Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Has there been any news about that arrest a while back? He's had a horrible off-season. I haven't seen any news since.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He had a court date the other day. Procedural, nothing of note came from it.
    Missing 2 preseason games now, a lot of practice and other olbs flashing spells a soon to be end for Lorenzo.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I believe Mauldin will be cut as well like you guys. I also believe Jalin Marshall will get the axe. Maybe not right away since he won't take up a roster spot now that he's suspended the 1st four games but I think he will be cut either now or then. Marcus Williams could be cut too

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

From an article at nyjets.com regarding preseason game #2.

Hopefully, Petty will get to play more tonight, and with the 1st or 2nd string and not just the 3rd stringers. With more practice reps this week, he produced big time.

Nice to finally read something good about Derrick Jones play. He is also mentioned as a star of TC this week in a Connor Hughes article I'll be posting next.

5. FJF

Marshall could be right, especially if all the WRs kept during his 4 game suspension produce.
    I feel like Williams has been having a decent camp. But so have a few other cbs, mcdougal in particular.

6. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/7_jets_who_impressed_in_third_week_of_training_cam.html

7 Jets who impressed in third week of training camp, including Jamal Adams, Darron Lee
    Posted August 18, 2017 at 07:30 AM | Updated August 18, 2017 at 07:42 AM

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Which Jets players stood out in the third week of training camp? Here are seven, including rookie safety Jamal Adams.

Making their presence felt
    As crazy as it sounds, training camp for the Jets is almost over.

Following Saturday's second preseason game against the Lions, the Jets will have just four more practices before breaking into their regular season preparation schedule. It's certainly been a unique summer, with the storylines turning from punch-gate and superstar fights, to the development of young players in a build-for-the-future approach.

So, with another week of camp in the books, which players stood out? Here's who caught our eye in Week 3.

DARRON LEE, linebacker
    It was a good week of practice for Darron Lee. He made several plays in coverage, and got awfully physical at the line of scrimmage.

The Jets need the first-round pick from a year ago to progress this season. With David Harris long gone, they're looking for a leader in the center of the defense. This week was a positive sign Lee is ready.

"I’m really pleased with the way he came back from OTA’s to here," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said. "I think he was like 236 (pounds when he came back). I think he left us like 221, so he worked his butt off over the summer. Then you see him right now in practice taking the step forward from his rookie year. It seems like the game is slowing down for him a little bit and we’re expecting a lot of D Lee this year."

ROBBY ANDERSON, recevier
    Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media
    The last 12 months of Robby Anderson's life — from a football perceptive — have been something. He joined the Jets as a long-shot undrafted free agent out of Temple in 2016. Made the team. Shot up the depth chart when Eric Decker suffered a season-ending injury. And now, with Decker and Brandon Marshall gone, and Quincy Enunwa out the year with a neck injury, is suddenly the No. 1 wideout.

It's too early to tell if Anderson is ready, but he had an awfully good week of camp. He wasn't any better than on Wednesday. He had three touchdowns, including a gorgeous one-handed grab up the right sideline.

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, quarterback
    Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media
    Hackenberg is still a work in progress. He's still not ready to start, or supplant Josh McCown as the Jets' unofficial No. 1 quarterback.
    But he had a pretty good week of practice.

Hackenberg was decisive with the ball, took less sacks, and had a couple really impressive throws. On one, he connected with rookie wideout Dan Williams up the left sideline for a 50-yard gain. On another, he hit wideout Jalin Marshall right in the hands deep (45-50 yards) for a would-be touchdown ... but Marshall dropped it. Jets' wideouts do that often.

Against the Lions, Hackenberg rarely attempted a pass over five yards. That wasn't the case in practice. We'll see if he gets a bit more aggressive against Detroit on Saturday.

ELI McGUIRE, running back
    Bilal Powell returned to practice this week, so Eli McGuire lost a few reps. Still, the rookie running back looked good. You can tell he's starting to get more comfortable, and as a result, much more patient with the ball. He has a ways to go before he can be counted on as a lead back, but the return, thus far, is promising.

FREDDIE BISHOP, linebacker
    Bishop — whom the Jets signed out of the CFL last year — started against the Titans. It was a bit of a surprise, but maybe gave him some confidence. He was quite good in practice this week.

Bishop again received a ton of first-team reps, and had a couple sacks in team work. With Lorenzo Mauldin ailing, there's a good chance he starts again against the Lions. With a good performance, he could jump Mauldin — who hasn't impressed in camp — on the depth chart.

JAMAL ADAMS, safety
    Adams was a star in organized team activities and minicamp. Maybe he's still ailing from a tweaked ankle earlier this month, but he hasn't flown around as much in training camp. This week, though, he made his presence felt ... as a rusher.

I had (unofficially) four sacks from Adams in team drills. He came untouched on most of them. It's quite entertaining, actually. Because defenders can't hit the quarterback, Adams sprints by with his finger pointed to the sky. It's his way of signaling to the coaches he got him.

This seems to be an underrated part of Adams' game. Most know what he can do in the box, and in coverage. But the fact he can (apparently) blitz, too? Todd Bowles should have fun designing plays for the safety.

DERRICK JONES, cornerback
    Jones is working largely with the third team defense. He's behind Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine, Juston Burris, Marcus Williams and Darryl Roberts. Understandably so. There are some weaknesses in the rookie's game which need to be ironed out, and likely will with time.

With that said, he had a really nice set of practices this week. On Monday, Jones picked off a Bryce Petty pass into triple coverage. A few series later, he jumped another Petty pass, deflected it in the air, and teammate Connor Harris camped underneath for the interception.

Todd Bowles loves ballhawks. He wants his cornerbacks to be physical, and attack the ball. So far, Jones is doing that.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Marshall drops far too many passes, should be interesting to see how he does in the next game. If he doesn't showcase better ball security he is gone.

8. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I don't see how Connor Hughes can claim he's been the 2nd best WR in TC with all the dropped passes he's had. I know that he's taking Adderall for ADD. I remember that we have a doctor or a couple of posters that know about this disorder more. Could that be causing him to lose concentration/focus and result in the dropped passes? If so, it looks like they could adjust the dosage so that the dropped passes don't happen. There are also tools to help develop and strengthen focus/concentration. The kid's got a ton of physical ability and talent, but it's all for naught if he can't hold onto the ball.

If it's the focus thing, then perhaps the Jets should be patient a little longer with him, but I agree that I'm sick of his drops. If it's not the focus/attention thing, then he must just have bad hands, and there's no cure for that. If that's the case, they should go ahead and release him now so that his reps can go to the other young WRs.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...New-Role/61f96a18-6cb3-4abf-b9d3-2ceb714ba0f7

What Is DL Muhammad Wilkerson’s New Role?
    Ethan Greenberg NYJets.com Contributor

Veteran D-Lineman Has Been More Vocal in 2017 and His Teammates Have Noticed

Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson[​IMG] has terrorized opposing backfields for six seasons, but this year he’s making his presence felt in a different way. Vocally.

“Pretty much get out of my comfort zone,” Wilkerson said of his new leadership role. “I’ve always been a leader on this team, but I haven’t been vocal. I had other guys who were leaders who were more vocal than I was. They’re no longer here, so I took it upon myself to step up and be more vocal.”

The 6’4”, 315-pounder broke down the team huddle before the Jets' first preseason matchup against the Titans, but the Temple product has been picking up his teammates’ spirits throughout the long, grueling days of training camp.

“I have noticed that and I love it,” fellow lineman Leonard Williams[​IMG] said. “We talk to each other sometimes and if we see something happening, we bring it up together. He’s definitely being a great leader and stepping up. He’s helping out the team and making sure everyone is staying focused and in the right direction. He’s catching the little things when they happen and stopping it before it continues. I think that’s the most important part — not waiting for it to get too bad to where we have to say something, but nip something in the bud before it starts.”

Wilkerson said he’s in good health as he battled an ankle for the majority of last season. The 27-year-old and the rest of the defensive line have taken it upon themselves to set the tone for the rest of the defense in practices and games. During TV timeouts in the preseason opener, the unit ran sprints down the sideline for further conditioning. However, Wilkerson still has individual preseason goals he’d like to accomplish before the Jets travel to Orchard Park in Week 1.

“Just work on the fundamentals, establish the line of scrimmage and take control of that,” Wilkerson said. “Get after the quarterback, do my job and be a leader. Make sure the defense is all together, all 11 guys locked in and doing what they’re supposed to do.”

I love that Mo's finally becoming a vocal leader. I don't know what his attitude problems were that resulted in being late and skipping a walk through, but hopefully they're in the past now that he has decided to be a leader. I truly think that last year's poor play was a result of his not being healthy from the broken leg. I think he's going to have a monster season this year on the field, and his leadership will help make the D even better. I don't think he's going anywhere. He will retire a Jet. Richardson better start packing.

The only thing that concerned me from the above article is Williams comment (and maybe it's just the way it came out and doesn't mean anything) that he and Mo talk to each other "sometimes." If that is true/literal, and they only speak "sometimes," there's a problem there. They need to be communicating and talking all the time. That will help improve the DL play and the D overall.

10. NCJetsfan

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...est-Camp/f4deb651-fb0a-48a0-a066-4918a18ce8e3

What's Up with Dexter McDougle's Best Camp?
    Randy LangeNYJets.com Contributor @rlangejets

Jets' 4th-Year Corner Changed Diet, Offseason Workouts & Now Says, 'I Just Want to Keep It Going'

Dex is on a roll.

"I'm just happy to be out there. I'm just trying to take advantage of it," CB Dexter McDougle[​IMG] told me this week. He was talking about his play against Tennessee but he could've been referencing this entire week of practices. "I came to the sideline from the field today and I was like, Man, this is just so fun."

Here's a rundown of No. 23's week:

■ In the second half against the Titans, he got his hands on three Alex Tanney passes. We're aware that Tanney is not Marcus Mariota and of the relative significance of many summer stats, but McDougle is only the third Jets in the last seven preseasons to defense three passes in a game.

■ On Tuesday, McDougle had an impressive position drill, matching the receiver move for move, turning at the precise moment and picking off the pass.

"Yeah, man, I just locked it up, got my head around in time and got the pick," he said. "And I felt like during practice I should've had two more but I didn't get 'em. That's something I'll look at in the film room and make sure I get it next time.

■ Early Wednesday, McDougle nabbed a pass over the middle thrown by Christian Hackenberg[​IMG].

McDougle's in his fourth season with the Jets since arriving as a third-round pick out of Maryland in 2014. What's behind his best camp as a pro?

"I changed my diet, did research on what's good for your body and what's not," he said. "Then just working out hard. I stayed here for the offseason — it's the first time I didn't go anywhere, no real vacation. I was really just about my work, just about business."

He said he dropped about 14 pounds and 6% body fat over the offseason. As a result, "Man, I'm out here moving around. I feel as fast as I've felt, so fast."

McDougle declined to speculate about how he might fit into the crowded corner picture, citing the usual don't-worry-about-the-things-you-can't-control approach.

But Dex is feeling it and he's ready to go in Detroit on Saturday night.

"I think the hard work's paying off, the sacrifices I've made are paying off," he said. "I just want to keep it going."

What's this? Who wudda thunk it? Can it be that another one of Idzik's draft picks is finally going to not just remain on the roster, but actually contribute at a pretty high level? IMO it would be big if this isn't just Jets' hype and the light has finally gone on with McDougle, and he develops into a quality CB and stays healthy.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The Jets have totally screwed up the development of Mauldin, he was a one trick pony his first year as a pass rusher and he was good at it, disrupting the pocket and making plays.

Then they asked him to bulk up, I believe that led to his ankle injury last year and a loss of quickness when he was used as a pass rusher, this year he is hurt again and I don't really know why they insist on keeping him bulked up as a pass rusher.

He should be allowed to excel at the one thing he does well, and not forced into being a LB that can cover if he can't do it.

Don't ask your players to do things they can't, it's a formula for failure. If he is cut, I believe he will be successful with another team who will use him exclusively as a pass rusher.

12. FJF

Not sure if the first year wasn't a product of mo, Sheldon and snacks having good years.

101GangGreen101 and Walt White like this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

The D-Line was excellent that year. I have not seen Mauldin display football instincts. He's not a DE and he has to have an idea of what the O is doing and how to compete intelligently. He didn't play a lot last year for a reason and why we saw Sheldon on the outside edge, not because he was let down by anybody else.

#513 Walt White, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

There's a full clip of the presser on the Jets site where the story came from, don't know if you saw it. There's some concern with Lee, but I'm gonna wait to see how much he's adjusted to the NFL experience and how he looks on the field. I thought it was 227, not 220, but I don't think it matters. If he's good 5 lbs. will not make or break him.
    He seems to me to be an intelligent dude, but has little extreme in his make up, like he gets wired a little bit, maybe has some manic in him. I'm concerned about his ability to stay grounded, and keep himself focused, if any of that makes any sense.
    Just gonna watch him play. It'll be apparent after a while of how things have developed for him.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Even in pass rushing Mauldin can't get off blocks. Idk if its mental or physical but he's fine until someone puts their hands on him. Idk if he isn't learning any pass rush moves or if he got by too much in college just bullrushing folks and he can't do it here. Idk, the physical effort appears to be there but he gets bottled up easily.

and yeah like others have said his awareness in the running game or doing anything besides rushing the passer is nonexistent. That's what separates Jordan Jenkins from him. Jenkins might struggle physically rushing the passer too but he is a smart player in the run game. Mauldin is a situational pass rusher that is not very good at rushing the passer. those guys tend to get replaced pretty quickly

101GangGreen101, FJF and Walt White like this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Down 10 pounds, Jets' Lorenzo Mauldin ready for breakout 2017
    By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Updated on May 17, 2017 at 7:56 AM Posted on May 17, 2017 at 6:30 AM

CALDWELL -- In hindsight, it probably wasn't Lorenzo Mauldin's best decision. He wanted to improve his play against the run, so last offseason, he gained 10 pounds.

It worked ... sort of. Mauldin held his ground better against bigger offensive linemen, but lost a serious amount of his speed. He didn't make nearly the impact he did as a rookie in 2015.

So, this offseason, the Jets' linebacker switched things up again.

"Lots of things changed," Mauldin told NJ Advance Media at teammate David Harris'charity golf event Monday. "Goal for this year was to lose weight."

After playing most of 2016 between 265-268 pounds, Mauldin is now at 258. He'll likely be 255 by training camp, and doesn't want to cross 260 at any point during the year. Mauldin hopes this helps him get his speed back, and finally breakout in his third season.

The Jets drafted Mauldin in the third round in 2015. They believed he had what it took to become a game-changing, pass-rushing threat from the outside. But two years in, Mauldin has been a bit of a disappointment.

He had four sacks as a situational pass rusher his rookie year. Despite high expectations heading into his sophomore campaign, he finished with 2.5 sacks in an injury-shortened 11 games. He knows if he doesn't put it all together this year, the Jets could start looking for his replacement.

"I'm going to have my butt in the training room to stay healthy," Mauldin said. "I'm going to have my butt in the weight room to get stronger and faster. I'm in the playbook every day. I'm trying to learn new things I didn't know last year. Last season was a humbling year for me."

Mauldin now has something he hasn't before: A Hall of Fame mentor. The Jets hired ex-Steeler Kevin Greene to be their outside linebackers coach in late January. He had 160 sacks in 15 NFL seasons.

Mauldin said when he got wind of Greene's hire, he instantly went to YouTube to watch his old highlights. He came away quite impressed.

"Man, this guy tells me to jump, I'm going to ask how high," Mauldin said. "This guy's a Hall of Famer. I was pretty stoked when they told me he'd be my coach."

The Jets first organized team activity is Tuesday, but Mauldin is already soaking up as much as he can from Greene. The two are trying to convert him from a strictly finesse player, to a more well-rounded one.

Mauldin said Greene wants him to use his forearm more, develop a bull rush to his pass-rushing repertoire, and put his "body" on people. If Mauldin can do this successfully, he may finally reach his full potential.

"I feel like his methods are rubbing off on me," Mauldin said. "We haven't even started practice, and I feel like I'm going to excel this year. I feel like I have a tenacity this year to do better than I have my first two seasons."

I hope the jets give him one more year under the mentoring of Greene. I still believe he can be very good for the jets.

17. NCJetsfan

Red,

I'm not sure what to think about Mauldin's bulking up and who is to blame. If what I remember reading was correct and my memory is accurate, I disagree that the Jets screwed up Mauldin's development, at least on that one issue. They certainly could have screwed him up in other ways. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that Mauldin bulked up all on his own in an effort to be better at setting the edge vs the run. In the article I read (I think in the Star Ledger), Mauldin said it was his idea, and didn't say anything about the Jets asking or telling him to bulk up.

I just googled it and found the following article. It's not the one I remember reading, and not really clear, but it may have been the article I read as I can't find one at the Star Ledger or elsewhere: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...ned-Year/baa4d6fd-ccc5-440c-a4bf-914e29af60ec

I also found this article that supports your view that the Jets asked him to bulk up: https://www.todayspigskin.com/afc/new-york-jets/time-jets-shake-defensive-line/

EDIT: You found the article!!! It's the one you posted in response to BrowningNagle. TheStarLedger must rate pretty lowly with Google. That should have been the first thing to come up as it's most recent.

As for forcing a player to do something he can't do well, I agree. Offensive and defensive systems should be tailored to fit the talent on the team, not rigid systems where square pegs are forced into round holes. The thing is teams are passing on every down now. If the DC doesn't have versatile OLBs, then it puts him in the position of playing guessing games as to when the opposing offense is going to pass, and when to get his pass rusher on the field, and then the opposing QB can always audible out of the play they had called when they see Mauldin or any player who lacks ability in one area of skill, and into another play that takes advantage of his weakness.

The other issues is that can the Jets afford to keep a spot on the roster for a part-time role player pass rusher? I would say yes if he is a stud or dominant pass rusher, but IMO Mauldin isn't at least yet, and he hasn't looked very good in TC.

The Jets don't want to be predictable on D. They don't want opposing offenses to know automatically who's rushing and who's dropping into coverage. The Jets need starting OLBs who can get the whole job done, not one-trick ponies. I hope that he can step it up in the remaining practices and last two preseason games, but if not I just want the best OLBs on the team. I really thought that Greene would have Mauldin looking and playing a lot better, but he isn't. If the Jets did screw Mauldin up, they really must have done a number on him, and knowing Bowles and Rodgers, that's not too hard to believe; but otherwise, maybe his rookie season was more of a fluke.

#517 NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

It does make sense. I remember reading an article where Lee credited Harris with keeping him grounded and even keel his rookie season, and he said he had to learn not to get too high or too low.

Walt White likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

He doesn't seem to have a counter move when a lineman puts their hands on him. I always like to look at a pass-rushers hands when they rush the passer, and he has no technique. The greatest pass-rushers in the NFL, have great hand technique like the great Deacon Jones.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

I agree with this, but he's gotta show something. Stewart will take his snaps quickly if he doesn't improve.