Teddy must be week 1 sttarter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think we need to trade Teddy as soon as possible. Him being on this roster is not the best for this team nor Sam Darnold, all based on the theory that Darnold is our future.

Heres my reasoning (this is just my dumbass opinion):

Teddy can walk on to many teams and become the starter. This organization went all in on Sam Darnold this year. McCown looked better than average last year and definitely kept us competitive. He's a great mentor for Sam and a great backup. Having Teddy on this roster, I feel, just hinders Sam's progress and this organizations ability to go all in on Sam. The Jets signed Teddy before Darnold fell into their laps. Teddy was always a backup option had they not gotten the guy they wanted or the guy they got did not pan out. It is clear that this organization is high on Sam and feels he has every feature of a starting NFL QB. Teddy creates unnecessary controversy, if this is true. He is always looming on the sideline and there is always talk about a "QB Controversy" if Sam struggles at all or has a slight mishap. Let's say the Jets feel Sam shouldn't start, McCown takes over for another year and Sam watches from the sideline. There is no need for Teddy now that they seem to feel Darnold is the guy.

This could all be dumb in many people's view, but I just think we should get the best we can while we can. We need to trade him before the season starts and when his stock is high. He is one twist away from another knee tear and then we are stuck with our d*** in our hand.

Again, this is just my opinion, but if Darnold is your guy, bet the house on him.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is a QB-driven league, and therefore a premium is placed on that position. How many here thought it was nuts for Macc to give up what he did to get a shot at drafting a FQB? So TB's value is much higher than many here credit. It will only increase if another team finds they need a starter, which ids almost certain. I'm not sure I would even take a 2nd for him...maybe a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably I would want a stud pass rusher, and maybe a draft pick given the value of a QB over any other position. Macc knows what he's sitting on, and I doubt he gives it up cheap.

That said, he doesn't have Teddy locked up past this year so at some point he's going to have to do something, I doubt he signs him to be a backup, regardless of how much money he promises (and he won't overpay for him even with all the cap space because he needs a bunch of other spots filled). I see TB's days here ending in the next few weeks, no later than mid-season.

NCJetsfan, LAJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hahah come on bro! MAYBE a 2nd and a 3rd?!?!?!? Are you nuts? Maybe you do that??

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. Hey the seahawks offered a 2nd rounder for Brisset this past weekend & the colts turned it down!

Its a strange climate league wide right now & the jets should hold out for the best deal they can for Teddy

5. jonnyd

The Seahawks offered a 2nd rounder when they have Wilson? Thats odd but still, you get offered a 2 and a 3 for Teddy you do not hesitate one second

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. They are worried about depth behind Wilson & they think Brisset is “the best backup in football” their unnamed sources words not mine.Even so a turned dwn 2nd for Brisset definitely inflates Teddy’s market value.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. jonnyd

I htink if Luck wasnt a question mark, the Colts would have done that....thats the differnece

stinkyB likes this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lets play out your scenario of not trading teddy and transition tagging him next year (it would behoove teddy to use the tag number as a baseline for his 2019 salary). his salary this year is $6 mill plus up to $9 mill in incentives. lets say he gets $6 of the $9 mill. thats a 2018 salary of $12 mill. next years transition tag number will be around $22 million

you say its clear that teddy is better than darnold. but do you think that teddy has been so much better than darnold that hes worth an additional $34 million in cap room (over the next two years) plus a fourth round pick? ... imo, they have been neck and neck all camp. and in that scenario i am choosing the guy thats younger, cheaper, and has more potential

9. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

10. Jetsfansince95

I'm really torn about our QB situation and I don't have the answer, yes Darnold is our future but after so many years of missing out on quarterbacks we finally have 2 good ones ... we should keep both (which I understand isn't really possible) its a crappy situation to be in ... what is a second or third rounder gonna net us at the end of the day ... not much

Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Jetsfansince95

Mc donut, Mauldin, Hack, Devin Smith, Amaro, and who can forget GE NO etc ...

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

If you're scared of failure, you'll never reach success. The past is the past but Marcus Maye is one bad man.

13. jonnyd

So Im guessing by Monday Bowles will name Sam starter for week 1 so we can stop with threads like these?

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Nope. Bowles is saying he won’t name a starter till after ps week 4.
    We get another 10 days of this minimum.
    [​IMG]

15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Gotta be honest, every time I read the thread title I hear the OP sttuttering.

FJF likes this.
  16. jonnyd

Ill call bullshit on that but we shall see

17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

there's no doubt bridge would be immediately better than Darnold.

But here's the thing.

If Darnold has a mastery of the playbook, is sufficiently reading defenses, is showing no major mechanical flaws, is going through his progressions, and is making quick decisions, why would't we start him? If he's presenting those things, he will learn nothing sitting on the bench. Literally nothing. If he's ready to play, play the kid, let him learn, and get him further along entering next year when we're flush with cap space.

Plus with that cap space, we want Darnold to put some things on tape that get prospective and noteworthy free agents excited and wanting to come here.

18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

There's no guarantee Bridgewater's knee will hold up, no guarantee he will win 11 games, no guarantee that Darnold won't have a better year. The only thing we know for certain is that we are all in on Darnold for years. The kid has great potential but he critically needs playing experience. The worst possible thing the Jets could do would be waste a year with a gamble on Bridgewater while Darnold warms the bench. This is especially true when we already paid $10 million for a backup QB. We need to trade Bridgewater while his stock his high and before he goes gimpy again.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Even if all those things were true about Darnold, you don't start him so he doesn't have to get his ass kicked behind this offensive line for 16 games. I also think that if you are going to have a "competition" that you ought to give the job to the player that wins the competition. But maybe that's old fashioned..