Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There are $6mil +1 reasons why McClown is gonna start and get the majority of the reps.

CBG likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/jets_offense_bounced_back_with_strongest_practice.html

Jets' offense bounces back with strongest practice of camp | Day 13 report
    Posted August 16, 2017 at 05:30 AM | Updated August 16, 2017 at 01:47 AM

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — The Jets' offense had a good day on Tuesday.

Seriously. It was arguably their best practice of camp.

The line held up despite several blitzes and exotic rushes. The receivers caught more passes than they dropped. The quarterbacks were sharp, accurate, and turnover-free. If there was ever a day to feel optimistic about John Morton's bunch ... Tuesday was it.

"By my trained eye, I would say it was a good day," said quarterback Josh McCown, who tossed two touchdowns in the red zone. "Guys were throwing the ball well, catching the ball, running around. We need to keep stacking those. Hopefully that will be the case.

"Obviously we have an eye on Detroit as we move forward, but competing against our defense, to come out here and play like that, it's good for us. It's a good thing to build on."

Let's get to the practice report ...

INJURIES
    The Jets got some bad news regarding Lucky Whitehead. The versatile returner/receiver broke his foot on Monday, and will be out "awhile," coach Todd Bowles said. It's unclear yet if Whitehead will land on the season-ending injured reserve.

Linebacker Freddie Bishop was sidelined with a stinger. Running back Matt Forte is still out with a hamstring issue. Receiver Marquess Wilson injured his hip Monday, and sat out Tuesday. Cornerback Xavier Coleman remains out with a deep bone bruise.

Running back Bilal Powell and safety Shamarko Thomas returned to practice. More on Powell in a bit.

SPECIAL TEAMS
    Rain forced the Jets inside, so no action for the kickers. With Lucky Whitehead out, the Jets rotated a few additional guys in at kick and punt returner.

Receivers Frankie Hammond,Chris Harper and Gabe Marks, along with running backs Jordan Todman, Romar Morris and Marcus Murphy, all took turns returning kicks.

THE QUARTERBACKS
    It was a good day for the quarterbacks. Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg each looked sharp. Bryce Petty didn't receive enough opportunities to make a difference one way or another.

One thing to note here: For the second consecutive day, Hackenberg out-repped McCown (23-20). Much ado about nothing? Maybe, but worth noting. He did have less first-team reps Tuesday than he did Monday.

FROM THE COORDINATORS
    John Morton
    (offense), Kacy Rodgers (defense) and Brant Boyer (special teams) all spoke to the media. Here are a few of the highlights:

MORTON
    • He was straight giddy when asked how he likes being an offensive coordinator. It's clear he has wanted this job for quite some time. He mentioned how prepared he felt, thanks to many of the guys — Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Sean Payton — he worked under. It's cool to see a guy finally get his shot.
    • Morton had an interesting comment regarding Christian Hackenberg. While impressed with his play, he added the second-year pro "basically, he's still a rookie." More on that here.
    • Morton didn't work with Josh McCown before the two arrived in Florham Park. Since then, though, McCown has had quite the impression. Here's what Morton said about him.

BOYER

• It sounds like the Jets kicking competition is still pretty close. Boyer called it a "dogfight," and didn't rule out Chandler Catanzaro or Ross Martin.
    • I asked Boyer how much experience will factor into his kicking decision. Catanzaro has kicked in an NFL game. Martin hasn't. Boyer said he's comfortable with either right now.

RODGERS:
    • Rodgers seemed happy with the eight sacks compiled by the Jets in the preseason opener against the Titans. He said that was an "emphasis" this offseason. The sacks have added up in practice, too. On Monday, the Jets had 12.
    • Rodgers shed some insight on linebacker Darron Lee. Apparently, at OTAs, he weight 221 pounds. When he came back for training camp — six weeks later — his weight was up to 236. The coordinator seemed happy with his physical growth.

BILAL POWELL RETURNS
    Powell hadn't practiced since he injured his neck on Aug. 4. He returned Tuesday, and on the first play, took a big shot from a group of defenders in a 7-on-7 running drill. Powell popped back up, and continued running down the field.

Powell had a few other carries where he showed impressive burst. He looks healthy. That's a good thing for the offense.

SACKS? WHAT SACKS
    The offensive line's struggles are well documented. Heck, on Monday, they allowed 12 sacks. But things were much, much better on Tuesday.

By my count — I grade a bit harsher than some — they let up three. Jeremy Faulk came in around Christian Hackenberg's legs early, then safety Jamal Adams and cornerback Dexter McDougle were both untouched. The two ran past the quarterback with their fingers pointed to the sky. That, to me, means sack.

That was it, though. Josh McCown, Hackenberg and Bryce Petty had clean pockets most of the afternoon. It was a definite step in the right direction.

SURE-HANDED WIDEOUTS
    Like sacks, drops have also been an issue at camp. Not so much on Tuesday. I counted one in individual drills (Frankie Hammond) and one other in team work (rookie Chad Hansen). That's it. Big positive.

ELI MCGUIRE IS FLASHING
    Rookie running back Eli McGuire is coming along quite nicely. He had one of the better plays of practice on Tuesday. After he caught a swing pass on the right side of the field, he trucked cornerback Morris Claiborne. The play brought out quite the reaction from the offense ... and Claiborne's defensive teammates even got on him a bit.

McGuire is getting a ton of work with Forte out. He's taking advantage of it.

TOUCHDOWNS FOR EVERYONE
    OK, that's a little extreme, but it was a very nice day for the offense. I counted — unofficially — five touchdowns by five different players. Chad Hansen, Robby Anderson, Anthony Firkser and Julian Howsare all caught them. Running back Romar Morris ran one in on a red zone carry. It's tough to call runs touchdowns, but he wasn't touched.

Hansen's score was the only one not in the red zone. He caught a deep-in and outran the defense to the end zone.

HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS
    Mostly highlights today. Here are the plays that stood out to me:
    • Linebacker Demario Davis had a beautiful pass breakup. Quarterback Josh McCown tried to get one to receiver Charone Peake on an out. He jumped up and tipped it away.
    • Linebacker Dylan Donahue flashed. He made a really nice play to sniff out an end-around to receiver ArDarius Stewart. Donahue got up the field, but didn't over-pursue the play. He sat and waited for Stewart to come back to him.
    • Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson had a nice pay when he sniffed out a screen for running back Bilal Powell. He wrapped Powell up for a would-be two-yard loss.
    • Big hit from safety Jamal Adams on tight end Erik Tomlinson. Tomlinson went up high for a catch, and Adams hit him hard to dislodge the ball.
    • Linebacker Darron Lee made a tremendous play on pass from Josh McCown to Bilal Powell on a wheel route. Lee positioned himself perfectly, then jumped in the air to tip the ball out of bounds. If he misses it, that's likely a touchdown.
    • Quarterback Christian Hackenberg had the play of practice. He threw a deep ball 50 yards down the field to the newly-signed wideout Dan Williams. Williams went up for the ball, and muscled it away from cornerback Marcus Williams. Dan Williams left practice after the catch with an apparent hand injury.

Walt White likes this.
  3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I LOLed at "The receivers caught more passes than they dropped" and "Trained eye" of McCown... associated with "strongest practice of camp"

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/when_will_jets_matt_forte_return_from_hamstring_in.html

When will Jets' Matt Forte return from hamstring injury? | Day 14 camp practice report
    Posted August 16, 2017 at 05:55 PM | Updated August 16, 2017 at 05:55 PM

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    The Jets on Wednesday held their 14th training camp practice, out of 19. Quarterback Christian Hackenberg and Co. are approaching the home stretch of camp. Here are our observations and takeaways from Wednesday's practice, as the Jets prepare for Saturday's second preseason game, at the Lions.

INJURIES
    Running back Matt Forte (hamstring) continues to be sidelined, so don't expect him to play Saturday in Detroit. He has missed most of training camp. Presumably, the Jets will want him to get some action in their third preseason game, against the Giants. After practice, Jets coach Todd Bowles said Forte remains day to day.

Running back Bilal Powell (sore neck) probably will play in Detroit. He practiced again Wednesday, for the second straight day.

Wide receiver Marquess Wilson (hip) did not practice again Wednesday, for the second straight day.

WHAT DID QUARTERBACKS DO?
    Josh McCown:
    37 reps, 18-of-28 passing, two touchdowns, one sack, one interception

Christian Hackenberg: 28 reps, 10-of-19 passing, one touchdown, two sacks, one interception

Bryce Petty: 13 reps, 7-of-11 passing, one touchdown

KICKER BATTLE
    Both Chandler Catanzaro and Ross Martin had a good day Wednesday. Catanzaro isn't ready to give up in this competition just yet. He is the only Jets kicker who attempted a field goal in the preseason opener against the Titans. He missed his lone kick, from 55 yards.

On Wednesday, both Catanzaro and Martin made all six of their field goals. The distances — 31, 33, 33, 37, 47, and 57 yards.

MORE CROWD NOISE

For the third straight day Wednesday, Bowles had crowd noise piped into practice.

Bowles wanted it loud because the Jets are playing inside this week, in Detroit.

As with Monday, the noise at Wednesday's outdoor practice wasn't quite as deafening as it was Tuesday, when the Jets practiced inside because of poor weather.

HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS
    The Jets had some issues with drops early on, but then settled down.

In drills before team periods, Jalin Marshall had two drops and ArDarius Stewart had one, which prompted offensive coordinator John Morton to kick the ball out of frustration.

In team periods, Marshall had another, and Charone Peake had one. But that was it.

The catch of the day was Robby Anderson's sweet, one-handed grab down the sideline. He beat rookie cornerback Derrick Jones on the play. Anderson was locked in Wednesday. It was probably his best practice of camp, and this was his best catch of camp.

Is anyone else sick of all the drops by the WRs, especially Jalin Marshall? I liked him last year, but am sick of his drops. They need to make him spend hours on the JUGGS machine until his hands bleed and everytime he drops a pass someone on the team ought to kick his ass. If he has bad hands, cut his ass. If it's lack of focus or concentration, do something to make him be focused. If he doesn't know the offense and is thinking too much work with the dumbass until he knows it cold. The last thing we can afford is a bunch of stupid drops. It's inexcusable in the NFL.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No sign of mauldin at practice today.
    I'm betting his days in green are numbered. Bishop got the starting reps along with Jenkins.
    Petty and hack got the bulk of the snaps today. Not sure what to make of that, mccown's lead slipping away?

101GangGreen101 and CBG like this.
  6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get the feeling that Mauldin won't last long either. Even if he does stay on the roster, I'd be shocked if he made any meaningful impact.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Mauldin re-injured his back

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

So one article says Hack had more reps than Mccown, but the other says Mccown had 37 to Hacks 28. ??

Nice to see the kickers go a combined 12-12. Also props to Folk Hero for winning the Tampa kicking competition over that 2nd round kicker.

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Your opinion of Adams vs Maye is based on what? Reading the newspapers? Espn? Draft coverage? God? Ira? How do u know who has more football intelligence? Did u test them. Interview them. Hack there college exams.

BrowningNagle and Jets69 like this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Maybe Beachum roughed him up in that fight the other day? :eek:

He had court, or a something pertaining to the assault yesterday morning too.

Bishop's getting a lot of time...

edit: and it looks like he's out of Saturday nights game.

#490 Walt White, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They ended up postponing his court case, the prosecutors didn't file something they were supposed to. Not sure if that means there is nothing to the charges or they just didn't get around to it.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I see Freddie Bishop had a stinger. Those are the absolute worst. It's a shooting pain that's starts from the neck and goes all the way down the body. I remember basically having a panic attack when I got one in high school practice because you don't know what to do other than basically ripping your shoulder pads off writhing in pain.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was actually through a buzzfeed quiz, bruh.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

It's based on several things. One, a number of the draft profiles I read on Adams raved about his football intelligence. I've also seen it mentioned in articles about Adams. After we drafted Maye, I went back and read his draft profiles. I don't recall reading that about Maye in draft coverage or in articles that talked about Maye.

Two, and perhaps more importantly, in OTAs and again in TC, Adams suddenly called out the play the offense was running right before the snap. He was right and the play was blown up. Maye hasn't done that.

Three, Adams was considered by some to be the best player in the draft, and was a consensus top 5 pick. Maye was a second round pick. The difference wasn't just on stats or measurables.

sec314 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not going to argue that Adams isn't better than Maye, BUT not by much, and in actual field performance the margin may be even smaller. So my original point was that I think they would've been better off taking Mahomes or Watson first - or even Fournette or McCaffrey - and taking Maye where they did. I know you disagree, but nothing I've seen or heard yet makes me feel any different. Of course it's a moot point, what's done is done, so it's simply pre-season entertainment.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I remember Caldwell(Jags GM) wanted to sit Bortles his entire 1st year. They didn't follow through and played him and while he performed somewhat well(not great for a 3rd overall pick) you gotta think rushing him into there and going against their plan likely hurt his development as a Quarterback.

Makes me happy we stuck with not playing Hackenberg last season and have been taking the slow approach with him this year. I feel like if we keep the slow build and then next off-season re-tool the offense, get a stud LT, another WR and a dynamic RB plus another year in this system and he'll start showing his full potential.

xxedge72x, Walt White and FJF like this.
  17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I'll give u credit u don't back down or get personal. I say screw what's written so let's judge by play in regular season so I will wait and see

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Jets PR team and social media has really been humping Maye. Idk if its because the Jamal Adams' comments about concussions made them look bad or if there is just no one else good on this team but they've been really pushing Marcus Maye. I'm sure Maye's a fine rookie but I'm gonna take any fan opinion regarding Maye at this point with a grain of salt considering all the team propaganda talking him up

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

one of those feel good training camp articles said that Darron Lee showed up at OTAs weighing 220 lbs.. and they were 'encouraged' that when he came to camp he was up to 236.

are you freakin kidding me? first off, how does Lee, who everyone knows is borderline too small even show up to minicamp weighing 220 lbs? (that's 12 lbs less than he weighed at the combine when people said he was small) what the hell was he doing after the season until June?? secondly anyone who gains that much weight from june to august is not doing it the right way.

It sounds to me like he got scolded in june so he did everything he could to simply push the number on the scale in August. By the regular season he will probably be back to the mid 220s which is too small. Idk about this Lee kid, I liked the draft pick on draft day but more and more I am discouraged by his future

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bortles was always trash tho. No one threw more garbage time TDs then Blake Bortles the past 2 seasons.

FJF likes this.