses.

17. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

18. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

I think you nailed it pretty much. If only the GM got this memo...

19. wewantsapp

Thanks, brother. Man, that Tonya Harding GIF cracked me up.

20. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Lol yeah. I almost don't want to cut Marshall just to have him and Decker scare defenses again but he probably is too much of a headache for the locker room. Decker/Enunwa/Anderson/Smith/Peake/Marshall might suffice. How do we improve TE though...