Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm wondering which Sam shows up on a cold Sunday afternoon. Actually, the schedule make did Sam a favor as the only late game is against the Titans in Tenn. Except for that game, all the other games are early starts. The only other games I see on the schedule where weather MIGHT be a problem is 12/9 in Buffalo and 12/30 in Foxboro. I figure if there's weather in the Titans game it will affect both teams. The 12/23 game vs. the Packers might also pose a challenge.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

If weather was an issue in mid-October it can certainly be an issue in any game going forward at MetLife, and it's very possible that Darnold will be more affected by it than the opposition QB. This is just another reason why no one has the slightest idea right now what Darnold's long-term future is. We literally have no information about so many aspects of it.

3. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

New York post already said he hates the cold and put out a poor effort raising major red flags as the headline

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I call all of this cold stuff, bullshit.

Sam Danrold is from the West Coast, obviously somewhere that is not cold. He didn't play in much cold weather in college either, but people are acting like it was snowing and freezing on Sunday. Yeah, it was cold and the wind was howling, but to say that is the reason for the the loss and the poor playing does not make much sense to me. Again, he missed some throws and made a few bad mistakes, but how were they any different than the mistakes he's made the entire year so far? He's a 21 year old rookie lol he will make boneheaded decisions and dumb throws. That's part of him growing.

Could the cold weather be an issue this year until he gets used to it, yes, maybe, but to say Sunday was an issue for him and that he was freezing his ass off, just does not add up, imo. I think the 40mph gusts of wind might have had an impact. But that's about it

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That read like a typical Steve Serby reach to create a negative narrative

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

a career almost 100 QB rating is stupidly good. also remember NFL rule changes to favor QBs kicked in more as well over his career and he never had much at WR either. he still came into the league and leading up to that season in his 6 years before that as a starter over 2-1 TD to INT ratio and his worst was a 1.5 to 1 season and he's never thrown less the 60% completions. he never struggled at all. sure he got better over time but he never looked like a rookie or struggled and he was surely a big reason they won 3 Sbs in his 1st four years as a starter. and while he did have a great coach, he never really had a great supporting cast on offense. even to this day. the 1 year he did he broke the NFL TD record
    say what you will about rex but he knew how to call a good defense. if only we had a decent QB during his tenure.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Pats don't sniff the SB if Bledsoe hadn't been injured. In the game against Oakland in horrible weather they ran the ball 30 times for 68 yards. Brady threw the ball 52 times in that game. In the Steeler game the ran the ball 25 times for 67 yards. Brady threw the ball 39 times in that game. He was solid not spectacular in the Ram SB win. They don't sniff the playoffs let alone make it to the first SB without Brady. The 2nd SB run he was throwing the ball right around 40 times a game 5TD 1Int. INT.

The Pats weren't remotely the same team without Brady that they were with Brady. It was obvious to any Jets fan who saw the game Bledsoe got hurt in. The Pats had a completely different persona with Brady that permeated the entire team.

Brady is a lot more than stats. His a once in a lifetime leader who pulls the entire organization forward either willingly or kicking and screaming.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah this is a story created by the NY Media.......does he like to play in cold ? Probably not who really does ? It was his first cold game and It is something he's going to have to learn to play in...that being said 40+ mph gusts are going to play havoc with every QB. I would also add a piss poor line, terrible running game, dropped passes, bad penalties, silly play calling, a very formidable opposing defense PLUS 40 MPH gusts and cold can make any NFL QBs day pretty bad......

In the end he played his 7th NFL game.....

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you. No QB likes wind. Cousins played under the same conditions and had a pretty good game. He has better skill talent around him by miles. He also has NFL experience in wind and cold. The other thing he had was the lead. When you fall behind in the NFL it tends to force you to be more aggressive on O. The wind and bad weather make that a higher risk/reward strategy. You need to get closer to get field goals, windows to throw in become a little dicer. It's all part of the learning experience. If you haven't done it, it doesn't mean you can't do it. You have to learn how to do it.

Sam is going to play a lot of games in NE, Buffalo and the Meadowlands. He will either adjust or he won't. Saying he doesn't like it or can't at this point is meaningless drivel.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Still tracking here?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Nick Mullens is kicking ass.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Can’t believe Mac took darnold over this guy.
    Fire everyone

stinkyB likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Serby, he's the only sports-writer I know who trolls his own team. Or so he's always said it's his team. I've often wondered if he really even a fan. I don't mind just criticism where it belongs, but some of the things he's written over the years, ooofa. Like I always say, "Jets Have Won Their Second Super Bowl - But Still Can't Win the Big One" - Steve Serby.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It was worth drafting Todd No. 1 for 2 moments. The TD pass to Walker against the Raiders and for assaulting Steve Serby in the locker room.

stinkyB, Walt White and FJF like this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

And Marty Lyons ignoring the choke out on Serby, whistling, and walking on by. LMAO. Marty later said, "I wasn't sure what was happening." OK, hahaha, believe that one, I'll tell you another. I hope Marty is doing well now (post stroke). He's one of my favorite all time Jets. A classic bleeder.

17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

You know what wins in cold weather?

Running game and defense

2 things we will improve on in 2018

Hopefully

18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay with the updated stats!

We have a 4 month old girl in the house and things were very busy this week haha

GasedAndConfused and donkey like this.
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

please stop tracking...

nyjetsmets89 and Jets69 like this.