We Should Be Worried

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 10, 2018.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not in on Cousins. Redskins have F'd up his "actual" value. Despite our strong cap room numbers, spending so much on him doesn't make sense to me. I don't think he's a franchise-changer. Not knocking his game, he's just over priced. I'd have been interested in him millions of dollars ago. I like Bridgewater because his injury lowers his price. I take the risk because I saw him at Louisville play hurt, and always seem to make the throw he had to make when it mattered. He wasn't a running QB, he was a thrower. The horrible knee injury shouldn't effect his game that much if he can still push off it. I mentioned Mayfield if he's there at six, but if not, then we grab a QB (Hack and Geno be damned) in the second round but we take Saquon or the ND Guard in the first round. Picking six has been a good spot for us since someone solid always falls. It's time we grab a stud for the O line, damn it.

Having said all that, I'd be very happy trading up for Darnold or Rosen, but I'm treating that as unlikely.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Your post reflects what most Jets fans feel: we just want them to add some difference-makers, especially on "O", and we're not really fixated on who those DMs should be, although most of us have our favorites. I'm not even dead set against Cousins, but he's about my last choice. I'm hoping that decision is taken away from Macc because he signs with another team. Macc probably feels obligated to go after him, but he'd "lose by winning" in the end - sort of like how the Yankees lost when Cashman felt he had to resign A-Rod.

I like your idea of signing a Bridgewater or Keenum and also drafting the best QB they can get at #6 (or even trading up) and letting the best one win, but I don't think Macc thinks that way. If he gets Teddy or Case, he won't think about a QB this year, which I think would be a mistake, but not the end of the world if instead he was able to grab Barkley or another stud RB/WR and a pass rusher and upgrade the OL. I could live with that knowing that if Teddy/Case succeed, great, and if not there will be other good QBs coming out in '19 (like Stidham).

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think Keenum makes a lot of sense, but that's why I think the Vikings will go all in on him (they have the cap room to do it). I see Bridgewater and Bradford both getting offered more money elsewhere than the Vikings would want to pay for an insurance policy, so they're the guys the Jets have a more realistic shot at getting. One of them plus a drafted QB who is not quite ready would seem to be a viable strategy.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Keenum will likely be the QB the Vikings go all in on. Bridgewater is intriguing. He looked like he was going to be a good QB prior to the injury. How healthy he is is a big question though.
    If Mac goes the FA route, (for one of the premium QBs) it would be incredibly stupid of him to trade up for a QB.
    The draft picks given up would mean no center, no major upgrade to the O Line or game changer at the skill positions. Setting up both QBs to fail.
    If Cousins, Bridgewater are signed, it will be with the expectation of them becoming the long term starter. Then taking Barkley if he falls or possibly trading back and drafting Price and having additional picks to add a playmaker and fill holes on the roster should be the plan. Take a shot on Lock later on if you want to add another QB this year. But trading up for a QB after signing one of the guys mentioned sets the rebuild back.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Don't care much for Connor Hugh's opinions or suggestions on what the Jets should do or not do. Glad he's not the GM, and that's one worry that I can leave in the closet.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner