Very Happy w/ Geno's Performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's not deadly accurate. He missed several throws today with high throws. That said he definitely got the job done when he was throwing the ball. There were times, like the shovel pass to CJ, when he looked just like the Geno from WVU two years ago.

NYJetsO12 and hornblower like this.
  2. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

My only concern is the redzone and whether or not he finds it. He looks good throwing in this offense, but i feel like he starts to stall when the field is shortened and has to get the ball back there. In any case it's early and I'm sure he'll improve with this, but I want to see some of these drives end in 7.

Br4d likes this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Agreed. He really just needs to not force any plays and he'll be great. Otherwise, he looks much better than last year. With time, he'll mature and reduce those mistakes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Actually Geno does a really good job on third and long.

Br4d likes this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Just got back and I gotta say, Geno looked pretty damn good today. He looked composed, accurate, scanned the field and--this may sound silly--he made the easy throws look easy. When a guy was standing 15 yards down the field and wide open he put the ball exactly where it needed to be to make the catch and get some YAC. Be interested in what his YAC was today.

The INT was simply a GREAT play by Woodson and on the fumble he got nailed, he wasn't being careless with the ball.

Great game first time out this year. No complaints, even on the deep sack, if that's his biggest issue, I'll take it. He didn't try to do too much or throw the ball up for an INT and that makes me happy.

_

6. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Geno looked on point. He was still a little high, but less so than he's been. And I think he's getting in sync with Amaro, which should be a great connection going forward.

It's kinda crazy to not to be all that worried about the offense for a change!

7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly pleased with his play

The stupid mistakes (40 yard sack) will be fixed with better play calling

Freak fumble because he was trying so damn hard will be fixed with better play calling

Dropped TD not on him

Decker bullish-- PI call could have made for a great drive

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

After the fumble I realized I wasn't worried at all. That's partly because it was the Raiders with a rookie QB but it was also because I didn't think Geno was going to turn the ball over again. Both of the TO's were small mistakes on his part that turned into a big deal because somebody else made a big play. I just didn't think he had many small mistakes left in him for the day at that point and I knew the Raiders didn't have many more big plays.

LAJet and legler82 like this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Right read; late throw. Pretty much a carbon copy of most of his INTs last year. If that ball is on time, it's a completion.

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

or marty needs to just hand the ball of to chris ivory and let him bully his way in! or sheldon! ^_^

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I think I was more pissed at Geno for taking a 20 yd sack and taking us out of FG range than I was over the INT/fumble.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I'm very happy, but I am liking what we saw. He just looked more composed and better at QB, so the eye test and number test match up. The running backwards when getting pressured is the most frustrating to me right now.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I taped the game and have to watch it but it appeared to me that he was looking to fit in into a tight window, he threw a Nolan Ryan fastball, that was just a great play IMHO.

_

FJF likes this.
  14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

How was the environment at the stadium?

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Yes but its not something you want to consistently put your QB under.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Geno's supreme almost over-confidence in his arm is partly responsible for why his anticipation is so poor. It was a simple button hook route. If he's on time, he doesn't have to fast ball it. When Peyton throws that same pass, Decker turns and the ball is there; he's not waiting.

BTW, it is possible for Geno to have been late and it be a great play by Woodson; the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

#96 legler82, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    CaneGreen and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree, and he also has to deal with his teammates drawing dumb penalties, holds and drops that kill the momentum and negate touch downs.

Can people please get a grip on the fact that he is on the first game of his second year, after being pushed into a role he was not remotely ready for, and showing remarkable improvement

Anyone who things he had a poor game is either blind or clueless.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Spot on.
    \
    I think the next 4 games will tell us a lot about our qb.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He's still going to make mistakes. He's not going to go from where he was last year to Peyton Manning in year 2. Just as long as he continues to show progress and play well consistently that's all that matters.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Geno hushed up a lot of people today.

Watching it live, he showed a level of skilled athleticism that we've been sorely missing at qb.

The one play ....the way he shed a would-be sacker was a thing of beauty.

He looked sharp & focused...if a bit late on a few throws. He threw high a few times...he got a canon... Sanchez usta throw in the dirt....drove me nuts. Geno is better at hitting guys in stride.

We produced some good yardage today. I know....it's the Raidaaas. Still...we had the ball 5 more minutes than they did. 3 and outs killed us plenty last year.

Cut down on the cute red zone plays and penalties....and we'll be fine.
    We have three strong RB's...we'll have fresh legs during the second half of each game...and the season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.