Trial by Fire

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

My first thought after we drafted Sam Darnold was "I hope we don't ruin him".

I know the party line this season is that it's all about Sam's development.

Now I'm no quarterback expert...but what exactly goes into developing a quarterback?

I realize we have no receivers...and the scrubs we have can't get seperation. Our run game is mediocre at this point, but our O line is better than we feared.

If one looks at Sam's game stats they ain't so good. Are the Jets even capable of developing a franchise QB under the current regime?

So what's the consensus...is Sam Darnold getting better?

twown likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If you trust the word of a former nfl qb he is

TonyFtLaud, Noam, dawinner127 and 5 others like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Maybe..Ive posted time and again he has do it on his own because the CS here Bates Toilet everyone is inept

He has former NFL QB Jordan Palmer as personal coach..

Kid is not stupid ..pays lip service to the Jet CS and press but has to know he also needs to train on his own

I was thinking of sending him a Post on his Website if he has one to stay the course and know the winds of change will blow the horsesh^t TB and staff out very soon

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Romo raves about Darnold any chance he gets.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

TonyFtLaud and NYJFOREVER like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You know what, this might just be the little nudge and encouragement that he needs. You should look into it.

Either way, back here in the real world, I think I'm pretty confident in saying Sam is getting better. But then again it's hard to tell because from day 1 he's been flashing signs of a legit pro QB followed by the same rookie mistakes. His accuracy is off but I'm not worried about that. His reads are usually good, he has great pocket presence and it never looks like his confidence is shaken. He has close to nothing to work with right now. He doesn't have guys that can get open and some of those guys that do are dropping passes. The fact that he hasn't completely shit his pants given the circumstances speaks volumes to me.

I know the OP isn't making it a numbers game so this isn't really directed at anyone in particular but a certain "greatest QB I've seen play in my lifetime" started his career 3-13 while throwing 28 INTs on 57% completion his rookie year...

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

drew brees wasn't very good his first couple of years either and now he is a HOF QB

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Did Darnold Regress? Progress? Digress? I still say Progress.

And he will continue to..................for another 15-20 years. :)

dmarz45 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Darnold IS progressing, even if the raw numbers don't support that. I'm not a QB guru, but I've seen a LOT of QBs over the decades, and I trust my own experience in that regard when I say that Sam is the real deal. And that really doesn't have much to do with his stats. He shows an innate ability to elude the pass rush, to find targets and throw them open, to throw almost more accurately on the run than he does in the pocket (which is why it's driving me crazy to see Bates play calling not taking advantage of this). When he makes a mistake he doesn't allow it to throw him, he just goes back to the bench and sits with McCown, and dissects what went wrong and what to do differently - he shows an unquenchable thirst to be better. Contrast that with Geno who couldn't be bothered to show up on time, and who always thought his raw physical ability was enough. He is NOT Joe Namath physically (not the arm, and thankfully the knees) or personality-wise, but he IS the best QB on the Jets I've seen since Joe Willie. The only way he doesn't become great is if the Jets don''t do their part and don't surround him with good talent and coaches. Hear that Macc?

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

There is zero that I have seen from Darnold that I don't like. Not since Pennington have I felt more comfortable with a Jets QB - and he's a rook. I am so used to wincing every time a Jet QB dropped back, expecting calamity, that with Sam I am calm. That doesn't mean he's been flawless and there have been times where he had protection, a receiver was open and he missed him. It happens. He's a 21 year old rookie with more upside than any Jet QB in a long, long time. I truly believe within 4-5 years that he will be a top 10 QB and regularly winning games for this team. This team will no longer be at a huge disadvantage when playing against other teams with top QB's. Having said all of that, no way do I believe that will happen with this coaching staff. They have to remove Bowles for Sam to have any chance of reaching his full potential...

LAJet, westiedog1, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Sky's the limit with SD. Huge talent, strong will, potentially elite poise.

He doesn't need any noise from random fans about his sucky coaches. There's nothing he personally can do about it for at least three more years.

12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

A lot of vets and retired players like this kid alot.

Means more than anything any of us will say... gotta ride with him and see the development continue.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Dan Orlovsky?

I probably could have worded the post better.

I have no doubt that Sam has what it takes to be a good quarterback.

My question really is do the Jets have what it takes to develop him into a top flight super duper franchise quarterback.

What is the "book" on these things?

Coaching?
    Run support?
    Play calling?
    Talented receivers?
    Top rated O line?
    Offensive mindset?

Am I missing something?

I really hope I am....'cause I don't see any of those six things happening soon for Sam.

I dread that he may become the next Matt Stafford.

Kris 15 and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Wow, good idea dude. Get 'er done. It's paramount. Ass Wipe and McCock are gonna be here another couple of years so do it before it's too late!

FJF likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post. Yeah, the current staff will ruin him. This offseason is vital. Can Bowles and get some offensive linemen in here.

I would honestly be surprised if he makes it 16 games this year. In college ball they only play 12 with the long break before the bowl game. A 16 game season is a grind for any rookie, but especially one that is getting knocked around weekly like Darnold.

Also, Jeremy Bates' designed running plays are trash. Even if the offensive line was good this team would struggle to run the ball consistently. That's bad for Darnold, obviously, a good running game would help him tremendously

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sam is toast.

Fuhgeddaboutit

17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The one good thing is that if it takes 3 years to get a good system & or CS, Sam will only be 23-24 years old. What we need is some offensive guru that wants to coach Sam to come in here with a new system & turn this teams offense around. Hopefully by then we will attract some offensive weapons & we will have a quick turn a round. I think Sam has shown he has what it takes to be very good. That's not the question, when the team plays well, running game especially Sam has shown he plays well. Example: Lions, Broncos, Colts games. All three games the team played well on all three levels. Sam can't carry the team on his back, & I wouldn't expect him to as a rookie. Give him some weapons, beef up the OL, & Sam will be fine.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with Stafford. If the Lions ever put a good staff and team around him, he'll break out and turn them into SB contenders. Unfortunately for him these are the Lions so that will never happen.

TonyFtLaud, FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair to stafford as well. he's never had a run game or a defense. if had had those he would have taken that team to the playoffs every year. it's hard to QB when you have no run game to help and no defense so your always chucking the ball. the fact he isn't throwing 20+ picks a year is in itself amazing. too bad the lions chose him over sanchez cause if they took sanchez we could have had stafford and probably won a SB

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This is pretty much my point.

What makes the Jets any different than the Lions?