Vince Young a 6??? SO WHAT?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by crazylion26, Feb 26, 2006.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

A few things...

A Wonderlic score is not as important for a fullback. Fullback is probably the position where a Wonderlic is least likely to matter. Quarterback is one of the few positions where a high Wonderlic score is NECESSARY.

A Wonderlic isn't a matter of basic geometry, it tests the ability to reason. You might not think it's important, but I'd like my quarterback to be able to multiply 21 X 4. I don't have supreme faith that a guy who can't do that can run my football team, and I'm not going to commit big money to a guy like that if I've got my head on straight.

Third, Young is a special case because he has to learn a pro-style offense, as opposed to the simple system run at Texas. He has taken most of his snaps from the shotgun, and judging by how often and quickly he runs, he doesn't have that many progressions.

This wouldn't be a big deal if we were talking about a fifth round athlete, but we're talking about a guy who will be a major investment for a franchise in desperate need of a quarterback, and more specifically, there is a probability that this team might invest in him. While Vince Young MAY INDEED succeed at the pro level, it is THE HEIGHT of stupidity to draft someone to play an intellectually demanding position when he shows himself to be a functional illiterate.

I understand the specifics of your point, but in all honesty, take a sample Wonderlic test and see, it is VERY difficult to get a 6, and fairly difficult to score just a 16. I consider myself highly intelligent, but I can't imagine someone of middle level intelligence misfiring on many of these questions.

-X-

2. crazylion26

crazylion26 New Member

if reggie bush scored a 16 on the wonderlic would everyone be saying... nah, he's dumb, we dont want him.... i doubt it.

As far as the 200 minimum, maybe he did get a 200 minimum, I'm just telling you what he told us. The kid was dumb as shit, I dont know what to say. It wasn't that long ago. 1999-2001

3. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Reggie Bush is a running back. Running backs run and react. They take what's there, and they rely primarily on athletic ability.

If quarterbacks could succeed by relying primarily on athletic ability, Michael Bishop would be a 3 time Super Bowl winner, and Brady would be riding the bench. The quarterback position is one of the few(safety, middle linebacker) where intelligence, reason, and the ability to diagnose a situation is important. A running back is strictly reacting.

-X-

4. Keeprunning28

Keeprunning28 New Member

no way thats a run on

5. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Why would Brady be riding the bench? Your statement does not logically follow. If a QB could succeed primarily on athletic ability, then a QB with high athletic ability and low, I suppose mental abilities is what you're shooting for, would be able to succeed. However, in order for your statement on Brady to be true, you must also assert that a QB with athletic ability overrides a QB with mental abilities, no matter how developed those mental abilities may be. You'd also then have to claim Brady has no athletic ability. In other words, you'd have to argue that "if an athletic QB could succeed, an intelligent QB can not." I think you need to amend your argument a bit. Right now it is fairly preposterous. Why can't you have both?

6. parafly

parafly New Member

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I don't think you reason very well...no offense.

Dan Marino got a 12 I believe. Obviously he could run a "pro-style" offense.

It's easier to take a snap from center than to take shotgun snaps. I absolutely hated the shotgun in HS.

I'm not trying to knock you, the last post was to sort of prove a point.