The Official 2007 Steelers Vs. Jets Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by SteelCurtain96, Jan 24, 2007.

1. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

Just want to get a jumpstart on our matchup for the 2007 season :)

There is a lot of optimism for the Steelers with their new head coach. Hopefully he can clean up the mental mistakes that derailed the Steelers from a possible title defense.

2. Long & Winding Rhode

Tomlin is runs the Cover 2. Do you think that this means that the Steelers will be transitioning away from the 3-4? If so, what changes to you want to see made?

3. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

LeBeau is staying, right? If so, I would imagine that they would stick with the 3-4. If the defense was complete crap, Tomlin should switch to whatever he wants to run, but considering their success prior to last year, it really would make no sense to make the switch.

4. SteelCurtain96

I posted in another thread that I don't see the Steelers jumping to the 4-3 this year. The telltale sign is that Tomlin kept Dick LeBeau as Defensive Coordinator. Why keep an innovator of the 3-4 Zone Blitz around unless you're gonna let him run his system?

I'm all for coaches using a system that showcases the talent their players have and not vice versa.

5. SteelCurtain96

And as I also stated..the Steelers need younger linebackers..Porter is way past his prime.

"Most feared player in the league"...my ass.

This system depends on the linebackers making plays. I really hope the Steelers spend an early Day 1 pick to get younger at that position and shore up the offensive line.

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I thought i saw somewhere today that Tomlin said he would stick with the 3-4. I think he's going to be a good coach, but only time will tell. If Big Ben plays poorly, the Jets can win this one.

7. SteelCurtain96

Considering the Raiders were able to beat the Steelers when Big Ben played poorly..I would hope a much better team like the Jets would do the same.

8. baamf

baamf Active Member

I didn't know they were keeping LeBeau, I'm a bit surprised but agree it's probably the right move at least for now. The 2007 Steelers will be an enigma until we get to see them on the field. Lot of changes in the coaching staff and a roster that needs an injection of some youthful talent. Should be interesting to watch...

9. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

This is the game hubby and I are going to this year. We both are excited about it. He's never seen the Steelers play (I got to see Jets/Ravens in Balt a few years back) so something we'll both enjoy. I told him he was sitting with the Jets fans and he said as long as he is "allowed" to wear his jersey. :lol:

I was hoping that Tomlin would change the D so we could pluck a few players. Yea, selfish of me I know.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Whats your opinion on Max Starks? I think he'd be a nice fit here as a runblocking right tackle, but I've seen mixed feelings about both the Steelers tackles, and I see he's a RFA.

11. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

dear pittsburgh,

please take back kimo...thank you

love,
    the jets

12. McCareins 81

McCareins 81 New Member

What jersey is he wearing?

13. SteelCurtain96

Starks is an enigma....I think he has a lot of talent..but doesn't get full use of it. (Honestly..that's why I am glad Grimm is not our new head coach..)

14. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

^Quoted for truth

15. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Maybe we can send Kimo in to take out one of Big Ben's knees.

Then bench him.

16. SteelCurtain96

You guys still think Kimo did that intentionally? I can assure you he didn't.

17. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

I had to laugh out loud at your Porter comment. He'll always be known to me as some one who got shot in the ass! :lol:

Here's some tidbits from KFFL that I thought might interest you.

Steelers | Zierlein could replace Grimm
    Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:40:04 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Buffalo Bills assistant offensive line coach Larry Zierlein could be a candidate to replace Russ Grimm, who left Tuesday, Jan. 23, to become the assistant head coach and offensive line coach with the Arizona Cardinals.

Steelers | Team talks with K. Anderson
    Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:33:54 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have spoken with Jacksonville Jaguars assistant coach Ken Anderson about becoming the team's quarterbacks coach.

Steelers | Defensive staff to remain next season
    Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:30:20 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is expected to retain all the defensive coaches from former head coach Bill Cowher's staff, who all have at least one year remaining on their contracts.

Steelers | Team expected to retain Daniel
    Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:26:41 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to retain tight ends coach James Daniel.

18. GreenMachine

Well, Cowher left him with a whopping 1.4 million dollars in cap space...good luck.

19. SteelCurtain96

Steelers will have some vets restructure. They always do. And I don't see them wanting a lot of players on the Free agent market this year anyways.

Tomlin is gonna wanna bring in some young players through the draft that are "his guys" to start making his mark.