The Mock Season You've All Been Dreaming Of!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jasonjets, Feb 19, 2007.

1. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

DRAFT:

Round 1: Quentin Moses | OLB | Georgia - He would be a huge steal here. He had a bad senior season but he definitely has the skill of being a top 15 pick. With his size he was overmatched at DE, but as a 3-4 OLB, he has the perfect size and speed (6-5, 260, 4.65); a wonderful pass rusher; he should be perfect for us.

Round 2: Chris Houston | CB | Arkansas - A great athlete who is quickly moving up the draft board. He has great size (5-11, 190, 4.40) and has proven to be NFL ready. He could step in right away and provide us with a #2 cornerback much better than Barrett or Justin Miller. Will be a very valuable #1 or 2 CB in this league for years, he has all the intangibles you would want in a CB; had he stayed for his Senior year, he could have been a top 20 pick.

Round 2: Craig Davis | WR | LSU - A big fast WR (6-2, 210, 4.45) with great hands. He should be able to fill in the slot for us this year and could be either a downfield threat or a 3rd down reciever; he is very versatile. Is very raw but definitely has the skill to be an absolutely amazing WR in the future; could be a star.

Round 3: Ryan McBean | DE | Oklahoma St. - This kid is meant to be a 3-4 DE (6-5, 290, 5.10) He has the perfect size and athletic ability for the position. A very good run stuffer, athletic and holds his ground. Has a ton of potential, but never really produced in college. Could shine in the pros if put in the right system though. Will need a year or two to learn the system and to get some more experience, since he is very raw, but could come in for Shaun Ellis in 2-3 years.

Round 5: Dane Uperesa | OT | Hawaii - Would not start right away, needs some tuteledge but has a lot of potential. He is huge, and a great run blocker, but agile (6-5, 330, 5.35). His run blocking abilities are just what we are looking for. We could re-sign Clement, let this kid learn from him a bit and then he could step in, in 2 years.

Round 6: Le'Ron McClain | FB | Alabama - This whole board loves him, and so do I. He seems to be the perfect FB for our system as he is a great run blocker and a very good reciever out of the backfield too. Would fit perfectly in our system. (6-1, 260, 4.95)

Round 7: Tyrone Moss | RB | Miami (FL) - Has had injury problems throughout his whole college career, but is definitely a talented RB. He is huge, (5-9, 232, 4.55) but not JUST bruiser, as he does have some speed. His injuries will cause him to drop far down the draft board but if he can put it together he could be a wonderful running back. The perfect bruiser to go along with Washington. Although he may fail in the NFL because of his injury problem, it is a 7th round pick, so it is OK to gamble a bit.

FREE AGENCY:

OG Derrick Dockery (Washington) - We need a run blocking guard, and this guy is it. He is a superb run blocker and a big guy, yet decievingly athletic. Perfect guy to fill up our right side void. Led the way for Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts the past few seasons - enough said.

DE Kenyon Coleman (Dallas) - Ran the 3-4 in Dallas, and was superb. A great 3-4 DE at 6-5 295. He is a great run stuffer and led the way for DeMarcus Ware in Dallas. Hopefully he can help turn Bryan Thomas into that kind of rusher too.

TE Daniel Graham (New England)
    - We steal a valuable piece from New England, and get a good player in return, what better? Graham is a talented TE who is an above average reciever and blocker. He should be perfect in our 2-TE sets and will be a great compliment to Chris Baker.

ILB Matt Wilhelm (San Diego) - An experienced 3-4 ILB I think would help immensley for our team full of players who have never played there before, or only last year. You can never have enough LBs in a 3-4, and he would be a wonderful fill in if Hobson or Vilma do poorly or go down.

OG Sean Mahan (Tampa Bay) - A good run blocking LG. Although we already have Kendall, he is getting older, and there are definitely signs of him wearning down and getting worese. Mahan would be able to compete for a starting job, or at worst back up Kendall for a year or two, and then step in and start. He is only 26, so he is still young and he has tons of room to improve.

LET GO/RE-SIGN:

FB B.J. Askew (LET GO)
    DE Dave Ball (RE - SIGN)
    OT Anthony Clement (RE - SIGN)
    WR Jerricho Cotchery (RE - SIGN)
    FB James Hodgins (LET GO)
    DT Rashad Moore (LET GO)
    CB Hank Poteat (RE - SIGN)
    LB Ryan Riddle (LET GO)
    TE Sean Ryan (LET GO)
    OL Wade Smith (RE - SIGN)
    LB Cody Spencer (LET GO)

CUT:

CB David Barrett
    WR Justin McCariens
    RB Kevin Barlow
    RB Derrick Blaylock
    DE Kimo Von Oelhoffen
    OT Adrian Jones

2007/2008 NEW YORK JETS ROSTER

--- OFFENSE ---

Quarterback:

Chad Pennington

Kellen Clemens

Patrick Ramsey

Runningback:

Leon Washington

Cedric Houston

Tyrone Moss

Fullback:

Le'Ron McClain

Jason Pociask

Wide Reciever One:

Laveranues Coles

Craig Davis

Tim Dwight

Wide Reciever Two:

Jerricho Cotchery

Brad Smith

Tight End:

Chris Baker

Daniel Graham

James Dearth

Left Tackle:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Wade Smith

Left Guard:

Pete Kendall

Sean Mahan

Center:

Nick Mangold

Trey Teague

Right Guard:

Derrick Dockery

Brandon Moore

Right Tackle:

Anthony Clement

Dane Uperesa

--- DEFENSE ---

Right Defensive End:

Kenyon Coleman

Ryan McBean

Dave Ball

Defensive / Nose Tackle:

Dewayne Robertson

Sione Pouha

C.J. Mosley

Left Defensive End:

Shaun Ellis

Bobby Hamilton

Right Outside Linebacker:

Bryan Thomas

Matt Chatham

Right Inside Linebacker:

Jonathan Vilma

Anthony Schlegel

Left Inside Linebacker:

Victor Hobson

Matt Wilhelm

Brad Kassell

Left Outside Linebacker:

Quentin Moses

Eric Barton

Cornerback One:

Andre Dyson

Justin Miller

Drew Coleman

Cornerback Two:

Chris Houston

Hank Poteat

Free Safety:

Kerry Rhodes

Rashad Washington

Strong Safety:

Erik Coleman

Eric Smith

--- SPECIAL TEAMS ---

Kicker:

Mike Nugent

Punter:

Ben Graham

Kick Off / Punt Returners:

Justin Miller

Leon Washington

#1 jasonjets, Feb 19, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I like the mock, but there are a few players who I don't like from what I've read or seen.

1. Daymeion Hughes. First, he is not 6'2", he is 5'10". I have read that he is primarily a cover-2 corner and does not do very well in man coverage. We need CBs who excel in man coverage. Maybe Chris Houston or Josh Wilson in this spot?

2. Jerremy Stevens. While he is a dynamic pass catcher, I don't like that he is a sub-par blocker. Also, he unfortunatley often has a case of the dropsies. If we go after a FA TE, and I would like us to, I think we should go after Daniel Graham as he is much more well rounded and knows the division. I actually don't think that the money will be that different between these two players, maybe 1 mil a year. 2 mil tops.

3. Derrick Dockery. Although he does have good size and is somewhat athletic, I don't think he is the type of player that Mangini is looking for. I think we want players closer to 300-310 lbs who can get out and move on screens and sweeps. Also, I don't really think we should be going after a FA guard this offseason. I think we will either draft one or will go with what we have, including our current practice squad players.

Other than that I really like your mock, especially the Moses, Davis, McBean, and McClain picks.

#2 JetsFan7817, Feb 19, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  3. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

we need to do something more than to use a 7th round pick to address the rb position.

4. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

The RB position will most likely not be addressed this season. It will either be Michael Turner or nobody. We are improving the O-Line, which will help a lot, and if Leon can get starter minutes, I think he could put up over 1,000 yards definitely. The draft is not very deep in RB's this year, however next year it is. I think next year is the time to spend our 1st rounder on a RB, as for this year, we just build up the line and see what Leon has got until next year when we can decide to keep Leon as #1 or bring in another rookie RB behind a powerful offensive line.

5. biggundewayne63

the fact that the FO is even thinking about bringing in turner should tell you they are already sure leon is not a feature but infact a 3rd down back. to me rb is not a position you just wait a year to solidify.

6. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

But the problem is Turner is really the only solution. There is nobody else better than Washington available other than Turner. In the draft, unless Marshawn Lynch falls to us, getting someone like Michael Bush would not be an upgrade over Washington, so there would be no point to waste a pick on a RB. I think just the fact that our offensive line will be improving so much will help Leon.

7. biggundewayne63

so according to you leon washington would be the 2nd running back taken in this draft. gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

I would love that offseason, even if its Turner-less. Can't build Rome in a day, but that would be another HUGE offseason step in the right direction.

If that draft unfolded that way, I'd be one happy Jet fan.

9. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

1. Daymeion Hughes is 6-2, or atleast from the reports I have seen. Would someone like Marcus McCauley or Chris Houston be a smarter pick here?

2. I dont think we necessarily need to spend the extra bucks to get someone like Graham. Graham basically has the same recieving abilities, maybe worse, than Stevens. Graham is a much better blocker though, which is why he will get more bucks. But the thing is we don't need a blocker here. For most 2-TE set plays, the TE's are going out for a pass, rarely do they block. All we need is a pass catching TE, not a run blocking TE, which is why I think it would be smarter to go after someone like Stevens and save some money.

3. I think we HAVE to go after a guard or tackle this off-season. This free agent class is filled with tons of talented offensive lineman and we have 28 million bucks to spend, this is somewhere we have to spend on. We need help with our run blocking now, and I think getting a veteran rather than a rookie to start would be much more beneficial to our team. And, I do not know for sure about that Mangini wanting smaller guys thing, so no comment on that.

10. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I do think Leon in his 2nd year is better than a rookie like Michael Bush or Kenny Irons right now.

11. biggundewayne63

i disagree once again. rb's historically get off to pretty fast starts and do not take long to develop.

12. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

ok, we obviously disagree, but I just think we have more important needs that we can fill than replacing Leon for 1 year.

13. biggundewayne63

no need to replace him. i think some people on this board just dont know his role which is 3rd down/backup/pass catchin back. he will be a valuable piece of the franchise for years to come but he is just not an everydown back in my mind. i hope you are right and he runs for 1500 next year but to me its just unrealistic.

14. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I never, ever said he would run for 1500 next year. But I do believe behind on a stronger line he could run for 1000 or more getting starters minutes. Again, one step at a time, we cannot tackle everything in one off-season and as long as he cna hold the fort for this year, next year we can draft or sign a better RB, and use Washington as the role he is meant for, which is exactly how you describe him - a 3rd down/backup/pass catching back

#14 jasonjets, Feb 19, 2007
  15. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

why would we use a 7th rounder on a RB that likely won't even make the team, we already have 3 mediocre RBs, why get another one?

16. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

very nice job jasonjets! i agree with everything, including your thought on the rb situation. but if we did grab one late, id prefer a more powerful back. maybe moss or ilaoa. great mock though.

17. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/weighin.html

Those are the measurements from the senior bowl. I'm not a big McCauley fan, but I do like Houston and Wilson. They will both light it up at the combine, and Houston may be gone before 37 if he does what I think he can do.

If we don't go OL or DL in the 1st, I'd rather go OL or DL here. Grubbs, Blalock, Sears, Harrell, or even possibly Mebane would all be nice additions.

I think that we actually DO need a better blocker. Baker is adequate, but Sean Ryan saw the field WAY too much, primarily because he is such a good blocker. I believe that a 2 TE set with Graham and Baker would be equally proficient at passing and running, and therefore would present matchup problems on almost every play.

Is it true that teams usually pass out of 2-TE sets? I would think that they run more.

I would disagree that the FA class is 'filled with tons of talented offensive lineman.' There are not many OT's available, and while there are 3 nice OG's, I think most of them will be overpaid because so many teams have so much money. We are not the only team with 20+ million to throw around. We do have ~28 million to spend, but that doesn't mean we should spend it just to spend it. We have to pay Cotchery, Vilma, Rhodes, and Hobson over the next 2-3 years, and I'd like to have flexibility around those core players.

Also, to appease these RB people, I'm not averse to going after a stop-gap RB, like Musa Smith.

#17 JetsFan7817, Feb 19, 2007
  18. boomer

boomer Active Member

You seem to have put a lot of thought into this Jason, thanks for posting. I'll have no problem if it turns out that way for us.

#18 boomer, Feb 19, 2007
  19. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Jeremy Stevens is the worst starting tight end in the league. Hes not even a good pass catcher. I couldnt believe how many passes he dropped. Bad hands, plays incredibly soft, and is a dick. That kid is a super 1st rd bust

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I like it. I don't know about the Jeremy Stevens signing, but I like the rest of it. It's nice that we don't acquire a RB. Watch Leon Washington and or Cedric Houston break out behind offensive line, which gets slightly upgraded with Dockery and a blocking FB.

And don't even bother wasting cap money on Matt Wilhlem. We have enough at ILB.

Very few complaints here... Nice job. :up: