Training Camp | Day 4 | Twitter Updates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 2, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

It's day 4, practice starts at 1:50 / 2:20 (stretching). After beating the offense twice (no pads), the defense finally lost their first session yesterday (with pads, which is more important). We'll see how todays practice goes. There's a video with some of the highlights from yesterdays practice on NYJets.com: http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/v...47-8f41-403b-8d3f-8895b77ffc22?campaign=ea-tw

Geno and Fitz have yet to throw an interception through 3 days even though the defense had a couple opportunities (dropped). Some observations from Darryl Slater:

Smith's stats: 10-for-15 (66.7 percent) on Saturday; 35-for-54 (64.8 percent) overall

Fitzpatrick's stats: 6-for-11 (54.5 percent) on Saturday; 25-for-41 (60.9 percent) overall

Smith observations: He started off great, with a deep completion to Chris Owusu in the first 11-on-11 team period, which drew big cheers from the crowd. But later in that segment of plays, he threw an incomplete pass high. In his first red-zone period, he had a pass into the end zone, intended for Brandon Marshall, broken up by Antonio Cromartie. Smith started off slowly in a 5-on-7 drill, missing Marshall high on a deep ball, and then throwing the ball too far in front of Marshall on a short crossing route. Then Smith connected for a precise completion to Jeff Cumberland on the side edge of the end zone. And he hit Owusu for a deep touchdown. Smith closed the 5-on-7 period with a pretty lob to Kellen Davis on the side edge of the end zone. Good stuff here. During Smith's next team period action, he did have a completion to Marshall, but it was wobbly and under-thrown, and Marshall had to come back for it. Later, in a red-zone team period, Smith threw through traffic and found Marshall in the end zone. The pass was right on the money, and not even close to being intercepted. Smith's last play of practice was another strong one — a roll right, to escape pressure, and pass to Owusu in the end zone, during a red-zone team period. Overall, a fairly solid day for Smith. Most importantly for him through three days — no turnovers.

Fitzpatrick observations: The veteran had his issues on Saturday. Not that this moment was Fitzpatrick's fault, but in his second segment of team periods, his nicely thread pass to Walter Powell was negated when Jaiquawn Jarrett stripped the ball from Powell, after it had been completed. Fitzpatrick later threw an incomplete pass when Leonard Williams burst up the middle to pressure him. Again, not Fitzpatrick's fault, but it was that kind of day for him. He fumbled three snaps. It was unclear whether Fitzpatrick was to blame for some or all of them. Fitzpatrick did hit Saalim Hakim for a deep completion, but the ball was under-thrown. He appeared to have a good shot of hitting Marshall in the end zone during a red-zone team period, but Marshall either dropped the pass, or Dee Milliner got a hand on it. It was hard to tell for sure, but the pass fell incomplete. Fitzpatrick closed his practice with these four plays: his third fumbled snap, an incomplete pass to Jace Amaro in the end zone that Amaro couldn't hang onto in traffic, a low incomplete pass, and an offensive pass interference flag on the final play of practice. Fitzpatrick will try for a better showing Sunday.

Advantage: Smith. It's not like Smith has blown everybody away in camp so far, but he's been solid, and Fitzpatrick hasn't really done anything to wow anybody. Both quarterbacks have looked perfectly acceptable at times. Neither has looked consistently spectacular. But remember, the Jets have held just three camp practices, including only one in pads, on Saturday. In order for Fitzpatrick to overtake Smith, Fitzpatrick probably has to be great, and Smith has to be putrid. That hasn't happened early on. The major positive for both players (and its importance cannot be understated, considering recent Jets quarterback play) — neither has thrown an interception. Of course, we might've just jinxed them.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/geno_smith_vs_ryan_fitzpatrick_jets_training_camp_1.html

2. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

First off, thank you Ballhawk for these threads. You got me through a slow week at work. Second, is there any info on how Petty is doing? I still have that lil bit of crazy hope that he may just blow them away in camp and become the next great gunslinger.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Hopefully now that the pads are on we can start to hear a little bit about the running backs. With uncertainty at quarterback our running game is going to have a huge impact on the season. I actually really like Stacy, he's by far the youngest back we've got (24 years) and the only one we have under contract beyond this season. He's also the biggest threat as a pass catcher, and Gailey really like to use running backs out of the backfield.

Check out the run at 1:06, I think he's got some potential.

He's obviously on the roster bubble and in danger of getting cut, but if Ridley can't get healthy I'd like a 1-2 punch with him and Ivory.

4. DaBallhawk

I really wouldn't expect anything from Petty at this point, he's gonna struggle here and there these first few practices. Once he settles in a little I think we'll see him make more and more progress. He's just starting out trying to play in a pro type offense. The next few weeks hopefully he's gonna take the next few steps and especially the preseason will be huge for him. He's gonna play like 5-6 quarters against backups where he can show us something. But that said he has made some really good throws in camp but also some that were pretty bad. So all in all similar to Geno and Fitz. Realistically he might not play until week 15 or something if we're out of the playoff race.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  5. DaBallhawk

I like Stacy but he's more of a poor mans Ivory. But I think he'll end up beating out Ridley for the #3 job. I wouldn't mind actually trading for that other Saints RB (Khiry Robinson), he can probably be had for a 7th rounder. Same guy as Ivory almost. Then you have Powell as the 3rd down back, you could really split the touches evenly among those 3 and hardly have a dropoff in talent or production.

6. DaBallhawk

That look on Dozier's face is priceless. It's like he's trying to stare Willie out of the RG competition.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that Stacy is the biggest threat as a pass catcher. I think that distinction probably belongs to Powell.

FJF likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why in the world would we trade a draft pick to get Robinson, when he's similar to Ivory, and when both Ridley and Stacy are also similar to Ivory. That makes no sense. If we're going to trade for a RB, it needs to be someone fast and slippery who is a great receiving threat out of the backfield and can score from anywhere on the field, not another pounder. With Ivory and Stacy you basically have the same back, and if Ridley is healthy, we already have 3 that are interchangeable. Again, it's better to have a change of pace back who is different than have only three and they all have the same skill sets (same type of RBs).

9. Big Cat

I think they're about on the same level. Stacy's rookie year he went 26 catches for 151 yards then as a backup last year he went 18/152. Powell's last 3 years are 17/140, 36/272 and 11/92. They both averaged 8.4 yards per reception last season which is actually good considering a lot of receptions for running backs are short checkdowns. I like Stacy a little better as a runner which makes me more inclined to want to use him on passing downs.

Not sure he's as good as Powell in pass pro, though.

themorey likes this.
  10. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Why? It would be better if Smith and Petty both "blow them away"? That would be better for the Jets.

FlaJet likes this.
  11. DaBallhawk

I haven't seen him play too much, but from what I've read he's a power back in the mold of Ivory, but not quite as good/talented. I don't think he can block or catch but I know little about him to be honest.

We just signed a new WR by the way.

We have signed WR Jarrod West.

6'3 - 212 pounds, UDFA. Ran a 4.5 at the pro day (Syracuse).

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

When Smith throws a pick in camp (and it will happen) can we please not act like the sky is falling?

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

We should sign Pierre Thomas. I think he's still FA

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Pierre Thomas > Zac Stacy. Would absolutely cut one for the other. Seems like a perfect fit for the offense too.

15. Big Cat

Didn't realize Thomas was out there. I'd definitely offer him the vet minimum if he'd take it.

16. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Obviously I want any or all QB's to step up and this team to win immediately. I just haven't heard much about Petty and wanted an update. End of the day I don't care who wins the QB competition as long as they win on Sundays.

17. DaBallhawk

WR DeVier Posey is not in pads. Not sure what injury is

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

NFL network is doing a live spot from training camp as we speak if you're interested…

DaBallhawk likes this.
  19. dgiven91

dgiven91 Active Member

That already happened when he underthrew Devin Smith on day 2. First pick and at least two people will say "If he starts we won't win a game".

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Nice. Love me some alumni.

Solid receiver, good hands, good size, not a burner, was probably our 3rd option last year. Had a few really good games but never got into the end zone last year.

_