The plan for Sam Darnold moving forward...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Hopefully we can snag Connor Williams, Brian O'Neill, or Orlando Brown in the 3rd. Other than that it should be BPA OLB or TE. Then from rounds 4-7 should be straight OL.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I will try but my new job probably won't allow me to do that. We shall see come summer time.

3. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

A lot of people are saying play him when HE is ready.
    And if the rest of the offense is shit? You're gonna throw your rookie QB behind a garbage o-line? Put him out there with no offensive weapons?

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

He doesn't survive in the NFL and continue to receive playing opportunities like he has unless he's a consummate professional that teams find easy to work with. All accounts are that this is exactly the case.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

The rest of the offense isn't shit. He has enough around him from a weapon perspective. If he is ready you play him. You don't sit him because you think your OLINE is shit. That is nonsense. And is our OLINE amazing? No. Is it hot shit? No.

FJF, All Gas No Shake and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Bricket-head

As of last season you mean.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes sir. While his buds back home are eating tide pods, Sam will be the intellectual and spiritual leader of the NYJ, and NYC.

MeanGreenMachine88 likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Why not. You didn't draft a pure pocket passer you drafted a playmaker. Let him make plays.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The rest of the offense isn't shit. Anderson, Enunwa, Pryor, Kearse, Crowell, Powell are all above average players. I don't worry about him being behind a terrible OL because 1. the OL isn't the pure form of shit you make it out to be and 2. the kid thrives rolling out of the pocket. The only reason I wouldn't play him is if the coaches see something that needs heavy correcting before facing the pressure of an NFL defense. And that very well may happen with his footwork.

FJF and TurkJetFan like this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This is true, but we have a veteran QB who will be able to help Darnold. Doesn't have to be a greatest of all time for it to help.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The only way to get Sam reps with the #1 unit AND redshirt him is to install him as the backup to Josh McCown.

Once the season starts, starting QBs get around 90% of the practice snaps.

BU QBs get about 10%.

3rd/4th QBs get exactly zero.

The only way to protect AND grow Sam is to have him on the field against our starting D at least some every day.

12. TurkJetFan

What is your point?

13. TurkJetFan

+1

14. Bricket-head

My point is that teams regress. Units regress. What looked good last year might be shitty this year. All I'm saying is we shouldn't hang the kid out to dry.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hold On Guys ...WE DRAFTED SAM D NOT..Josh Rosen...OL Protection Makes allot more sense with him behind center

I banged the drum loudly for Sackenberg to get more playing time so Darnold can certainly handle it especially with his ability to move around.my Goodness at ROUND 1 your guy should be an IMPACT player capable of some starting time..not ALL season ..thats why Teddy/Joshy M aboard ..ease him in or throw him in ..SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Dont forget Toilet Bowles holds the cards on whether Sam plays or rides the bench..and I can almost predict the result

16. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Darnold has too much talent to sit for very long if at all

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is there a decoder ring associated with this post?

FJF likes this.
  18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I'm going to preface this saying im defintiely biased and this thread really is unfair with little based on substance... but of the 4 top QBs I had Darnold at #5. like id have taken jackson over him as well. yeah he has size and can throw and all that... but just so many football karma red flags for me to ignore:

1) we took him. that is almost as bad a jinx as if the browns had.

2) He went to USC. yea its coincidence other guys from there sucked and it probably doesnt matter but still he has USC bust stench on him and thats hard to cleanse

3) had a Meh year after a big freshman year. Hackenberg kinda stuff. concerning at the least. I dont like guys from big schools who decline.

4) he has a fat doughy punchable face and is kind of a red head. he is like a more punchable dalton.

I fear the kid is doomed to suck. fuck the browns for taking baker mayfield

19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

This is the pick you guys are so excited about?? Should have taken Rosen we wouldn't even be having this discussion

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if you cant handle being thrown to the wolves in a league that coddles quarterbacks and is geared towards helping the passing game then i dont want you as my QB.

This isnt 2 decades ago with david carr where the rules were different and he got shell shocked into oblivion. its glorfied arena flag football now.