The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Is this world real or is it all a game..............

Anyway lets hope he signs whatever deal and we can get focussed on superbowl 2011!

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No but logic dictates it had to have been structured like D'Bricks contract, and that is what Revis scoffed at. Unfortunately, the current CBA situation doesn't really leave Tanny with many options.

I'm puzzled by the way the Revis camp is handling this situation as they have to know about the restrictions in place. They also have to know the Jets hold all the cards. Their must be something we don't know about. Either that or his agent is just a knuckle head.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't get it. Didn't the Jets reportedly offer him $10 million a year and he laughed it off? Now he's considering a $30 mil deal over 3 seasons?

4. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

im getting really tired of this bullshit. sure pay the man but i am on the side of the jets if he is asking for over 16 mil a year. i know we dont know the full details and all that but there comes a point where enough is enough. The man is getting paid millions to play football. he will see more money in one season then the average american will see their entire life.

and i dont want to hear the excuse of he is risking serious injury and all that stuff, which is true but there are ppl out there working jobs who put themselves in harms way and can lose there life any time, like our police and firefighters who will never see the kind of money revis already has.

again i am not trying to bash revis, pay the man, i believe 12-13 a year is a fair deal. we dont know the details and whats going on behind the scenes but i think players need to wake up, step back and see how great they actually have it and humble up a little bit. just my 2 cents.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Maybe he's been hanging out with Puffy/Diddy/whatever. You know what happens then....

[​IMG]

6. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

I disagree about them holding all the cards

As I've said before...You can throw super bowl out the window without Revis

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Do you really know what they offered him? We know they were willing to pay him a contract worth $100million but looking at Brick's deal, I'm wondering how many ST plays he would have to be on the field for(like Brick), how many FGs he would have to block(like Brick) and how much money disappears if he gets injured(like Brick).

No.
    And all the fans need to realize that every top CB is going to be gunning for a contract like that when their deals are up. This is a major battle between labor and management that we are witnessing.

This isn't just one isolated contract negotiation. There is far more at stake than just when Revis gets into training camp. The negotiations for this deal is going to set the bar for contracts for years.

We don't know anything about what he was offered so stop saying that the Jets offered him a fair deal when you don't know the details. There are literally hundreds of loop holes and escape clauses in those for teams to avoid paying.

Do we remember Brick's deal? Nothing guaranteed against injury. That's absolutely ridiculous in this sport. I'm surprised Brick actually put his signature on that. How fucking happy would any of you be about renewing a contract at a job with a massive risk of injury where they took away your health benefits?
    The only thing we've seen is that the Jets were willing to offer him a contract worth $100mil. There were no details for the terms of length that I saw and there was no actual detail as to the guaranteed money.

EDIT: Written before reading about the $30million/3 year deal they are supposedly working on.

#67 CatoTheElder, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Here's what happens if he holds out:

• $16,000 daily fine
    • Loss of guaranteed money for the last 2 years of his deal
    • Loss of a year of eligibility

Now tell me, what is in it for Revis by holding out?

9. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

A trade to a team that will pay him what he wants

or

the jets realizing they have to pay him what he wants

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He has to miss 7 weeks for that to happen. He'll be in for TC.

They're working on a new short-term deal now, so clearly he has some leverage to get them to talk.

11. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

Typical Revis. Not surprised. Well, at least he signed one deal in the last 30 days...one with WME to act and a development deal for his own reality show. LMAO! What a joke.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

yea it's not like he's under contract for this year and two years after that :rolleyes:

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

If he stays away for a week to 10 days and we eventually come to an agreement, no bi deal. In fact as stated about, it will give Wilson a chance to get more reps

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

He has until 5:30 until it's considered a holdout.
    I'm sure they're hashing out some kind of stopgap deal as we type.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Fixed your post.

16. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

LOL.....you can "fix" my posts via your kindergarten attempt at humor all day, but just because you don't like my opinion about him being a joke.... the facts are still the facts. I stated months ago that he...along w/ his ego & "mgmt" was gonna be a problem. This is just the beginning. He's delusional, as are his demands.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Stop making so many mistakes. I'm tired of fixing your posts.

Revis is the best corner in the game - stop posting.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Here is the latest on Twitter about Revis

ORTLAND, N.Y. -- Darrelle Revis truly is an island.

His team, the New York Jets, reported Sunday to begin what could be the most anticipated training camp in recent memory, but the All-Pro cornerback was on his own, apparently holding out because he's upset with his contract.

Jets blog

Jets Looking for more information on the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

The Jets confirmed that Revis did not participate in the morning conditioning run at the team's facility in Florham Park, N.J. -- a strong indication that he will be a no-show. He will be considered an official holdout if he doesn't show for a 5:30 p.m. team meeting in Cortland.

Revis was so dominant last season that he created the moniker "Revis Island" -- a place where wide receivers get lost and never are heard from again. In fact, Revis purchased a copyright for "Revis Island."

Revis' decision came as no surprise, but it created a dark cloud over head coach Rex Ryan's second training camp, the subject of a reality TV show -- HBO's "Hard Knocks." The reality is, Revis is irked that the Jets, whom he believes promised him a contract extension, didn't make a last-ditch offer to appease him.

The two sides talked late Thursday night, ending weeks of silence, but there was no negotiating, sources said. The Jets were interested in seeing if Revis was planning to report to camp, and they were informed it was highly unlikely, a source said.

This has the makings of a long, ugly holdout. By league rule, Revis is subject to a $16,000-a-day fine. If he doesn't report by Aug. 10, the 2010 season won't count as an accrued season for him. He's due to make $1 million this season.

The bigger issue is this: By not showing, Revis essentially waived a future guarantee. His salaries in 2011 and 2012 -- $5 million and $15 million, respectively -- were to be guaranteed after the season, when the Jets planned to exercise a buy-back option. His no-show violates a clause in his current contract, meaning the $20 million becomes non-guaranteed.

That Revis has taken that risk indicates the depth of his frustration. Revis wants to become the league's highest-paid cornerback, topping the Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha ($16 million-per-year average). The Jets are believed to be offering around $12 million a year, but the contract includes no fully guaranteed money.

Because of the so-called reallocation rule, the Jets are prohibited from fully guaranteeing future base salaries against injury and skill. It can be one, but not both. However, the Jets can make up for that with substantial up-front money. Because it's an uncapped year, this would seem like the ideal time for that, but they don't want to make that kind of commitment because of the league's labor uncertainty.

Revis' absence taints the optimism surrounding the Jets, who made several bold moves in the offseason with the hope of winning a Super Bowl. Rex Ryan and Co. have talked openly about the Super Bowl, raising the expectation level to out-of-control proportions. But it will be tough to win without Revis, the best player on a defense that led the league in seven categories last season.

In other Jets news, rookie running back Joe McKnight, who failed his conditioning run last week, passed Sunday morning, clearing him to participate in training camp.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from ESPN.com's Tim Graham and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    ESPN Conversations

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

His demands, we've learned, aren't the enormous demands we first learned.

Its about guaranteed money, but there are about 5 different things that make this deal difficult to redo.

It'll get done, but it may not be this offseason or even this season.

20. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

PAY THE MAN!!!!:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.