The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

By doing what, exactly?

He's the best player on this team and he's the most important piece of Rex Ryan's defense. You think Ryan is going to be willing to deactivate him?

And didn't the NFL rule that they cannot deactivate a player for an extended period of time over non-criminal behavioral issues after the TO debacle in Philly?

2. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Sounds like wishful thinking from a Patsies or fish fan. :rolleyes:

3. ForTheWin

ForTheWin New Member

Watch him show up at 5:29..

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

That is what I meant. Aso's contract was (at the time and arguably now) completely out of line with the rest of the league.
    Take out that mega contract and Revis/agents is now asking $______, damn sure it would be less.

5. CatoTheElder

...until he knocks down a Tom Brady pass. Don't try and make NY sports fans out to be anything more than other teams. Our lack of patience for underperforming players cuts the same as our short-term-memory problems when it comes to assholes performing well(I'm not calling Revis an asshole so don't even try to bring that one up).

Revis is a character guy. Just because he is upset over money does not change that. Up until this point he was working on the practice field, in the film room, and with Cro and K-Dub. He's done nothing but be a team player until this point and after seeing one of his teammates go down with a massive leg injury that ruined his chance at a big contract, it's perfectly reasonable that he would be pissed off at not getting a contract with satisfactory guarantees against injury.

All the bullshit that is happening right now will be forgotten by the fanbase come game day. Hell, I'm willing to believe that most of the hate disappears once there's youtube footage of him snagging an INT in Cortland.

6. ........

........ Trolls

That's an excellent point.

I'm not talking about what's reasonable here. I'm talking about the older Jets fans who are frequently unbelievably bitter and jaded. Playing up his commitment to the team when he returns goes a long way with those types, and we certainly have more of them than a lot of teams. I'm talking about appeasing them immediately, not waiting until Week 2 of the regular season. The general retarded sports fans will forget about it as soon as he signs.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Cato - you're being dishonest by pointing to that $1 million figure. You know better. Look at the average yearly figure for his deal and take into account the fact that he held out for a larger pay check than his draft position should have received.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

No knock on Revis or Aso but lets look at this from the Jets perspective...

The Raiders in the last few years have

A) Gave Randy Moss away for practically nothing
    B) Traded away a 1st round pick for an aging underproducing Richard Seymour
    C) Made Sebastian Janikowski the highest paid kicker in the NFL (16 million over 4 years)
    D) Made Shane Lechler the highest paid punter in the NFL (12 million over 3 years)
    E) Made Aso the highest paid CB ever with an insane contract

9. IATA

IATA Trolls

In defense of Oakland, when you are as bad as them, you want a premier punter.

10. CatoTheElder

Not sure where I can find an example of anything that sounds like that...
    How is that being dishonest? Coming off the best season of his career he's expected to take a massive pay cut?

As for him holding out as a rookie:
    1)He was right to do it. He's been nothing but a beast since he put on the uniform and he's earned every penny. He's taking a huge paycut between last season and this one, with very little money guaranteed against injury right now.

2) You're not doing your homework because the major point of contention for his holdout was over the contract length and not his dollar value. He wanted a 4 year deal that would let him hit free agency sooner than the 5 to 6 year deal that Mangini and Tannenbaum were trying to lock him down for. Try again.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

Because he's in the down year of a big contract, he's not "taking a pay cut". This is what he agreed to in a contract he HELD OUT for.
    8/15/2007: Signed a six-year, $30 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including $16 million in the first four years. Another $6 million is available through incentives.

His contract was much higher than his draft position should have received. That was part of the hold out. Other GM's were not happy about Tanny giving him as much as he did. Maybe you should do your own homework.

I think he should get paid, and get paid well, but let's keep things real here. Talking about he's only making $1 million this season in a vacuum without referencing the rest of his contract is bullshit.

12. CatoTheElder

...which was what went into the deal to appease Revis about the term length. Just because you're ignoring the fact that the length of the deal was the biggest part of the holdout doesn't make it any less meaningless.

And only getting $1million this season based off his his performance thus far is not talking in a vacuum. Revis has outperformed 2 out of 3 years of the deal, the one being his rookie season where he played as well as could be expected.

2007: $5,319,000
    2008: $ 2,670,000
    2009: $ 6,260,000

Which one of those was too much to warrant a drop to $1million as equal value?

#112 CatoTheElder, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  13. WhiteShoeWillis

Where have I said the length of the deal being part of the hold out is meaningless? It doesn't matter. He held out for a deal that paid him more than he should have got for his draft position which drew criticism from other NFL GM's. He signed the deal that had him being paid much better over the past few years than he would have been had he signed a normal deal. When he signed that deal it said 2010 $1,000,000.

It is not a pay cut. It's all part of the deal he signed and he's received more than he would have if he hadn't been overpaid for his rookie deal.

Has he outperformed that contract? Hell yes. Does he deserve a new one? You bet. Should he get a deal better than Aso? No way in hell.

The Jets are willing to give him what they consider a "reasonable deal". I don't know exactly what that means but I'm sure it's less than the crazy contract the Raiders gave out.

Saying he's only making $1 million in 2010 without discussing the entire contract is retarded.

14. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

As great a CB as Revis is , is he worth Manning / Brady money ..simple answer is no.

Davis gave Aso a ridiculous contract and everyone outside of that senile fuckwit realises it, seemingly except Revis. Whom is on record as wanting 1c more.

Tanny obviously wants him but also the CBA affects things massively and giving him 25-35 million in signing bonus to get a deal done is just crazy money for a CB.

15. CatoTheElder

How about the fact that the entire contract was written so it could be reworked right around now? The Jets are stumbling because of Leon and the CBA is making things more difficult, I can acknowledge that. However, it's pretty clear that he wasn't supposed to be under this deal by this point and this contract is not paying him what he is worth, previous years included with this one.

He should be getting a pay bump, he shouldn't be playing THIS SEASON for $1million. He shouldn't be playing under his old contract. That's the point.

16. CatoTheElder

You realize that "Manning/Brady money" is about to become a lot more than what it was, right?

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The media is going to treat him holding out one day one like a season ending injury. Oh well, first day of camp and I am ready boycotting the newspapers and sports radio. I am glad he's holding out so he forces the Jets to do something instead of this dragging on. Within 5-7 days, this should be over and forgotten

18. CatoTheElder

Did you really think your rational, level-headed opinion would be appreciated here?

19. WhiteShoeWillis

The Jets protected themselves well with this deal. I don't know if Tanny had the foresight of the CBA issues teams are dealing with right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

If Revis were willing to accept a deal structured within the bounds of the restrictions, like D'Brick did, he wouldn't be playing for $1 M this year. Unfortunately it seems like he's unwilling to do that.

Maybe they can move money around from the final 2 buyback years to keep him happy for this season and work on a better deal when the CBA is in place. If not, he will make what his contract is scheduled for or hold out, get fined and lose a year of eligibility.

I think his team is being unreasonable.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

He's not going to force the Jets to do anything. If he's willing to be more reasonable the Jets will do something. If not, he'll be in camp on August 10th and play out his current deal until a new one is reached.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.