The myth of Jets QB's and winning a Super Bowl

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017.

1. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

The well worn path of this argument: "The Jets have been searching for a quarterback to lead them back to the Super Bowl since Joe Namath."

Reality responds by saying; 'Bullshit."

The fact is that the Jets have had a few quarterbacks since the days of Broadway Joe that were perfectly capable of leading this team into another title game scenario.

I offer up these names; Ken O'Brien, Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, and yes, even Mark Sanchez at one time.

I have always felt that if O'Brien, for instance, had played on a team like the 49ERS during his prime years, San Francisco and O'Brien would have won a Super Bowl(s).

Pennington was an excellent quarterback, Testaverde almost got there, and Sanchez was on the doorstep twice.

It wasn't necessarily any of those QB's singular fault that the Jets never reached the pinnacle as they did under Namath, rather, it was a collection of other factors from an overall team-wide point of view that prevented the Jets from going farther.

The predictable cliche' that the Jets have never had a QB capable of leading the franchise back to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1969 is pure horseshit.

#1 FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Can't wait for Champ to wake up....

NYJetsO12, FJF and FanSinceBIGShea like this.
  3. FanSinceBIGShea

WTF is Champ? Bring it on, Champster. Bert knows quarterback's...baby.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You don't know what you're getting into man. But since you asked, I'll summon him. @championjets69 do your worst.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Indeed.. Champ is the darkest of the TGG darkside contingent. He is Darth Vader incarnate. He is... championjets69.. (clouds gathering, thunder in distance..)

NYJetsO12, joe, NY Jets68 and 4 others like this.
  6. FanSinceBIGShea

Duly noted, Champ sounds like a brain surgeon. Hey Champ...won't you please give love a chance?

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would say we haven't had a legit franchise QB since KOB. We've had short moments where we thought we had the next one then Pennington shoulder went to shreds and then Sanchez fell off a cliff.

However long it's been doesn't matter as we desperately need one now.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

O'Brien would have done really well on a team with a dominant O-line like the Dolphins or the Redskins, or at least a really good O-line, like the Bengals, Steelers, 49ers, or Vikings. Maybe the Raiders--they had a nice mix of decent linemen and quality recievers.

When people bitch about the Jets taking O'Brien, two things always come to mind: 1) Todd Blackledge, 2) If things had been reversed, and the Jets took Marino and the Dolphins took O'Brien, the Jets would have had great shots at the Superbowl in '85, '86, and '87, until the terrible O-line got Danny killed, and O'Brien would have been a borderline HOFer with the Miami line giving him more time, but never having anyone to throw to.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Just here waiting on champ

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

U posts are 0-25 in bringing VLT to NYJ :mad:

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

We've had some good QBs since Namath, but never a franchise QB. Our success under O'Brien, Vinnie, Pennington, Sanchez(?) depended upon the strength of the overall team, our coaching, and it was brief and fleeting because our QBs were never good enough to dominate an important game. We've never enjoyed a prolonged stretch of competitiveness like you see from teams with franchise QBs.

A franchise QB gives the luxury of having a competitive team every single year. Guys like Rodgers, Montana, Manning, Favre, Ryan, Ben, and Brady give you insurance that with a few pieces and some luck, you can make a deep playoff run. Sure they have down years, but they tend to bounce back almost immediately and give you hope for the next season. Right now, we are hopeless.

I think there is a good chance we see as many as 5 QBs play for the Jets this year due to injuries and general incompetence. I would love for Petty or Hack to step up and surprise me (I don't care what Hoyer does because he has no long term value), but from everything I've seen, heard, and read, it's going to be an ugly season from the position. The good news is that next year's QBs look REALLY fricken good, and I have hope that if we land the right guy, we can build a competitive team around him for years to come.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Exactly! What the OP fails to realize is that, sure, if the stars are all aligned properly almost any QB can win a super bowl, but that rarely happens. The most successful SB winning franchises have one thing in common and that is a consistent pattern of winning football and playoff appearances. For that you need a FQB that wins year after year. O'Brien, Pennington, Sanchez, etc. all fell short in that department. It's not the only thing, but it's the most important factor.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

O'Brien was good enough to get the Jets to the promised land. Chad Pennington was smart enough, but didn't have the arm. Testaverde. ROFLMAO Maybe if Parcells had stayed or had come to the Jets 2-3 years earlier and had gotten Testaverde earlier. He got the best out of Vinny the Ninny, but otherwise, Testaverde sucked. Sanchez ROFLMAO two times over. SMH

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Chad had the arm until the Bills fucked up his shoulder. Damn he was so good before he got hurt.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right. He had enough arm at Marshall, but it's hard for me to remember that Chad. If Chad had been the QB we took in 2009 instead of Sanchez, I definitely think we would have gotten to, if not won a SB or two with that OL to protect him.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As a freshman Chad had the greatest receiver of all time to throw too. Imagine coming out of high school and there's Randy Moss waiting for you for a season just before he heads to the NFL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Pennington was a franchise QB. He was that good. Just not durable enough.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  18. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Jerry Rice says "Hey. Wha' sup?"

tiger8mush and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Lance Alworth, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Don Hutson, Steve Largent, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Issac Bruce, and Raymond Berry are all going to be waiting on Br4d's front porch with tire irons this evening...

Moss was amazing. Top 15 all time, for certain.

Still, it's Jerry Rice and 14 other guys.

tiger8mush and LarryAlRalph like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And not One jet in the mix... f'n sad..

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.