That was a great game plan by Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by N0samples, Oct 12, 2014.

1. N0samples

N0samples Guest

Not sure if positive/non-reactionary threads are allowed, but here's one.

This is was a playoff caliber defensive gameplan by Rex. He managed to play coverage, get some pressure to rattle Payton and the outcome was Payton's worst performance since week 12 on 2013. That's how good Payton is. A dropped Int or two and some compromise was made on run D but this was a solid effort that gave a much inferior offense multiple chances to tie.

The lack of pass game is leading to teams selling out on the run and forcing us to pass, but we can't. Hard to win when you can't complete a pass on a stacked box.

Scapegoat Rex, but he's not the problem.

Ajitator, mikey, rammagen and 6 others like this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

rex may not be the problem, but it is doubtful that he is the solution.

Burnz, tomdeb, BleedGreen89 and 7 others like this.
  4. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I liked the game plan for the most part but the secondary is so bad, in order to somewhat defend against the pass we had to drop 8 in coverage and Denver shredded us on the ground. Rex really cant do much with this defense. They have no playmakers in the secondary that create turnovers or can cover 1 on 1 and in order to not get torched in the passing department, they will have to continue to have to play pass personnel and take chances on the line stopping the run with 3 down lineman. Tall order but im not sure what he can really do at this point.

5. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

It was a good plan but went away from it at the end of the first half and gave up a last drive before halftime for the 4th time this year.

freemantoon likes this.
  6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It was a better game plan on D because he didn't over blitz and expose his depleted Dbs to single or no coverage so fewer big plays after Peyton opened the game with that 50 yard pass play. But when you say Rex's game plan we all know you mean just defense. I thought he was the head coach and in charge of the entire team. Then how was the O game plan. Not very good. Whose responsibility is that. Not a good job again, Rex. Your team lost by 2 Tds.

7. N0samples

N0samples Guest

Payton scored 7 points in the second half...

So clearly the plan worked there too.

NY Jets68, MenOverGod and Truth4U2 like this.
  8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

5 year extension!!!!

9. N0samples

N0samples Guest

Seattle allowed more passing yards than us...Is their secondary bad?

Our secondary is no worse than average. Watch an average secondary go against manning and you'll see.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Broncos have no running game whatsoever. While it didn't hurt them today, it will down the line IMO.
    That's no knock on the Jets who stop the run well.

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Average secondaries or better create turnovers and dont have Darrin Walls or Phillip Adams starting for them. Denver ran the ball down our throats all game and they couldnt run against run against Seattle and Manning threw 16 more passes that game. Comparing that game to this game is pretty laughable. Im kinda shocked youre even trying to defend these guys but maybe i shouldnt be since youre the same clown who guaranteed as win at San Diego.

12. N0samples

N0samples Guest

They ran the ball cause we were in nickel and dime coverage variations all day to compensate for their pass game...

It was a conscious decision to dare them to run. If it means sacrificing our running stats to reduce their overall threat it was a good decision.

Learn how to watch a game without crying like a bitch.

13. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

If Jim Harbaugh is free and the Jets fire Rex to sign him, no problem.

If Idzik fires Rex to bring in Seattle's novice defensive coordinator, major problem.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Rex limited Peyton Manning very well today. The entire team came to play today, and everyone played as good or better than they have all season. This was by far the defense's best game so far this year as a whole. Geno continues to struggle a lot. Basically what I'm looking for is to continue to start Geno for the rest of the season, and ride it out with him. I have a pretty strong feeling we'll be looking in a new direction for a QB this offseason. At this point we are all but numerically out of the playoffs and the players must know it. If Rex can coach an 8-8 season from this point on I vote he stays on. Part of it is I just can't bring myself to want a coach with a winning record for his career fired.

If the team gives up, blow up the coaching staff.

mikey and onefanjet like this.
  15. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Do you actually believe that? The secondary is league worst status.

16. N0samples

N0samples Guest

Prove it.

What metrics ranks the secondary as the worst?

17. N0samples

N0samples Guest

Nothing dumber than bringing in a coordinator with a simple scheme whose success is due to having a superior roster. Ex. 49ers and SEA's D.

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Yep. Definitely Barcs

displacedfan likes this.
  19. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Seriously, that would be a smart move. (I think you meant that sarcastically, but you should have meant it literally).

Recently Bill Polian was quoted as saying he was disappointed the Colts only won 1 SB during the Peyton Manning era. Imagine if the Colts never made the super bowl during their 10+ year Manning era .... that's how I will feel if the Jets don't take advantage of the Rex Ryan era and keep him around until he inevitably delivers a championship to us.

20. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Winning record??? As of today's loss, he is 43-43.
    So, once again we are going to treat 8-8 as the standard to keep him as HC? This is becoming ridiculous already.

TNJet likes this.