Trout vs Cabrera for AL MVP

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Oct 2, 2012.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Trout. What gets overlooked is how much Angels Stadium suppresses hitting stats.

Other major awards: Price, Dickey, Posey

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Cabrera.............hands down.

4. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

Cabrera, we're talking a feat here not accomplished since '67 by Yaz, as well as
    his team in position to win their division, and even with the extra wild card team, in the
    Tigers case, no division win, no playoffs, they don't have enough wins for the last spot.
    I'd love to know his numbers on how many of his hits or homeruns put his team ahead or tied the game with. His 3 hits last night got him his 200th of the season for the first time in his career. the guy can hit it anywhere in the field he wants to, and with power, it's really sick.
    Trout was nothing short of eye poppingly magnificent this year, holy smokes.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If Cabrera wins the triple crown he absolutely deserves MVP for that alone but also because the Angels didn't even make the playoffs and Detroit did.

6. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Cabrera's barely got the edge IMO.

Trout's BABIP is 50 points higher though and he's hit HR's at a higher rate at home than away

7. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

barely because of the playoff situation or the triple crown? or both?
    oddly , the angels have more wins than the Tigers but are out of the picture.
    cruel when you have a better record than another club that will make it to the post season.

8. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

btw, Trout has a shot at Joe D's rookie record for runs scored, despite having played in 137 games.

The playoffs argument is nonsensical, because the Angels have a better record than the Tigers.

As for the Triple Crown, this article sums it up:

9. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

i understand, but when you're up against the Trouts, Mauers,Hamilton and cano /Jeter/ Suzuki automatic 200 hit kind of guys, it's pretty damn impressive to me if you can lead all 3 of those categories, batting average being the hardest to maintain i would think.

10. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Trout over Cabrera is soo dumb. He has more home runs, hits, rbi's, higher avg and ops.

11. Don

Great, that article says we should have a triple crown winner every year..it's only luck, right? Then why don't we? Utter nonsense and probably written by a LA hack.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I'm not sure if you read the article, because that's not what it said.

Trout plays much better defense and is a much better baserunner.

His WAR is 10.3 compared to Cabrera's 7.1. Your first sentence is backwards.

13. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

I guess Cano should be #2 in the MVP voting since WAR is the end all be all.

Yes, a guy with less hits, home runs, and rbis and has a lower batting average and ops should get the MVP. Dumbest thing I've heard all day.

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

A)It's be-all and end-all.
    B)I didn't say it was. It's a good indication of value, though. This is a classic overreaction. I mention WAR and you turn it into "oh everybody should be ranked strictly by WAR." Just like Don turned the article I posted into "someone should win the Triple Crown every year" and "it's all luck".

If that's the dumbest thing you've heard all day, you don't listen to much.

Trout bats leadoff. Obviously he gets less opportunities to drive in runs.

Additionally, you act like all that matters is offensive stats. How many RBI or hits a guy has is definitely not the be-all and end-all.

Trout has a higher OBP, has a significantly higher WAR, is a superior defensive player and baserunner, and has even helped his team win more games. Consider how much better Hunter and Pujols got after Trout was promoted.

The Angels were 6-14 before Trout was brought up and are 83-61 since.

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

While I would give it to Cabrera because the Triple Crown's still a big deal to me considering it hasn't been done in 45 years, Trout's numbers would be much closer if he was in Anaheim for the whole season. Remember he wasn't there in all of April.

If Cabrera does 'not' win the Triple Crown though then I could see giving it to Trout.

16. Don

I am sure we both read it but maybe I interpreted what the writer was trying to say.

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Cabrera will likely win the triple crown, and that's because of the time Hamilton has missed.

Hamilton has one fewer home runs in 64 fewer ABs.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

That was not even close to what he was saying.

The writer was saying you need to not only have a great season but also be lucky. You turned that into "the triple crown should happen every year."

The two positions are not even remotely comparable.

19. Don

How the hell else can this be interpreted than pure luck that you did what you did in a year that somebody didn't? It is Exactly what he is saying.

"Boston's Carl Yastrzemski, the last winner (in 1967), hit .326 with 44 homers and 121 RBIs. OK, nice year. In 2003, Pujols hit .359 with 43 home runs and 124 RBIs and only led the league in batting.

Did Yaz have a better year than Albert? Um, no.

Some years just break statistically in your favor relative to the league. Seattle's Felix Hernandez won the Cy Young a few years ago with a 13-12 record. Nolan Ryan didn't win it for the Angels in 1974 with 21 wins, two no-hitters, 332 innings pitched, 26 complete games and 383 strikeouts ... for a last-place team.
    "

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

He was pointing out that guys who have had even better years than Cabrera is having now did not win the Triple Crown, because there is an element of luck added to the equation.

So would you say Cabrera's 2012 season is superior to Ruth's 1921 season?

The fact is, Cabrera's BA, as it stands, would be the lowest for an AL batting champ in 40 years.