Vince Young - 6 on Wonderlic? per PFT - MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsIn2004, Feb 25, 2006.

1. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.

2. kelly

kelly Banned

VINCE YOUNG : 2nd round pick ? ? ~ ~ ~

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.

> http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

3. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Personally, I don't think it should matter. I don't think that test means anything.

But yes, that score is pathetic.

4. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

this will not happen.

5. Buttle

Buttle New Member

The name escapes me but there used be a DT that was drafted by I believe the Chifs about 15 years ago that got a 2 on the wonderlink. While it might not matter much for a DT a QB has to be able to process information and make decisons very fast. I would not want someone who got a 6 on the wonderlink leading my team.

6. 1028

1028 Active Member

Yea I read that. Pretty funny, but if its true, then IMO theres a good chance Young would drop below Cutler in the rankings

7. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

If this is true, we just lost Jay Cutler ... he's heading to Tennessee

No way any team would invest a TOP 5 Pick on a functional illiterate, and that's what you would have to be to score a 6 or 7 on the wonderlic

Unless the Titans opt for Brick Ferguson or Mario Williams, or some other NON QB, we can scratch Jay Cutler ... if they want a QB and Leinart goes #2, they will only select Cutler if this is true

Vince Young will not even be an option .. no way you take an NFL Playbook {which is the size of some phone books} and hand it to a functional illiterate, and no way do you invest a TOP 5 Pick {and a kings ransom} on that player

JMO

8. 1028

1028 Active Member

Thats sounds about right

If he drops out of the top 3 I think Oakland might seriously consider him at # 7

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

what frightens me now is that Vince Young may be there for our pick and we will choose him!

hopefully Mangini knows better and is set on taking "heady" players... or players that can simply read and write.

cheers

10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Yeah, Jabba, I view this as very bad news. here is the sample test, 15 questions, 5 minute limit.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

With apologies, if you can't get 10 out of 15 on that sample test..... I'm not sure you could balance a checkbook, never mind understanding an NFL playbook. I seriously doubt Young can even stay in the first round now.

11. genom

genom Active Member

Isn't below 10 considered mentally retarded or something?? Also, Frank Gore got around 6 or so i think.

12. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I think Oakland sees itself as all set at quarterback. Hard as that is to believe, I really do think they're sticking to that notion.

13. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

If you like Jay Cutler, this is the worst possible news you can get ... it completely eliminates the possibility of Young to the Titans at #3 Overall, and word has it they really want a QB ... and word has it they really like Cutler as well

As for Vince Young, he better hope this isn't true ... if it is, I don't see how any team with a high pick would trust him to run their offense ... I don't know how far he would drop, but I would think at least out of the TOP 10 ... maybe Miami would take a shot at 16

We're basically talking about an illiterate

14. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

If that is true, I want nothing to do with him. A weird throwing motion I can stand. But you cannot have an idiot for a QB in the NFL.

15. kelly

kelly Banned

Mangini said he wants Smart football players . . . hmmm :beer:

16. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

If this is true, Young getting a 6 was even better news than I thought it was!

17. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

He is the second coming of aaron brooks. He has a rocket just no brain.

18. The Uniform Bomber

just curious -- i know you don't want us to "reach" for Cutler, but let's say we fix the OL this offseason; what do you think is our starting QB solution, both short and long term?

cheers

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Gore had a known learning disabilty. He talked about how proud he was to be able (with some specisalised help) get through college and get his degree. What's up with Young.... I have no clue.

20. The Uniform Bomber

we're the JETS. wasn't something like this inevitable?

Now, Vince Young is right up there atop my sh*t list.

cheers