Tony Romo replaces Phil Simms on CBS

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Sam Hammer, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread about this, so I apologize if I missed it. I'm loving this story. CBS hired Tony Romo to replace Phil Simms as the #1 CBS color commentator. Giants fans are super butthurt about this, but IMO Simms came off like a blithering idiot in many broadcasts, especially Jets ones. He whines about calls when he is blatantly wrong, gets names wrong, uses nothing but cheesy cliches instead of solid football analysis. He's like Troy Aikman light. I get that he won a superbowl, but that doesn't automatically make you a good announcer. It's so funny listening to all the Giants homers go crazy over this, like CBS stole their first born child. They even dedicated like an hour on Michael Kay to basically do nothing but bash Romo's career, as if it has anything to do with his ability to commentate.

I think this is a great move, and probably will improve the CBS broadcasting team as a whole. So sick of the bias that Phil Simms shows against the Jets and downright stupid statements he makes. Winning a superbowl doesn't make you a good analyst. In my book, Romo is a better QB than Eli Manning or Phil Simms. Yeah, he made some critical mistakes in big moments, and didn't win a superbowl, but when healthy he was an elite QB. Hopefully he will be a better announcer as well and actually analyze stuff, unlike Simms.

#1 Sam Hammer, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I never much liked Simms either and I never though his bias was as much against the Jets as it was for the Shitriots. Anyway Romo has a whole lot to prove as an announcer before I would say it is a good move..he has exactly 0 experience announcing anything.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're wrong, he just announced his retirement. :p

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He had a conference call with reporters ...long winded and boring

Predict he joins the douchbag ranks with Dan Dierdorf and Jet hater Dan Fouts

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

lol

6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Don't care that Simms got canned but how does CBS know Romo is going to be any better? The guy has zero broadcasting credential

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

so you dont like simms because he is an ex giant and you feel he is biased toward the jets. ok cool. nothing you say matters then.

simms got the shaft, from what i have heard things were not well with him and his partner. shit happens.

but to bring a brand new guy in and put him in the top spot doesnt make alot of sense either. there are lots of guys who i am sure would have been very happy and had worked toward that spot. to bring in some douche off the street because he might bring some pizazz to the broadcast is silly and bound to fail. nobody.... let me repeat NOBODY is going to watch a broadcast because the color commentator is anyone. they will stop watching if it turns out he isnt very good.

and that is my hope, he sucks, they wear egg on their face and they have to put him down to a regional game while promoting someone else.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And my hope is...I don't have one I guess. Who really gives a flying fuck who the color commentator is? Do I feel good for Romo? No. Do I feel bad for Simms? No. Why does any football fan give a crap about any of this B.S.? Why does anybody at all except for their families?

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

#offseason

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Keep going, you're building up to a really good rant.

11. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Not like the bar is very high.

Freddy Mondo and Sam Hammer like this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Apparently he talked about the Super Bowl 49 match up for 10 minutes with the head honcho at CBS over casual drinks and that guy got a boner for Romo.

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

So my opinion is invalid because I think Phil Simms is a bad announcer? It's not just because he's an ex-giant, it's because he makes me cringe when he comments on things when he should just keep his trap shut. I'm also tired of the cheesy cliches and Bigalow tea promotions. To me, he's simply not a good announcer, and yeah he does take shots at the Jets whenever he can, that doesn't help his case with Jets fans.

Tony Romo is just some douche off the streets? I'm sorry but the Cowboys are one of the more popular teams in the league, this move makes sense. You act like commentating is some crazy hard job, literally all you do is watch football and talk about it, especially as a color guy. CBS probably gave him a test run and they were blown away by his composure, voice and analysis. That's probably why he got the job.

Funny thing about all this is that there is now another rumor that Romo might still end up going to play for the Texans. That would be pretty funny.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I never really noticed an overt bias against the Jets from Phil Simms. He gave them credit when they played well and told the truth when they looked like shit.

Jim Nantz was the one on that team that hated the Jets, he's a Patriots dicksucker to the Nth degree.

xxedge72x and PulseJet like this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

+1

Nantz is also chums with Tank Francesser and jumped on the hate wagon with Tank when Fatboy was hating on Rex and Tanny with all kinds of moral indignation and shit and Nantz started looking down his nose at the team

Maybe he was on the hate wagon already, idk. He gives Tank reacharounds all the same anyway.
    Can't stand the the dude. Tough to respect either one of those fucks

16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with Simms. Romo better bring his A game. Kind of an odd move by CBS.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fuck Jim Nantz

BacktoQueens and abyzmul like this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I actually liked Simms, but Nantz makes my skin crawl.
    such a Cheatriots c*ck smoker....

19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

For those that hate Nance, and for why Simms was demoted: