Ukraine Situation

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I love it Cman. I love it. There is a reason I like you. Just saying. :)

2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Not really.... the Baltic states (Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia) joined the EU and are no longer tied to Russia. Ukraine can follow their example.

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

There is one big US Military base in Turkey. Name is "Incirlik". Not sure why it isn't listed here. http://www.incirlik.af.mil/

In the first gulf war, lots of fighter jets were used from that base.

5. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

If noone has taken notice over the years of history we( the western world) have been slowly surrounding the remaining communist powers in the eastern world ( Russia & China ). We have placed "Military Missile Defense bases" all around the Asia contenient and i would not be surprised if this is putins way of pushing back and making sure the impeding of the Western World stops before they get even closer to their door steps

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm pretty sure the graphic is very imprecise due to the scale involved.

There have to be Russian military bases north of the Black Sea.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Perhaps the non ethnic russian part but from what I've read, we're talking partition.

8. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I think it only shows military bases abroad.

9. Br4d

Where's the Russian base in Syria then? I assume the icon by the Black Sea south of Sevastopol is something they have in the Caucasus, like Armenia?

10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Leave it alone. The U.S. needs to worry about.........the U.S. Rebuilding our infrastructure and getting AMERICANS to back to work should be our only concern. Fuck the rest of the world, only the 1% has any real interests there.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I generally agree but having an unwavering ideological plan in that regard is probably very dangerous. If you wait for your enemy to knock at your door it's probably too late.

12. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

It's technically not a military base.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_naval_facility_in_Tartus

Yes, #18 is most likely their base in Armenia
    #19 is Tajikistan

13. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

It's very very simple. The Ukrainian Parliament ousted a pro-Russian President. Without Yanukovich Russia could cost it's favorable Black Sea Port leasing agreement, alter Russia's ability to have it's Black Sea Fleet in Crimea, and in general Russia's ability to assert itself over former Eastern European Soviet States (which is most concerning but hints more towards a future empiric Russia than it does the revival of the old USSR) under the guise of human rights concerns.

Latest update: Russia claims Kiev snipers were hired by local leaders of Maidan, and that they shot at both police and protesters.

14. VanderbiltJets

The Ukrainian Government's decision to put off signing the EU association agreement in nov 13 sparked this latest round of mass protests. But even so they don't yet fulfill EU requirements for ascension.

15. VanderbiltJets

As of 8 hours ago China had only called for peace and stability and supports reducing tensions, like every other country, but has yet to criticize Russia. http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com...-china-sets-a-cautious-tone-on-ukraine-crisis

16. Br4d

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304815004579416771704060190.html

17. VanderbiltJets

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/03/06/ukraine-crisis-obama-china-idINDEEA2503Y20140306

18. Br4d

Yep. They're staying true to their core principles. with non-interference and support of their allies carefully intermixed. That they took the step of asking Russia to respect Ukraine's sovereignty is a red flag for the Kremlin and Putin. That tells the Russians that their actions will be seen as outside the boundaries of international law by most of the world, including their allies. Kazakhstan and Belarus have also issued statements in support of Ukrainian sovereignty and also without hammering Russia in the process.

Putin knows he is going it alone at this point if he goes and he may well decide he can't manage that feat. That's one of the things keeping the Russians out of eastern Ukraine except for Crimea.

I still think it will be partition in the end. I don't think the Russians have the heart for a major war over anything outside the Crimea. They'll settle. Hopefully the West will find ways to support Ukraine after that and the inevitable Russian meddling and provocations don't re-ignite the situation.

19. VanderbiltJets

China's response has been neutral, and if anything pro-Russia They reacted the same way to Georgia in 08 http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iIIubcNJWN9e0ZjOLWxvOe_cH66w?hl=en. You're confusing strategic diplomacy with condonation.
    I would even argue that China has expressed greater pro-Russian sentiment today than it did in 08:

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.