Three Year Point Deficit

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In the last three seasons the Jets are in 25th place in the NFL in point deficit totals. Every other team in the bottom ten has replaced their head coach; three teams have done it twice.

Stability.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson is now more concerned with politics, than running a successful NFL franchise. Can you see Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones going to the UK to be the US Ambassador? Hell no. Granted, I don't believe Jerry would qualify to be one, but if he did he would say no. He's got an NFL franchise to run! All the Jets are to Woody is a membership to the NFL club. If Woody Johnson doesn't want to commit to winning, then he needs to sell the team. I hope he considers it now that his political career is taking off. I know Dan Rooney was U.S. ambassador to Ireland from 2009-12, but that is different. The Steelers are a well run franchise from top to bottom. Woody has never had the Jets running that well for an extended period of time.

#2 playtowinthegame, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

They play hard for him

JetBlue and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we need a "bowles sucks ... just sucks..." thread so we can just make that an eventual cesspool

FJF likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and yet they stay in the bottom 10 even with replacing their coach so what's your point?

TonyFtLaud, Jeti and FJF like this.
  6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Kraft and Jones would (possibly) turn down amabassadorships only because it would prevent them from getting their big, bloated-ego faces on TV 20 times per game. And I don't agree that the Rooney situation is different. As for Woody, do you think f he was here, the team would be doing better?

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I just feel like he's not committed enough to the Jets winning. Keeping Bowles and Mac were he's too busy for the Jets moves.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

The point is they have taken definitive steps to turn their teams around. Check back in two years for results; if you give Bowles 4-5 years, you have to give the other teams two or three.

9. GasedAndConfused

and we didn't do the same with no results? how many coaches have we had since 2000? groh, mangini, herm, rex, bowles that's 5 head coaches in 17 years or just over 3 years per coach. how many times do we have to change coaches every 3 years for fans to realize shit don't work.

Arizona would love to get bowles back, there was rumors the jets could trade him if we didn't want to keep him. then take a look at what's avilable and how many positions there are open. who the hell are we going to get that we won't drop in the next 3 years like always. this franchise needs stability, some are just too short sighted to see it

10. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

You get stability by finding a good coach, not finding a retodd like Bowles and just keeping him for the sake of keeping him

Peebag, alleycat9 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Hard to really count Groh in your Math as he left on his own for UVA

So 16 years it is 4 coaches or average of 4 years.
    But in each case the time was right or past due to move on.

I have posted this several times on here, the great majority Super Bowl winning coaches do so within the first five years with the team they won it with unless it is multiple win with the same team.
    This includes many coaches who were in their second or third go round as HC.
    Look it up!

History proves if you do not win the big one by year 5 with a team you most likely will not.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

Or you can pull a jax and let coughlin walk after 3 years and he goes to win 2 SBs with the giants and then jax goes and gets him back lol ot the browns who fired bellichick and he wins 5 SBs.

If you are saying that most coaches do it in 5 years then bowles gets 2 more and you agree that we move on too early.

13. Section 336

The math is also off because you are counting Bowles years like he is gone already,

Well we haven’t moved on from Bowles, so you can’t say he is too early.
    Rex got 6.
    Herm got 5 and we didn’t fire him, we got compensation from KC because they wanted him so bad.

So the only coach the Jets fired in less than 5 years is Mangini in that time frame.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Section 336

Coughlin was in Jacksonville for 8 years,
    Perfect example of a coach did win within 5 years though with second team.

Belly did not go to HC coach the Pats from the Browns.
    He had stints in NE and NYJ under Parcells which probably helped him reflect and learn from his failure in Cleveland.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

so you agree then bowles gets 2 more years to make us a winner. good. no reason to continue this

16. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that the majority here don't see the extensions clearly.
    If the Jets make the play-offs next year, it was a good move.
    If they don't, they're both gone. Even if the Jets win 9 games, but fail to make the play-offs I can see them both getting canned, especially if the season ends like it did in '15.

They both got extensions to help with signing free-agents

Peebag likes this.
  17. Ralebird

It only takes one change to get the right guy; it hasn't worked here because the Jets organization has an odd idea of who the right guy is; the incumbent is a prime example of the "Same old Jets" philosophy.. You think Bowles is the right guy but have never been able to make a viable case supporting that opinion. You say Arizona wants him back but fail to support that or even tell us why they'd want a guy who has proven to be ineffective. Rumors aren't worth the pixels burnt to repeat them.

This franchise does not need the stability of another 5-11 season. This organization does not need to extend their time among the bottom ten teams in point differential. This team does not need the stability of continued pathetic clock management, poor game planning and abysmal results. This team needs progress and there is not a scintilla of evidence that Bowles is the guy to produce that.

It is actually stunning that you dispute every suggestion that Bowles has had his chance and failed with absolutely no reference to what you see he has done differently. Exactly what is it that leads you to believe that 2018, or 2019 or even 2023 will somehow be any different with him at the helm?

alleycat9 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

I never said bowles was the right guy, what i said was you need to give him a real chance to see if he is or not. You don't decide to go full rebuild in his 3rd season then fire him for not making the playoffs. that's what bad franchises do. To do a full rebuild you need at least 3 years if not 4-5 from the point of the rebuild with stability at the HC and GM positions. I'd say this team is in a much better spot then we were in 2017 and had a much better season despite the same record. I'm saying that both mac and bowles deserves at least the 2018 and 2019 seasons of this rebuild to see if we should keep them or not. A lot will depend on landing a FQB obviously but I want us to build a lasting dynasty, not have a good year here and there and that takes patience. 2017 was the 1st step of it. Fans lack patience and want instant gratification too often. Rome wasn't built in a day.

If you look at what bowles and mac have done is they came into a bad team in a bad franchise. They blew their load on older vets and took over a bad roster with the famous idzik 12 as the latest draft. They went all in for instant gratification and pulled out a 10-6 season which sadly didn't make the playoffs. then in 2016 the wheels fell off. for 2017 they cut all the dead weight , brought in younger players, and have made moves to make us a young and talented team. it was the full reset we should have started in 2015 but people were impatient. If we follow your idea of what to do that's what we will have over and over

19. Ralebird

I don't know who said he should be fired for not getting to the playoffs - it certainly wasn't me. I also don't see a team in a "full rebuild" mode; not when a head coach insists on playing a mediocre old quarterback and allowing the only current chances for rebuilding to wallow on the bench. It's only by accident that we've found out Petty does not represent that chance. I also don't see progress being made by the coach himself regardless of the skill and experience of the players. My complaints continue to be pathetic preparation and decision making combined with a coaching staff that simply is not equipped to manage an NFL football game.

After three years we still see problems with getting the right players on the field, getting the plays onto the field, with clock management, with a lack of adjustments as the game progresses. We still see a coach who does not know when to throw a pass, take a knee or punt and we see all this every week, not just occasionally. What we see is a man who is not qualified to hold the job he has today who shows no signs of improvement in three years and holds no promise to turn that around in years four, five, six or twelve. That's on him, not today's GM or the last one or the one before that, not on the roster and not on the owner, except for allowing the debacle to continue.

Leicester Jet and 94Abraham like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes..and in the meantime someone should pay for his course at the Stanley H Kaplan NFL HC prep..lol

GasedAndConfused likes this.