Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

geez way to be a sour-puss :(

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Hahaha you're probably looking at what...

Hack's arm
    McCown's head
    Petty's athleticism

So, Paxton Lynch?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

Well there goes my lunch ...

Big Cat likes this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

McCown is going to start.

They are sorting out the backup to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Red Menace likes this.
  5. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Why, Joe Willie could sure run like the wind before he hurt his knee at Tuscaloosa back in '64.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

Well I guess if they are going to sabotage McCown, that's how you do it. Barely no reps with the team in live game action. Won't make it a quarter of the season should he start.

FJF likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

More like Josh Allen..

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is not a good sign for Beachum and the OL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/24/will-beatty-working-out-for-jets/

Will Beatty working out for Jets
    Posted by Josh Alper on August 24, 2017, 12:29 PM EDT

NASHVILLE, TN – DECEMBER 07: Will Beatty #65 of the New York Giants plays against the Tennessee Titans at LP Field on December 7, 2014 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images)

After last Saturday’s preseason game against the Lions, Jets coach Todd Bowles said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg didn’t have a chance playing behind an offensive line that offered little resistance to Detroit pass rushers.

That would seem to explain why the team is reaching into the discard pile to see if they can find some help for the unit. Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that the Jets are working out former Giants tackle Will Beatty on Thursday.

Beatty, a 2009 second-round pick, started at left tackle for the Giants for several years before he missed the entire 2015 season due to a torn pectoral and a torn rotator cuff. He was released early in 2016, but returned to the team just before the start of the season and saw action in six games as a reserve.

That means it has been a while since Beatty has been asked to fill a prominent role on the offensive line, but the Jets aren’t in much position to be picky if he shows he could provide an upgrade over what’s already on hand.

9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If that's an admission, they have even less of a chance if they keep juggling these guys. Just put the best five guys out there in your estimation and give them a damn chance to play together. I didn't like that he changed up on the road like that. That was asking for trouble. You have to have continuity and stability on the road with young inexperienced players. They've had all these guys now for a couple of years, it's a little late to be still juggling them. But WTF do I know. Hopefully he actually has a plan and isn't missing things like that.

10. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/jets_todd_bowles_says_he_might_delay_starting_qb_d.html

Jets' Todd Bowles says he might delay starting QB decision

By Darryl Slater
    dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- Jets coach Todd Bowles had said he planned to name a starting quarterback Monday, coming out of Saturday's third preseason game, against the Giants.

But on Thursday, following the Jets' final practice before that game, Bowles said he might not reveal a decision Monday. He said he might do it Tuesday or Wednesday. It'll definitely be next week, according to Bowles.

"As soon as we come to a decision," he said.

Bowles said little else Thursday about his three-man quarterback race, between Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown, and Bryce Petty, though Petty looks like the third-stringer.

McCown barely practiced -- especially with the starters -- this week. On Thursday, he got one practice rep, and it was with the scout team offense.

But Bowles said this week's practice reps have zero bearing on which quarterbacks play -- or who starts -- against the Giants. Which is an unusual approach. He said McCown "gets a lot of work" at pre-practice walk-throughs that reporters are not permitted to watch.

Bowles also shed some light on why he scaled back McCown's practice reps so drastically this week. McCown played one drive in the preseason opener, and not at all in the second game. Entering this week, McCown was considered the favorite to start in Week 1.

"He's gotten a lot of work in practice [previously]," Bowles said. "He had a good drive the first game. I wanted to see the other two guys play."

Bowles declined to reveal anything about which quarterbacks would play against the Giants, or if McCown would play at all. He planned to discuss that later Thursday with his staff. Bowles deflected a question about whether McCown could not play Saturday and still start in Week 1.

It would be a stunner if Hackenberg didn't play extensively against the Giants. The Jets are giving him every opportunity to show progress this offseason, which makes sense, because his success or failure will determine their quarterback plans for next year's draft.

Hackenberg wants to do a better job Saturday of getting into a rhythm than he did last week in Detroit, where he started and played five lackluster drives that all ended in punts.

"Just kind of get in the flow of the game, and then carry that through," he said. "I thought that was the biggest difference from the first week [against the Titans] to last week. I was able to get in a flow [against the Titans], and things kind of rolled. That's something I've worked on throughout practice this week. And I feel pretty good about it moving forward."

But at this point, what more does Bowles need to see to pick a starter?

"I'll see how they play Saturday night, and I'll make [a decision] after that," he said.

Bowles said the third preseason game "weighs some" into the decision about the Week 1 starter, but the coaches also consider the broader scope of action this month. Hackenberg has gotten plenty of work, so the coaches should have a pretty good read on his development.

This week, Bowles has been especially evasive about the quarterback situation, to the point that, on Thursday, he wouldn't even rule out his Week 1 starter playing in the fourth preseason game -- something that almost never happens.

"We'll see who the starter is, and we'll go from there," he said.

Here we go again. Bowles will start McCown in the 4th preseason game, McCown will get injured and be done for the year.

11. All very strange.

Is Blake Bortles suddenly entering their line of thought?Osweiller?

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Every day I have less and less confidence in this leadership team. Its almost as if some puppeteer is pulling the strings regarding the Qb position and the only thing they agree on is they don't want Petty in the conversation. This decision doesn't have to be THIS hard even for a HC that is clueless regarding the offense. I have a feeling Macc has more juice than we thought regarding who works for whom. There is an agenda to make Hack the starter this year no matter what and that has Macc's fingerprints all over it. Bowles's hesitancy to either choose or name a starter describes a man in fear of losing his job.

My God this entire organization just reeks of ineptitude and opposing agendas/intrigue. They don't speak with one voice nor do they appear to be on the same page.. Thanks Woody, now keep your ass in the UK. Maybe go visit the Ukraine or NoKor..

KWJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

If the Jets bring in either of those bums, I'm done with this team now. I won't even wait until next year.

Cman68 and CBG like this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I want to like this not twice but 3 times!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

See, that's the thing...it would be bad enough if we had a new GM/HC regime, starting a rebuild Year 1. We would all expect them to suck, but we'd have hope for the future because we wouldn't have been disillusioned. But we're now in the THIRD year of these guys, and they've given us little or nothing upon which to have faith in their judgment. As this TC unfolds in fact, we're being reminded of how clueless and disjointed they are. The most optimistic of us urge everyone to wait and see, believing - without any evidence - that they'll pull a rabbit out of their hat, and the little kid in me wants to believe that, but the adult who has waited for that rabbit for over 50 years knows that hat is empty.

Frankly, it's probably too late in my life to even try to root for a new team, but if they don't show me that they finally "get it" and start doing the things that the successful teams do, I'm done after this season - if I can last that long.

KurtTheJetsFan and Cman68 like this.
  16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

To be sure about his decision he is going to put McCown in the 4th quarter against the Giants tomorrow.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Does it really matter who starts? This FO has neglected the offensive side of the ball for the past two regimes.

Just look at the games last night:

Dolphins: Landry, Parker, Stills, Ajay, Thomas
    Eagles: Jeffrey, Smith, Agholor, Ertz, Celek
    Panthers: Stewart, McCaffery, Benjamin, Olsen, Funchess, Samuel
    Jags: Fournette, Robinson, Hurns , Lee, Westbrook

It's depressing. I will watch this season and hope for development of the young defensive players but in all honesty, no QB in the league could succeed with this offensive roster.

NYJFOREVER and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

That would actually be a good move, if history is any indicator.
    McCown gets killed, PeHack get to start.

Martin&theJETS and FJF like this.
  20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Yup, this team is fucking cognitively challenged.

Defense, defense, defense is dumb as shit if you don't have a capable offense.

Would you rather have our first three picks or would you rather have one of the scenarios below?

1. OJ Howard
    2. Dalvin Cook
    3 Dede Westbrook

1. Christian McCaffrey
    2. Forest Lamp
    3. Dede Westbrook

That's how you make a statement in a big time way about improving the offense and helping a young QB succeed. Too bad this front office has NO FUCKING CLUE.

Wow, imagine all three players above having a year under the belt (I know Lamp is injured) when it comes time to select a QB at the top of round one 2018. It'll probably make that guys transition a hell of a lot easier.

Nah, fuck that. Let's do it all at once. But, not this year. Never the present year. Always the next year.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.