The New Stadium: Thoughts

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by KHBirdman, Aug 17, 2010.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

You just reminded me of the time I went to Reliant Stadium four years ago to watch Rutgers in the Texas Bowl around the time plans and construction were beginning for this stadium. I kept thinking "wow, soon it'll be like this for us". There was an area inside that had a bar that I went to at halftime (without being in a club seat) and it was really nice - bright, clean. It even changed the way that I felt about retractable roofs. It was a night game, so when the roof is closed with the lights on you forget there's a roof. I was always a "football should be in the elements" kind of guy, but that was when tickets were $30.00. At these prices, you are investing in each game, and should have a comfort guarantee of some degree. I feel that way about baseball too - maybe more so. Drop $500 to $800 on 4 Yankee tickets, and even the Yanks can get their asses kicked in the cold rain by Cleveland. No thanks! For the Mets, an outcome like that is even more likely.

Back to Reliant Stadium. I left that place thinking "Four more years and we'll have a stadium like this too"Well, guess what? This stadium is not even close to it. The luxury aspects are beyond first rate and the players facilities must be as well. After that, it's a big FU.

2. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

wtf was that??? felt like i was on the Ultra Twister... i couldnt see shit and now my dizzy.... so a clock said 6:30 pm and the radio was on 1050am and all you saw was f&ckin blue

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

That's a video taken by Eli Manning on his way to the hospital Monday night.

4. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

That, in and of itself, is worth $1.7 billion.

5. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

And to think it's fucking NEW YORK and we couldn't get it right. Again, I have not been to the new stadium yet, but glad I didn't spend on season tix, let alone PSL for the stadium.

6. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

[​IMG]

7. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, but look at all you're missing out on. You could have bought the PSL and then watched the game in a room like this. Order hot dogs with no bun because you're on the South Beach Diet and your ass is getting too fat... impress Giants-fan friends with their red and blue shirts and their fancy little Indian fucking moccasins to come and swill Chivas Regal on the rocks and watch the game on TV because it's raining a little bit outside.

I mean, come on man. This is what football is all about. Look at all you are missing!

[​IMG]

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LOL - yeah, so true.

Hey, look at that carpet. Who chose that pattern? $1.7B Such a small table too, but the wall has three flat screens stacked on top of each other showing the same damn game image.

LOL I am surprised it's not gray like everything else.

9. Section 227. Row 5

[​IMG]

The game is on. You can clearly see what looks like Eli Manning on the TV screen live. And no one is even watching.

The two jack-offs standing up with their backs to the TV are talking about the housing market or mortgage interest rates or some such shit and the dorks sitting down are more interested in the crappy-looking food than anything else. The guy in the red shirt is probably the Giants-fan son of the moron in the blue shirt and he's stufing his face with a hot dog while watching his douche-bag girlfriend cut her hot dog with a knife and fork.

Honest to God, you cannot make this shit up. Nobody would believe it unless they saw it for themselves.

10. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

But who is the other guy on the couch?

Inquiring minds want to know..

11. Section 227. Row 5

[​IMG]

That's actually ROJF's BIL. The BIL wanted to see what the inside of the room looks like, so he bought a bag of potato chips and knocked on the door, posing as a food delivery man. They felt so sorry for him they offered him a meatball sandwich.

12. OSUBuckly

OSUBuckly New Member

These reactions are similar to what I heard about Citi Field last season. Basically people were saying that the building, while well designed, was too drab and the Mets didn't have enough of a presence. It took a year or so, but they actually listened to the fans and made some drastic improvements for this season. Hopefully the preseason games will give TPTB enough feedback to same similar improvements along the way.

And seriously...eating a bunless hot dog with a knife and fork? Good grief.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We have two teams sharing the building, do people really miss the red and blue of the old Stadium? They had to buold it w/ a neutral color and for the first time EVER walking into a Jets game the Stadium felt like home as it was green everywhere and it wasn't covering up and red or blue.

14. LogeSection2RowJ

HAHA, well that may have been the same guy complaining about Citi Field last year too. ME. ; ) The Wilpons were clueless in other ways. Citi Field would look great if they took all the billboards away, started over and just took some care planning where they were placed, with rules about the shape and color of the advertising signs. But no, they are money whores. The two scoreboards there are hidden within the advertising. When I've been there, I don't know where to look for info, and seldom do because of the advertising. Last year they had that Xerox banner go across the fence at the corner in Right Center and it looked hideous. They moved it over a little and it is better now that it doesn't go around a corner. That Mo's Zone area looks like crap. No one can tell it is a unique feature because of the graphics. They added the Mets Hall of Fame (Nice!) got rid of the stupid shape of center field wall that covered the magic hat, and added some more images inside which were lacking. There is still no Mets logo in sight when you look out to the outfield scoreboards and food areas. No Mets logos!

I hope the Jets do the same by making adjustments but those are minor details. Yankee Stadium also has plenty of ads, but it has a cleaner, somewhat understated look and they spent the money on that massive replay board. It's beautiful, and is a bonus for all fans inside the place.

In this case, the money grab for sponsorship of the gates, ads on the replays being shown, just about everything is fine with me (or at least tolerable) so long as you also take care of the fans, (seated on all levels) and show that your own pride comes before added advertising dollars. They're getting plenty as it is. Wait 'til the naming rights deal.

Let's face, the place just doesn't look that great for what was spent on it. Inside the concourses it's not just bland, it almost looks unfinished and I don't mean the grey paint - they had no choice with that. The lighting in the concourses isn't great. The design is just odd with the gaping spaces at each end. Why is it open there? When you get a chance to torture yourself on the ramps, they're not even a smooth incline. They're sort of "wavy" and they zig zag out so wide they ought to host a race or something, as they do on the Empire State building stairs. The trip from ground to 300 level feels like 2 miles. I would trade the four corner scoreboards for two bigger ones - centered at both end zones. (Yeah, that's a nitpick) I was in Pittsburgh (Philly too) for games and they show replays and play inspiring entrance videos for when the team runs out, etc etc to pump everyone up and at no time are there Verizon or Toyota stripes in the video image on the sides. It's tacky, it looks like shit, and it just shouldn't be there. They are wealthy enough with this place.

Both teams have leapt to the top of the wealthiest sports franchises in the world now, and it is because of this stadium deal and how we are paying for their chance to become richer. I understand that is corporate America and if our team has money it'll pay off in other ways (we pray) but this place could be a LOT better if it has one less level of suites and had more aesthetics. I mean, even without a retractable roof they couldn't design the light structures up top to be a solid structure to provide a couple rows of shelter? No. Instead the raw beams will drip water on everyone up there. The 1.7 Bil was spent on wood paneling and sushi chefs, and as I've sen here today, at least four flat screens in every suite showing the same image. WTF?

Whew, that felt good!

15. cuty suzuki

cuty suzuki Member

What good are four big scoreboards when half of them were showing stupid fantasy stats instead of replays?

16. porkman

porkman New Member

parking was easy to get in and out.
    waited for the train to show up as to walk in with the most people showing up and they did a great job getting everyone in fast . i talked to a suit and he said noone should have to wait more than 4 minutes to get in.

escalators sucked especially if youre in the 300's, not enough bathrooms upstairs as i had to walk almost 30 yards to nearest bathroom.

not enough quality beer stands, only shitty bud/coors lights stands everywhere
    hard to see #'s from the lower rows of the upper deck

concrete jungle.
    totally unimpressed
    give new stadium a C+

17. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

WTF? Urinal Love??

18. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

I went there for the open practice and thought it was good so I dont know why there are so many complaints.

19. LogeSection2RowJ

Did you sit in the 3rd tier?

20. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

to be honest I did not go up there, was on the 2nd tier.