Trading up for QB is looking like a necessity.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Would you trade up in the draft for...

1. Rosen

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Darnold

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Mayfield

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. Allen

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Hope one falls to 6

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Giants or Broncos want to take a QB, I’m more concerned of the teams behind the Jets moving into top 5 to select one. Teams like the Cards, Phins & Bills are going to be trying like crazy to get into top 5.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It has to be pick # 1.

Lets assume the Jets have only one QB that they feel is worth moving up for, or even if they've identified two, they still have a clear preference for one:

If the Jets try to trade for 2 or 3, then the Bills end up acquiring the 1st pick from the Browns, suddenly the Jets are pinned back and helpless, unable to get their preference. They then have to wait until draft day to move up to pick 2, also risking that someone else jumps them sooner.

If the Jets trade for pick 1, it will cost more in compensation, but it also gives them the freedom to get the trade done today and not have to play a reaction game to the rest of the league. Do we really want to see the Bills get the guy we want, and then succeed with that guy because we were stingy on a draft pick or two? This would suck tremendously.

It is worth giving up the extra compensation in order to control the board.

NYJetsO12 and GQMartin like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can’t disagree here. If they lose out on Cousins, maybe they try to trade up with the Browns ASAP.

NYJetsO12 and xxedge72x like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Edge, the amount of compensation that it will take for the jets to get the #1 pick is astronomical, the jets have too many holes to fill especially on offense that it will leave them bare and once again trotting out Mcown with few weapons on offense to make an impact.

Do we really want to see a bottom third offense because the FQB they drafted #1 or Mcown have no weapons or an oline to protect them or open up holes for the RB?

The jets have committed themselves to building through the draft, there is no way they do a 180 and scrap that philosophy this year, I believe you may hear news about them talking with the Browns but I think asking price will be too much for Mac as it will cripple his philosophy.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, we're in unusual territory this year, and you may be right that one of those 4 are still there at #6, although I really don't count Allen as a top QB and would be really pissed if that's who Macc takes. But I think there's a decent possibility that all 4 QBs could go in the first four picks, given the premium of the position and the number of teams who need one. Yes, Barkley, Chubb, and even Nelson might sneak into the first four picks, but not necessarily. If the Jets want a QB, they had better do everything they can to trade up to 3 or 4 to even have a shot at one they like.

But if Macc doesn't sign Cousins, and he sits at 6 and then doesn't get a QB there either, I don't think I'll be alone in being disgusted.

NYJetsO12, Red Menace and xxedge72x like this.
  6. xxedge72x

Keep in mind, QB, more than any other position that a team would draft, is where if you select the right player, they can be around for 10+ years. Considering what a player like that does for a franchise, losing a few draft picks in a two year period is not astronomical.

I get your point about building through the draft, but keep in mind league rules will force the Jets into being an active player in free agency. The Jets have an abundance of cap space and can mask some of the deficiencies caused by losing quantity of draft picks.

If this means finally getting that QB, it is completely worth it. That's a foundational move, and is still technically building through the draft.

7. ColoradoContrails

I agree with your philosophy, but I really don't see any way that Cleveland trades away that pick. You say yourself how much it would suck to see another team grab the QB that goes on to win a SB, can you imagine being a Browns fan and not only seeing that happen, but knowing that your team TRADED AWAY that pick?! They might have to move the franchise in the middle of the night again to save lives!

I do think they have to do what it takes to move to #2, 3, or 4 though.

8. xxedge72x

Can totally buy this. Also completely agree, if the Browns trade away the pick that ends up helping a team win Super Bowls, their fans will riot.

That said, the Jets should be in the Browns ear relentlessly to avoid getting burnt by the Bills or anyone else for that matter.

IF the Browns are willing to trade that pick, Jets should be all in.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

absolutely true......especially if the jets do NOT sign cousins. if they do sign cousins, their pick is in play and the jets could make out pretty well in a trade. BUT if they do not sign him, there is a giant billboard announcing the jets have to take a QB at 6 and teams will leapfrog in to top 5.

all the more reason for the jets to trade up into 2 or 3. same thing for the broncos. crap i wish we had a 4-12 last year. fuck.

Attackett likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

And this is why the Jets need to trade up. The only team with arguable more draft capital that the Jets are the Bills, and any team that trades with them will drop all the way down to the bottom third of the first round if they do. Still, if that team isn't looking for premium players like QB, Barkley, Chubb , or Nelson, and can be happy with slightly lesser players, they might be happy to pick up two firsts and maybe an "almost 1st" from the Bills in return for their pick. I could definitely see the Giants doing that, especially if by doing so they could screw the Jets. But aside from the Bills, I don't see anyone being able to offer what the Jets could, so it really falls on Macc to show us how serious he is in getting a true FQB, instead of trying to prove how "smart" he is by finding "hidden gems" that no one else can see.

Attackett likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If the Giants are smart they would be trying to entice the Jets to move up to 2. If the Jets were smart they would take them up on the offer.

It really make the most sense for both team. Giants can move back and still get a top tier talent like Nelson or still be in position to move down again. We all know the benefit to the Jets. Broncos also fit this criteria for them but I’m not so sure they will be after a QB.

Both the Giants and Colts should be taking advantage of this QB draft and moving down multiple times.

12. ColoradoContrails

Yes, although the Browns are in the best position, I can't remember when a team with the #2 pick had so much leverage. The Giants could trade their #2 to the Browns for the #4 and draft capital, and then trade the #4 with somebody - the Jets? Bills? Cards? - for even more draft capital.

How much did everyone enjoy those 2 or 3 extra wins last year? How long will they be remembered? Well, at least Bowles saved his job.

13. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think this is one draft a team that has a chance to draft a franchise changing player like Barkley can't miss the opportunity....yea a RB but he can do it all and very well. Exactly the reason the #1 overall will not be for sale. Barkley and Taylor will be fun to watch.
    I do believe Cleveland will be taking calls for the #4. With that said I don't think the compensation they ask for will be anything MM would want to give up but really it's only 2 spots so maybe not to bad. If Cleveland smells desperation well you can bet the price will be high no matter how small the trade up is.

JetsfanHBca likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Imagine how you and Jets Nation will feel if we do spend a lot of value to trade up and take QB X and it turns out that only 2 QB's are gone by the 6. Misreading this draft and paying a lot of value to get a guy who would have likely been there on 6 anyway is one of the ways the Jets can screw up.

Red Menace and nicg4360 like this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Why not? They share the same building and gain more revenue as a whole if both teams are successful. I never understood the cross town rival idea. They aren't rivals.

Br4d likes this.
  16. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

More revenue eh...the commissioner will likely be involved with negotiations lol.

17. ColoradoContrails

Personally, if the Jets get Rosen of Mayfield I don't care who would be available at #6 at that point. I'd feel just fine. But flip the situation to what you advocate, and the odds are much greater that the QB they want is NOT there at 6, and then I would be really pissed if I knew that Macc could've traded up but didn't.

Frankly, if you identify a guy you really want, and you have the ability to get him by trading up to make sure of it, I think that's the smart move. Not all QBs are created equal, so sitting and waiting and being ok with taking the "leftovers" doesn't make sense. How well will your leftover fit into your system? Will all of them fit equally well? No way. And if the guy you get doesn't fit, you're left with either having to try and fit a square peg into a round hole - the SOJs way - or scrapping your system - and OC - and creating anew one around your guy. Neither of those choices are good ones. Unless you have a crystal ball or some other way of seeing the future, you can't know which guy will fall to #6 for sure.

All that said, I don't think Macc is a gambler and he will likely sit at #6 and hope for the best.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets identify that QB as the one that they think is the best and the one they want and he pans out, then I'm sure Jets Nation will be quite happy. Conversely, if Mac stays put "hoping" the QB they covet falls, and Denver takes him or the Bills trade ahead of the Jets and take him, Jets Nation will be quite livid if word gets out that the QB the Jets coveted was taken by another team when they could have traded up and had him.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yeah but in this scenario, if I'm the GM, I'm not disclosing who my guy was if I didn't get him.

If I do take a QB, regardless of where they fell on my draft board, he was my guy all along.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

If one of the Quarterbacks that we like is not there at #6 I will be more then happy to select, Chubb, Nelson, Ward, Smith, in no particular order or tradedown is a Win Win for us.