The Optimistic Case for our OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by californiajet, May 1, 2018.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I was thinking. Agree 100%

LF911SC, FJF, BacktoQueens and 2 others like this.
  2. Big Cat

Also, Darnold’s pocket awareness is superb and one of the top reasons he was my QB1. I’m not worried about him behind what we currently have.

When the line is average, the QB makes or breaks it. Hackenberg would take 50 sacks behind this line because he’s oblivious and reluctant to move, Darnold is much more aware and navigates the pocket well so I think he will be fine.

playtowinthegame and xxedge72x like this.
  3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's too many variables for my taste. Even if all these are true, injuries still happen throughout the season. Hopefully the team has enough competent depth.

4. Big Cat

We definitely need to use next year’s cap space and a high pick on some long term answers but I don’t think it’s a disaster in the short term. It’s not a great unit, but also not one that’s so bad that it should prevent you from starting Darnold if you think he’s ready.

For example, if we had the Seahawks o-line I’d be hesitant to start Sam even if he looked like Rodgers in practice. We’re not at that level of bad in my opinion.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Hopefully they sign one good free agent and draft two guys early next year..... Like the Faneca effect a few years back

6. xxedge72x

I don't think the line is a disaster, there are no Adrian Clark's on this line. That said, no one will confuse this offensive line with the Cowboys 2 years ago, or others. Outside of QB, the offensive line is probably the next highest priority and we are not close to approaching great in that regard.

Big Cat likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That's a pretty fair take.
    Not a trainwreck by any means, but the best case scenario is an average unit.

If we get an injury or two, we may be in trouble again.
    The only depth player I like is Qvale. I hope they give Qvale a good look at both backup RT and G.

Big Cat likes this.
  8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Beningo asked Macagnan about this on the radio this afternoon. Mac said they had liked some offensive linemen, but they didnt have any players they liked fall to them at their picks and he didn’t want to “force” the pick. He reiterated that he addresses needs in free agency. He also mentioned how they will be looking at a ton of free cap next year to address further needs.

My guess is the plan is to have Bridgewater/McCown start this year and have Darnold sit on the bench. 2019 they will probably spend a lot on the offensive line. Hopefully they also use that 1st round pick to draft a pass rusher at OLB.

#28 Quinnenthebeast, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Harpua likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If the line turns out to be healthy during the season, Darnold could very well be playing. I do love our flexibility with the cap moving forward.

10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Great quarterbacks have a way of making an offensive line look good. They have great pocket awareness while making their progression reads. Don't get me wrong you need a good offensive line, but the great quarterbacks tend to cover up some of your flaws. I think Darnold will do just fine for a rookie.

11. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

you are absolutely smoking crack of you think a draft choice would not have made the team? Even eternally optimistic Ray Lucas and Willie Colin mentioned how the season turned so horrid once a single injury happened to Winters. How the team couldn't run to the right side at all late in the season. This is to say nothing about how challenged the starters were against any decent DL?

look , you can stroke those dimwits Mac and Blowes all you'd like. The fact is this OL will get shredded this season. The Jets will go 5-11 again due to a GM that has no timeline for rebuilding this season and a HC that sucks and gets outclassed each and every game. I wish Woody would shit canned those yard apes at least two years ago.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Winters sucks, hurt or otherwise. I couldn't believe the Jets gave him that deal. Even healthy, he's a C- guard.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We got lucky twice when Kendall and then faneca shaking loose when we were staring at the reality of playing a screen door at left guard
    We’re not there now, really just need an answer at lg after this season a center and a left tackle for the future. 1 good draft could anchor this line for years

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Winters and Carpenter both looked really good in a power blocking scheme.
    So of course we changed to zone :rolleyes:

15. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

I agree with your assessment except for 1 player. Iljalana. Colts(Peyton) hated him. Granted he was YOUNG when with the colts, but the little I HAVE seen him on the field for the Jets, he really isn't anything buy a turnstile at OT. Yes, he can play RT/LT, but he plays both of them poorly.
    This will be the last year for Carpenter. LG and OT help will be a big target in 2019 Free Agency.

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but its seemed like Winters was playing his best football before he got hurt last year.

17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Darnold is playing. The only question is when is he named the starter

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

How much could Peyton have hated him? He played 4 games with 0 starts.

19. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

reports were from practice... peyton told him to "get off the field"

20. xxedge72x

I agree with you in principle, but I think it is unfair to expect Darnold to be great immediately. There will be growing pains, and that is ok. The only thing that makes me nervous regarding him is that we give him David Carr syndrome by not adequately protecting him.

Honestly I'd be more concerned about this if it was Rosen rather than Darnold. Darnold is a good athlete with good pocket awareness and escapability. Still hoping Bates does everything in his power to ease Darnold's transition to the NFL game.