Week 9 Studs and Duds (vs Buf)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 3, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Josh McCown - against a defense ranked 6th in points allowed at less then 19, he led us to 34 points and could have been more if needed but we let up pretty early in the 4th for some reason. His numbers werne't impressive 14/20 140 yards 1 TD 0 INT but the no turnovers is huge. he also ran for a TD and had a TD called back on a BS penalty.

3 headed RB - all 3 deserve credit here. forte had his best game of the year 14 for 77 and 2 TDs. powell had 9 for 74 including a huge 51 yarder. he had a 30+ yarder called back on a penalty. Maguire got a chance to run out the clock ran 13 for 30 times including a big run on 3rd and long to seal the game. as a team we ran for 194 yards

Anderson - is a stud a 25 yard TD reception and led the jets with 48 yards receiving. I'd love to see us use him more to stretch the field but this game didn't really need it.

Morton - and his halftime adjustments. we came out swinging in the 2nd half. 24 points in the 2nd half and could have been more had we not went into safe play mode and ran down the clock.

The entire front 7 - IDK where this was all season but today they came to play. and at a time we needed it being really thin at CB with claiborne out. 7 sacks from the front 7 today. coming into the game we had 11 on the year total in 8 games. jenkins had 2, davis, lee ,ealy, and wilk with 1 each and williams and mclendon shared a sack. We also had pressure all game and shut down mccoy to 25 yards on 12 carries. Jenkins also forced a fumble as well

O-line - games are won in the trenches. and we won on both sides yesterday. only allowed 1 sack. gave mccown time to throw and allowed the team to run for 194 yards.

Bowles - originally listed as a dud because of some gripes i have with his game management and lack of aggression, upon further review with input form other posters i'm moving him to stud. To be fair he did have the team ready to play on a short week after a disappointing loss. He did make great half time adjustments and more importantly his defensive gameplan completely bottled up mccoy and taylor for 56 mins out of the 60 min game. He used Lbers to spy both mccoy and taylor and our Lbers responded. he rushed 5 often to contain him and force him to step up into pressure. IN short, he didn't let taylor or mccoy beat us with their legs which is the bills bread and butter. his gameplan was great and the players executed it well.

Duds

Refs - powell huge run called back on BS call, ASJ TD called back on BS call. Skrine hit with a holding when he didn't touch the WR who fell after his knee gave out without contact. I'm getting pretty sick of seeing big plays come back on BS calls all the time

ASJ - unluckiest person in the NFL? I feel bad making him a dud because of a TD called back on a penalty on forte that never happened, but he also muffed the onside kick, was the vitcim of a BS penalty on a big powell run, and finished with only 2 catches for 20 yards.

Edited:
    removed bowles from dud to stud upon further review

#1 GasedAndConfused, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A lot of those TOs are due to the offensive not getting the play-call in. Shouldn't that be on the OC? If the team is up, there is no point in getting risky. The reason why the Jets have blown leads is because of turnovers at the worst times especially in the 4th QTR. Gotta continue to put up points though in the 4th, getting outscored like crazy in that period.

Bowles is a stud, him and the DC put together a plan to shut-down the RBs and still get 7 sacks.

Walt White likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

I agree but most of those turnovers were on special teams. that 1 kid had 2 muffed punts then got cut. kerly muffed a punt as well. In the 4th we've been outscored by like 60 points on the season. that's because of "playing it safe" we lost games by playing it safe. not to mention this season is house money. nobody expects us to win. no reason to not take chances. a win is nice a loss is a better draft pick.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

ASJ grabbed and tackled that defensive player on Powell's long run. I would have been more shocked if they didn't call holding.

5. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Bowles a dud? Boy, imagine what the score will be when he's a stud. We might win 80-0

Jets69 likes this.
  6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Where's Roberts on duds?

7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I disagree on the BS calls. They are definitely tick tacky calls but ASJ did push off slightly to create separation when he didn’t need to and he did have his arms around the guy and held him as Powell squeaked by, and Skrine stuck his leg and impeded the WR progress. That may also go as incidental contact but the officials are going to flag Skrine more often then not because he constantly holds and interferes. He’s just a shitty DB. Roberts was also a dud last night too.

8. GasedAndConfused

I didn't see that on the replay but maybe i missed it

9. GasedAndConfused

too many wasted timeouts. ASJ on the hands team (it's pretty much always a WR), letting up on the gas allowing them to score 14 in the final few mins. doing nothing but running maguire for the last 10 mins of the game. Yeah he got the win, but i'd like too see him improve in a few areas. also poor clock management.

he played well all things considered.

10. GasedAndConfused

they didn't call ASJ for PI, they called forte for a pick play. Yeah ASJ did push off a little but that's a non call 99% of the time in the NFL for any WR or TE and they didn't actually call it on him. for the holding call, maybe i missed it but someone said he tackled the guy so that could be my bad. for skrine he was beat and reached back (and whiffed) but the WR just hyper extended his kneee on the plant. there was no leg whip or tripping. they called him for holding when he never laid a finger on the guy. they assume dhe did cause the WR dropped to the cround but it was really his knee giving out

Jets69 and 94Abraham like this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. Good call. But fans want to focus on O play calls and TO's. Bowles was all over that D game plan and was making the D calls. And the D executed.
    They were disciplined and confident. The key was keeping Taylor contained in the pocket, for the most part, and everybody remaining disciplined on the edge and in the gaps on McCoy. It had to have been one of the best jobs this year on the Bills O.

Looks like Jenkins is getting better still :)

Marcus Maye is the man. Love this guy

Darron Lee: The play where Jenkins forced the fumble when Taylor broke outside the pocket. Lee broke coverage and exploded up the field and closed on Taylor covering 5-7 yards like a fucking lightning bolt to make that happen.
    He's getting QB pressures, hits, and sacks now, while shooting gaps, running RB's down along the line of scrimmage to the sideline, and playing in the defensive backfield

#11 Walt White, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    blackssmagic and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Bilal Powell might be the most underrated player in the league. Never puts up flashy numbers, but just does everything well every week and has the potential to make a big play every time he touches the ball. He also has had more big runs called back in his career that any RB I can remember.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jenkins had his breakout game, better version of Calvin Pace I hope, if we pair him up with another pass rushing linebacker on the other side, 1 on 1 matchups on the inside will open up as well.

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, a good guy on the other side and it opens up more for everybody. Watch out!

And a CB, along with bringing back Claiborne.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

upon further review i moved bowles into a stud. I need to set aside my personal gripes and give credit where it's due

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Not tackled but he had him blocked but when the guy turned he kept his arm around him and held him back... It was holding..but we've seen worse...much worse.

The PI on the trip and the OPI on ASJ was atrocious! It's like we are the only team getting the OPI called on us when you see guys Stiff arming and pushing off scoring TD's.. It's embarrassing.

GasedAndConfused and Walt White like this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The problem with the hold was that it was right in front of the official and Powell wriggled through the small gap it left open. That's why it got called. I doubt it does in any other circumstance.

As we're on penalties, can someone enlighten me? The Buffalo TD where the ball was right at the end zone. The centre snapped the ball on the line. If that was where the ball had ended up it would have already been a TD. Is that not a penalty? Skrine was ironically flagged for being offside, but he was basically just on the line and the ball itself was too far forward.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 100 on Solid golds take on our players performances

With the CS Not sure if he's taking Ginko Bilbao and Energy drinks but Bowles just has to continue what he is doing for the rest of the season..Morton was always pretty good imo

Historically Bowles was F/D- grade for me over the last couple of years..now I think I see a learning curve. I hope he doesn't revert back to form. He needs to show consistency now

I don't know where this new found success takes us as far as drafting a young QB or improving the OL

#18 NYJetsO12, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017