Todd Bowles preaches accountability

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 7, 2015.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/jace_amaro_rex_ryan_didnt_hold_jets_accountable.html

"
    players are eager to say how no-nonsense new head coach Todd Bowles seems to be.

"He's a very stern guy, a very stern coach," quarterback Geno Smith said, per the team's website.

"Strong-minded, and to the team he speaks his mind," defensive end Sheldon Richardsontold the team's website.

"We got to see him up in front of the team [Monday] morning," center Nick Mangold told reporters Monday. "He's got a great passion."

But tight end Jace Amaro, now entering his second season, was the first to draw a distinction between Bowles and Rex Ryan, who was fired after 2014 and is now the head man with the Bills.

In an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio, Amaro didn't mention Ryan by name. But he didn't have to.
    "He's not really playing around with everyone being late," Amaro said of Bowles. "We had an issue with that last year. Guys just weren't accountable last year as much as they could be. I think that's the biggest thing. [Bowles is] making sure everyone's gonna be 100 percent in or he's not going to be on the team."

Smith had missed a meeting because of some time-zone confusion on the night before the Jets got drilled by the Chargers last October. But by saying tardiness was "an issue," Amaro implied the problem wasn't just about that isolated incident involving Smith. Amaro also implied that compared to Ryan, Bowles won't be messing around.
    "

Cman68, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Love this. Forget about his schemes, his defensive mind or whatever. Keep people accountable. Breath of fresh air. Welcome to Jets Bowles. Now twist some balls.

Axel3419, Jets69, Walt White and 3 others like this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this shows during the regular season.

I feel like we always hear this when a new coach is brought in. Then when things start going bad, he isnt holding players accountable.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yea we will see when those "12 men on the field" penalties start back up.

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex was "letting things slide"?

[​IMG]

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Something tells me we won't be totally unprepared for a game particularly after the bye like in years past. Rex was selective and more fre wheeling. Seems to me the preparation by Rex against NE was far and away different and more intensive than any other game.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Last year I always said one of the biggest problem Rex had was control and lack of discipline.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's early of course, but I'm loving that I'm already hearing these kinds of things. They confirm what was said about Bowles while he was being interviewed, and what he himself has said. These players will be held accountable. There will be no turning a blind eye and letting things slide like with Rex. Rex is a lazy, undisciplined doofus. That's one of the major reasons he will NEVER win a Lombardi Trophy and probably not even a division crown in spite of having some very talented teams.

You guys who have suggested that we might have a shot at a QB in the next couple of years if we go 4-12 again better forget that nonsense now. In spite of its flaws and holes, this team has too much talent and Bowles is too good a defensive coach and disciplinarian for that to happen. He will have this team prepared for each and EVERY game. There will be none of this not showing up for a half BS that we frequently saw with Rex. There won't be perennial losses after BYE weeks. There probably won't be any blowout losses, either. This man is a professional. If Mac is anywhere near as good a talent evaluator as we've heard, this team is gonna be one to be reckoned with in a few years.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So players aren't going to be taking it upon themselves to be calling timeouts this year?

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm hoping we can count on Bowles not to be tuned to a different channel on the headset while his OC is frantically screaming at him to call a timeout from somewhere down the sideline in any case.

I can't fault Bowles for anything he's said so far. Let's hope it materialises.

12. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

This pissed me off more than anything. You'd think after the first bye week shit show Rex would have stopped giving players mini vacations.

13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Dave and Busters

jetsclaps likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's all noise until he gets results.

It won't take much to make this team better than last season.

There were great teams in NFL history that were "undisciplined"...if showing up on time won championships, then the Giants would win every year.

Royal Tee and Jake like this.
  15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Fans are funny. They used to trash Mangini relentlessly for being too strict.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think it was more that he was an impersonal douche-bag trying too hard to be Belichick than him being too strict. As with anything you can't take it too far.

Red Menace and Axel3419 like this.
  17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It's good to hear I guess but doesn't really mean much. They say this kind of stuff all the time with a new coach about how it's a different mentality and stuff but if it doesn't result in, well, results then it's of no real consequence.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

But will he make the Jets relevant?

jonnyd likes this.
  19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Give him a chance. Maybe he'll give some twerp the finger at a bar, or we'll find out what his fetish is

Pocket Jet likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Bowles coached under Al Groh? Interesting.

Anyway, I hope he's as focused as he comes across in interviews.

Now all we need is a quarterback.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.