TE is our weakest poistion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Aug 14, 2015.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Forget QB, Guard, LB, Punter TE is our weakest position on the team. After signing Cumberland to a 3 year contract this guy has fallen off the NFL map. Last year, he was non existent and when he was open, for the most part, he dropped the ball. Now last night he does the same thing and kills a drive and we kick a FG. Two other backups did the same thing last night and Amarro is suppose to be the new guy but that's just hope. He showed a little good and a little bad last year so how do we really know. TE will be something the GM needs to upgrade after the pre-season cuts. Other then that, I have zero opinion or care about last night except the injury to the LB Henderson

2. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Amaro got hurt also idk if it's anything to matter but he did get hurt

I don't think there will be any te that is going to change the fact that we are weak at the position

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope there will be a camp cut at TE whom the Jets think will be better than Cumberland and they'll cut his ass if he makes one more drop in preseason. I really liked him when he first came here, but I've had it with him.

I'd rather start Davis at TE or the camp cut, even if that camp cut is more of a blocker. With some supposed interior OL deficiencies at the OG spots, at least if we had sound blocking TEs, we could roll Fitz or Geno out on many, if not most throws, and eliminate pressure up the gut.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Cumberland- crap
    Amaro- not a real TE
    Davis- Anthony Becht's hands

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

I'm a bit alarmed at Amaro's rookie year, Cumberland is uninspiring also. Though I think the O-line is a little worse off. Apparently in this Chan Gaily system, TE's arent used much.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We just dont seem to ever hit on receiving tightends. We drafted Dustin Keller who was supposed to be a receiving threat. He was meh. Then there's Jace Amaro, a lot of people loved him coming out of college and hes been even worse. I do think though we're in the dark ages of the tightend. Other than Jimmy Graham and Gronk, theres not many tightends that are going to scare defenses.

7. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Compared to this batch, Dustin Keller looks like a HOFer.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

And we have a lot of those!

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

amaro is dinged up and Cumberland drops 1 pass and here comes the TE thread....

FlaJet and jetsclaps like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wes Saxton gonna save the day yall!

Freddy Mondo and JetLifeLo like this.
  11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I miss Mickey Shuler.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Cumberland doesn't even qualify as a hold the fort guy at this point.

13. NCJetsfan

Well, there really isn't a "Chan Gailey system" per se since he adapts his "system" to whatever talents he has on hand. Remember also that Gailey just arrived on the scene. This is Amaro's second season Cumby's 3rd n'est ce pas?

JetLifeLo likes this.
  14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was pushing for us to sign a TE in FA and now it's painfully obvious it should have been a lot higher on our priority list.
    Cumberland just blows & Amaro is, well we don't even know what Amaro is.

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

someone enlighten me on Jace's issues? I havent heard much about him this summer and i see he's our 3rd TE... whats going on with him? He just not good or not grasping Chan's offense?

16. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

He's softer than the Pillsbury Dough boy.

jetfan59 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Cumberland is worthless.....and being that Amaro was drafted by Idzik I have little hope for him

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

A lot of TE's are soft though.. at least in my eyes lol. idk whens the last time i see a TE not named Gronk break a tackle. It has to be more than that.

19. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Overreactions are abound today. Must be Jets football season!!

Skicats and JetsVilma28 like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I never liked him in the first place. I think he had one big season in college, in 2013. He had over 100 catches, but if you watched any film on him at all, well over 90% of his passes were within 5 yards of the LOS and he was wide open. He played in a spread passing attack, and either the teams they played were awful in pass defense, or his school's (Texas Tech, I think) WRs were dangerous threats on the outside and double covered because he generally was totally wide open.

He wasn't known as a physical player or good blocker. His hands even looked somewhat suspect to me. I liked TEs that were slated to go int he 3rd or 4th rounds better than him. I might have taken him in the 5th round, but not before then. I just didn't think he looked like a good prospect. I've been hoping that I was wrong and he'd prove it, but so far it looks like I was spot on. If we base his selection on who drafted him (Idzik), then more than likely he will wind up being a bust.

I think he's soft both physically and mentally, doesn't have great hands, and may not be that smart either. He may be struggling with learning the offense and having to think too much.

rohirrim665 likes this.