Todd Bowles declares McCown starter for rest of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 6, 2017.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mara begs to disagree with you.

2. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

How so? Mara admitted he was the one who initiated playing other QBs.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Thats ok if you disagree and you think my rationale is lacking. The reality is very clear to me, Maccagnan and Bowles, although not tied to the hip, went into the season wanting Hackenberg to start. They gave him the majority of the reps in training camp and started him in preseason. He didn't do well unfortunately. Petty although playing well, did so against 2nd and 3rd stringers and the fact that they didn't give him a more serious look at starter with 1's means they don't think much of him either or else he would have been given the starting spot and would have received more reps.

That leaves us with the end of TC where McCown, despite having minimal reps, was named starter. He's played well for us although committing some dumb mistakes at the end of games.

Leads us to now, Bowles coming out saying McCown will start the rest of the way. I don't need evidence to come to a relatively common sense conclusion. A few weeks ago Bowles even said that he saw what Hack and Petty are and McCown is his QB, what else do you want to hear from Bowles?

I think this is more about Maccagnan getting some blame for all of this rather than Bowles starting McCown for you and that's ok because I get you don't like Bowles, I don't either, but Maccagnan needs to be held liable for his mistakes and that includes the fact that he drafted 2 QB's (Hack being a 2nd round QB) and neither of them are able to start over a 38 year old journeyman QB.

And again yes, Maccagnan does not control Bowles, but they of course meet regularly regarding player performance. Had we started Hack or Petty we'd have a much worse record and both of them would be gone at seasons end. Right now Maccagnan and Bowles are thinking the same thing - start the QB that can win us games because nothing is guaranteed.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That kind of sound logic and reason doesn’t really fly around here

grkmanga31 and hornblower like this.
  5. FJF

Our class act resorting to name calling

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

LOL

Let's go!

[​IMG]

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Peoples biases come in to play here..they dislike Bowles and like McCagnan so blame Bowles for not playing young QBs...the most likely scenario is Mac drafted a couple of bust QBs that can't play and both Mac and Bowles know it...and I don't even like the coach.

8. grkmanga31

Don't get why this is so hard to understand. They both suck and despite being given the opportunity to win the starting job (particularly Hack) they still had to give the starter spot to McCown because he's just better. It's not so hard to fathom that Macc did an awful job evaluating both QB's and they weren't seen as starters.

MJK and Red Menace like this.
  9. Is this regime really that out of touch though? While complicated the fans sentiment shouldn’t be that foreign to them..it’s all we’ve been talking about since basically last December. What’s transpiring right now is exactly what we all feared would happen.Crappy team not crappy enough to tank & absolutely zero hope for change.

If Mccown has to start the rest of the year so be it.But stop acting so standoffish about it. And don’t pretend the fans are in anyway happy w 5-7 or Mccown starting.

I’m tired of hearing that Bowles job is solely to win games.Maybe in his eyes that’s true but the ones who buy the tickets & the jerseys have a much different take. If he wants to be part of the solution show even the slightest bit of reality toward the situation.The situation SUCKS for the long time Fan. If he wants an extension how bout at least acknowledging an eye for the future instead of pretending we’re accomplishing anything in another Piss poor season. It’s as if only cares about keeping his job..but part of his job is building for the future...I see nothing indicating change.Just the same old conservative bullshit getting shoved down our throats.Another sub .500 holiday season.

10. grkmanga31

I don't disagree but given the results of last season, Bowles isn't going to start Hack or Petty and end up being fired. Upper management has not given them any sort of reassurance they would be back for another season and they shouldn't. Both Bowles and Macc have accomplished nothing while being here and if they think re-signing McCown and starting him next season is going to save their jobs, they would be taking a major risk.

Overall, I think all of us would agree that we would have preferred to see the young guns but it was apparent that trotting them out as starters would have not only led for Bowles and Macc to be fired, but we'd be trotting out QB's that flat out didn't deserve to play. The tank would have been unavoidable and they wouldn't even be able to deny it.

For now, it's better to see how the remaining 4 games go, and what that means for the future. Next season I will be furious if Maccagnan gets into a bidding war to re-sign McCown only for it to backfire. It would be the quickest way for him to get fired IMO.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't think it's hard to understand, but I do see why fans are hesitant to believe it when TC is not a big enough sample size for 2 young guys to beat out a guy who's been in the league for 10 years.

Mcowns age is used as a negative but in reality it was his seasoned career that allowed him to get the starter spot over kids who have not had 10 years of development.

I also have no issues blaming Macc for dropping the ball on the 2 QBs he drafted, if they can't see the field after 3 years in the league then he has to be held accountable for that.

Petty will give us an answer next year when he moves on to another team, Hack will be riding the bench for the next 2 years just like Petty did.

Let's hope Macc can get the QB right this next draft.

grkmanga31 and MJK like this.
  12. FJF

I hope Bowles is not giving the fan base one thought when he make his decisions. Can’t coach like that. I doubt any coach does. Not any that are still employed anyway. Coaches coach to win games. The marketing dept is tasked with selling the product

13. grkmanga31

I understand the hesitance but I think the comments from a few weeks ago when Bowles said I saw petty and hack and McCown is my qb was the nail in the coffin. Right now, no matter whether we win or lose the next 4 games it won’t matter because McCown owns the starter spot.

What’s important isn’t the now, what’s important is what happens in the offseason for 2018. Do we go after McCown like we did with fitz? If so that’s a problem in my eyes even though I do think McCown is a better player than fitz and is more importantly a better person and locker room presence. But again Maccagnan has gotten by with smoke and mirrors with these journeymen QB’s and that won’t last. It almost got him fired last season and if it backfired again he will be gone next season.

They have to be very careful and understand that fans aren’t excited about what we’re seeing on the field because it’s not happening with a young QB. We still aren’t a playoff aspiring team right now even if we aren’t mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  14. At the end of the day the fans want what’s best for the franchise based on history.Bowles shouldn’t care bout the fan base but he should care about the franchises long term success in the same manner.

If Bowles is solely here to win games than he should be gone at years end no questions asked.Hes lost far more than he’s won & zero playoff appearances. Don’t wanna year shit about the roster when he’s proud to trot out caca at QB. & shows no regard for change

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

He’s also 38....
    the weird thing is that Bowles takes after Parcells in that he prefers vets over younger guys. The issue with that is that Parcells would come in to turn teams around and wouldn’t stay around that long. Bowles presumably isn’t going anywhere and has to build this young team up otherwise he won’t have a job here.

NCJetsfan and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  16. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

There are two issues (maybe a third) in play here. 1) Bowles doesn't report into Mac and thus can't be told by Mac who to play 2) Bowles is coaching for his job and neither Hack nor Petty give him the best chance to be competitive and keep his job 3) Woody is enjoying tea and biscuits over in the UK.

Bowles doesn't care about "seeing what they have in Petty or Hack" or trying to "develop one of them", he's concerned solely about being back next year. Unlike Spock Bowles sees it as the needs of the one outweighing the needs of the many. That is reason enough to can him after the season ends imho.

Notice that nowhere did I mention Mac's thoughts on which QB to play, that's because they're irrelevant under the current pecking order. Another Woody debacle that needs to be corrected.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

edit... for those that say both he and Mac know Petty and Hack suck so they must play McCown.. McCown was never the assumed starter until Hack played himself out of the job in pre-season and Petty got hurt. McCown almost by default had to become the starter. He's played well enough to keep the others on the bench up until now. Anyone believing the talking head BS that this team will make the playoffs is fooling themselves. They will not make the playoffs and they still don't really know if Petty is a capable QB. I suspect they know Hack is a bust but they'll never admit it. The OL isn't great but has played well enough to stick Petty back there. "If" they get beat by Denver and their playoff pipe dream ends and they still play McCown then yes Bowles head should roll. I'll put in the caveat that should they play Petty the rest of the way while being competitive on D, maybe, just maybe Bowles will get a shot next year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Because Petty sucks.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

20. FJF

But the qb hasn’t been largely been the problem.Bowles preaches best players play. He is not going to break that to placate fans and beat reporters. And to think he hasn’t been developing the team for the future is just false. Young talent getting extensive play time all over the roster. Hack and petty got plenty of the preseason , when you evaluate players.
    Now , 3 years no postseason is a reason to fire them? Not sure because we better be prepared for at least another 2 years of missing if we are going the drafted qb route, then what? Yet another coach on the New York Jets proverbial 3rd year hot seat? Is that what we are aiming for? Browns fans will be shaking their heads at us

Walt White and 101GangGreen101 like this.