Tom Petty hospitalized

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by GREG, Oct 2, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">1pm: Tom Petty has died.<br><br>4pm: Tom Petty is clinging to life.<br><br>8pm: Tom Petty performs benefit concert for Las Vegas.</p>&mdash; ALWAYS PUNCH NAZIS (@hogdoglogplayz) <a href="">October 2, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

"I'm not dead yet"

#22 The Waterboy, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Royal Tee likes this.
  3. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Another one bites the dust

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Tom Petty , wow that's a tough one, loved TP, RIP

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

R.i.p. Tom Petty
    People come people go

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He was probably the best song writer of my generation. This sucks.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He lived here in St. Aug for quite awhile in Crescent Beach (like most folks from G-ville that want to go to the beach)... Aside from a great songwriter, he was a good, regular dude.

Hopefully he enjoyed his Last Dance With Mary Jane.......... RIP :(

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Why is this post active..????

Don't disrespect

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Because there was news related to his death????

Try reading the last post, you could answer this all by yourself with just a little effort. There's nothing disrespectful about posting the news.

FJF likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Is this going to affect his playing time on the Jets?

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What's a 66 year old with a broken hip doing going on tour?

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Don't disrespect.

FJF likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Doing what he loves.

15. Dierking

talk about killing yourself to live

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm 41 and still play rec league hockey as a goalie. In the last 3 years I've had 2 surgeries from it. I know when I finally hang it up and quit playing its because I'm too old and its looking like this is going to be soon. I'll be giving up something I love in life because my body can't do it anymore and that is tough to face. I understand him playing through pain. When an activity fills you with life and enegry like nothing else its hard to walk away.

17. Dierking

I hear ya, but when you need to take a cocktail of narcotics in order to partake in that activity, the cost/benefit analysis really cuts heavily in favor of giving it up. I mean, at least wait until your fractured hip is healed.

Harpua likes this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That’s a good point and I get that.

Sometimes people feel indestructible when they’ve been through a lot. These narcotic pain killers really do take the edge off the pain but can also quickly catch up to people. I feel for the showman who wanted to keep playing and for the family who’s now missing a father, husband etc.

We are Americans. We play through pain and expect our hero’s to. We work too much. We put all else aside to get the job done or at least that’s a big part of our mentality. The NFL is facing the consequences of that mentality now with CTE and the concussion protocol. Still is hard to shake because it is part of the fabric of our society.

19. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Then I have no problem saying: That is a stupid fabric.

If he did it because he truly, truly, truly loved touring, fine. That's passion. Misguided, short-sighted passion... but passion nonetheless. Great. Fine. Whatever.

But to say it's hard to shake because it's a part of our society? Man, if we expect people to "get the job done" at the expense of their well-being or their life... I disagree with just Mellencamping it up and saying, "Ain't that America?" That's just fucked up.

If you're sick, go home. Rest. Get better. Don't get everyone else sick. You're not winning a Trooper Award (that ultimately turned out to decrease productivity because you infected four other people).

Take a two week vacation. Recharge your battery. Sharpen the saw. Pick your preferred annoying catch phrase. You'll be better off for it and do better work when you come back. (There's a reason why most of Europe takes ALL OF AUGUST OFF and it probably has something to do with why they have far less cardiovascular disease.)

Don't work sixty hour weeks just to show off. You're actually not more productive. I've worked with scientists who are all about putting in 70 hours weeks. In almost every case, they've been outperformed by well-organized, well-rested, efficient scientists who can get their shit done in 40 hours. The ones who work 60 hours? They're just doing shitty work.

Anyway. Whatever. I miss Tom Petty, and I was sad to hear that this is part of what led to his downfall. Fuck opioids. (Except for the opioids that got me through my car accident. They cool.)