Tank is back On!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That would be my personal Plan-B. Having a RB like Barkley makes it so much easier on whoever the QB is.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, well said! I agree with your reasoning about Newsome - at least he was trying, and shows he understands the importance of the QB in the scheme of things. The prevailing attitude of Macc (and a lot of posters here) seems to be: "Well the QB position is so important that l really don't want to look bad, so instead I'll go with a more "sure thing" like a defensive BPA". Trouble is, there is no guarantee your DBPA succeeds, and even if he does you haven't made up for the "virtual miss" because you didn't get your QB.

Newsome understands this, Macc doesn't seem to.

And I fully agree with your point about the lack of sense of urgency to address this decades-old problem. Show some URGENCY! How is it that so many other teams succeed, then decline for a year or two, then reload and are right back in contention while the SOJs flounder not only year after year, but decade after decade? How can a team be so consistently inept? You would think that the saying "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in while" would apply, but the Jets seemingly couldn't find an "acorn" with a den of squirrels with 20-20 vision!

As said before, I'm pretty close to being done with them.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, I understand your thought processes, feelings and frustration. I share in your frustration. Perhaps there is and has been some of the Jets not taking a QB prospect who doesn't check all the boxes, but if so, I can understand that too.

There is a high bust rate at the QB position. If a GM misses on a QB taken high, he often won't get a chance to draft another. Knowing the bust rate of QBs, I would find it very difficult to draft one who didn't check all the boxes and was limited in some way or another. If he proved to be a bust, I would be angry with myself for wasting a pick on a player who was limited in some way or that I really wasn't that crazy about, may not get a chance to draft another, and even if he worked out, he would still be limited in some way and maybe not really what the team needed. This would be true for any position, but especially so for the QB position since it is so important. With the exception of this year and 2014, I can't even remember the last time the Jets were in a position to draft a QB high. If one is going to trade a slew of high draft picks to move up and take a QB, one had better be darned sure that is the QB he really wants and believes in. I can't blame any Jets' GM for not trading multiple #1 and #2 picks to move up for a QB who was limited in some fashion and not "ideal." I would be livid if they did make such a trade out of desperation and would want them fired for that.

4. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

I can blame them. It is their job to get us the franchise qb by any means needed. 3 years in and no sign. They aren't taking the first round qb out of fear of failing? They are failing either way. The only way a gm succeeds is getting a franchise qb or a super bowl and I don't see either happening any time soon. You gotta take risks to get reward and not taking the risk says the gm isn't confident in his ability to pick the guy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If the choice was trading up to get Rosen or another QB, or pay Cousins $25M a year, which is the choice?

I personally, am all for signing cousins. He's on pace for 4,300 yards, 30 tds and 9 ints, which is line with what he has does the past two seasons. He's probably a top 10 qb (albeit around 8 or 9) which should be able to play at a high level for 7 plus years. Similar to when the Saints signed Drew Brees.

FJF likes this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Of course that’s the answer!!! You have a legit qb for 5+ years and you can retool your roster with the draft picks you save. It’s a no brainer

FJF likes this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

That's not the answer because the Redskins won't let him walk.

8. NCJetsfan

In 2015 both the Bucs and Titans made it clear that they weren't trading their pick away. In 2016, Mac could have possibly traded up with the Rams, but they may have said they weren't trading the pick as well. I honestly don't remember, but I wouldn't have wanted Goff anyway.

The Eagles traded up with the Browns to get Wentz, however. I couldn't remember, so just looked it up. They gave the Browns their first-round pick (#8), a third and fourth-round pick in the 2016 draft, and their first-round pick in the 2017 draft and their second-round pick in the 2018 draft. The Eagles got a conditional fifth-round pick and the #2 pick in the 2016 draft in exchange. Seemingly, Mac could have matched or beaten that, and it wasn't an exorbitant cost. I really liked Wentz and wanted the Jets to draft him. It would have been risky to trade up for Wentz, but I would have done it, so I agree that Mac deserves criticism for not making that move.

Of course, the problem is that Mac supposedly "fell in love" with Hack, so he wouldn't have probably even considered trading up for Wentz when he thought he could get Hack without giving up picks. If that was his thinking/plan, then he deserves criticism, if not being fired for that gaffe. Hack could still develop. That Hack hasn't developed any further than he has, isn't on Mac. That's on Bowles, Gailey and whoever the QB coach was in 2016. If Hack's psyche is too damaged or if he never really had the accuracy and tools to succeed, then that's on Mac and the Jets' scouting dept., but if he does, and just hasn't been coached and worked with properly, then that's on Bowles, Gailey and the Jets' QB Coach in 2016.

The other issue is that even if Mac had traded up for Wentz, it doesn't mean that he would have developed here or would be starting. It's pretty certain that Gailey wouldn't have done a damn thing to help develop him, and Bowles is a clueless tool who love vets, so he wouldn't have either. We'd all probably be screaming because Wentz was sitting on the bench.

Mac could also have taken either Mahomes or Watson this year. The pressure is definitely on him. If Hack and to a lesser extent, Petty don't develop into FQBs, and Wentz, Watson, and Mahomes do, then the Johnsons have to decide if Mac has done enough good otherwise that he deserves the opportunity to draft another QB. Even though I think Mac has done a lot of good for the team, and has been better than Idzik, Bradway or Tanny, that isn't saying much, and more and more I'm leaning towards the position that he should go for failing to get a FQB.

9. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Put it this way, if he doesn't draft the franchise qb this year, he is as good as gone

grkmanga31 likes this.
  10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Rams traded up with the Titans to pick Goff, Titans already had Mariota.

11. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know that the Titans took Mariota in 2015. I didn't know that the Rams traded up in 2016 to get Goff, so thanks.

So that was another opportunity that Mac had in 2016 to trade up and take Wentz. He didn't, and that's on him. If Hack or Petty don't develop into a FQB, then he should get the axe. A clear signal needs to be sent to any potential Jets' GM that he has to get a FQB in the draft, and if he fails, he's a goner. I think a clear signal also needs to be sent that no more JAG FA QBs and no more playing older vets over promising young players. Bite the bullet, let the young players play, make their mistakes, learn and develop. Take our lumps now so that we can be really good in a couple of years.

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Don't understand this fascination with Cousins. His overall record is 22-25-1. In his best years he was 9-7 and 8-7-1. His best TD totals were 29 and 25. (Hell, even Fitz threw more TD's than that.) He lost both playoff games he played in. Highest QBR in which he played a full season is 71.7. By the start of next season, he'll be 30. And people are talking about paying him 25M a year? I don't get it.

There are a good number of college QB prospects this year that have the potential to be much greater than those numbers. I'd rather take my chances on one of those.

Peebag and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I'm not sure why the mandate to draft a FQB needs to be put in place? The GM is supposed to build a team. And everyone here talks about finding a FQB as if you can just glance at come college stats and combine numbers and instantly tell who the FQB out of the group is going to be.

Which franchises are set at QB currently: NE, GB, NO, Sea, Phil?, TB?, Tenn?, LAR?, IND?, HOU?, DAL? PITT?, KC?, ATL?
    Looking at these 13 franchise
    There are 3 franchises with an aging QB that will age out in 1-3 year including NE, NO, PITT.
    There are 6 franchises with a young QB that should not be anointed as a FQB at this including: Phil, Tenn, LAR, Hou, DAL, TB
    That leaves 4 franchises who seem to be good at QB: Sea, KC, ATL, GB. Out of those 4 franchises KC may be switching soon to Mahomes and Rodgers is out for the year with a broken collarbone.

Is it really that easy for a GM to just draft a FQB out of all the QB's that have come into the league since 2000 (Brady was drafted in 2000, so I use that as the starting point as the oldest FQB on the list). 13 out of how many???

14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Great points but Maccagnan has been on the job now for 3 seasons and has yet to produce a FQB. At some point you can't continue to plug career journeymen at the QB position and not pay for it by losing your job. We can't continue to just pretend that we don't need a FQB, because we do and although its harder than we all make it out to seem at some point we need to address it. Whether through FA or the draft, it has to be done.

15. I’m trading the picks for Rosen & signing Brees.Both fit Morton’s system..both are franchise players..Rosen looks an awful lot like Brees did in college if you ask me. Let them compete in camp/preseason(and an epic battle it’d be) if Rosen sits he learns behind a great who can still carry a team.If Brees sits he becomes a great mentor & a deadly off the bench option fit for any in game scenario.

I do my best not to include the 2018 2 second rounders & use them to trade down for future picks to soften the blow from the Rosen trade just executed..quite often 2nd rounders can yield a future 1st from a team presumed to be playoff contenders that will be picking late

Royal Tee and Jets_Grinch like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

watch the man play instead of reading box scores. And even those stats are better than nothing - - the NFL stats of any rookie.

FJF likes this.
  17. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Understandable point. However, I just did a quick count of the number of QB's drafted since 2000. It's give or take 220. (on lunch, doing it quickly). If we use the above number I provided to determine the possible FQB candidates in the league it's give or take a 5% chance to draft a FQB. Without analyzing further, I couldn't tell you whether this percentage could be transferred throughout all other position. But based off of my very cursory statistics, if the chance on hitting on a FQB is 5%, how exactly can you mandate that as the criteria for continued employement?? You also stated that Mac has been given 3 years and hasn't found anyone. The whole damn league has hit on a FQB 5% of the time and that's if all the young QB's pan out in my example. (if anyone wants to add or remove QB's from my list, i'm more than willing to see what the statistics reveal).

Yes, the NFL is a passing league now. And yes, having exceptional QB play to reach the Super Bowl is necessary. But if it was so easy to do every team would be on the path with their own FQB.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good point. It is extremely difficult to find an elite QB. That's why teams do irrational things like trading everything they have to draft some 20 year old kid who hasn't taken a snap yet, or spending $20 million annually on a guy who has played 6 quarters of football.

19. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Because without one you CANNOT win a Super Bowl and if you are not trying to build a Super Bowl team gtfo

20. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Wins and losses are not all on the QB.

After this year, he will have thrown for 4,000 yards 3 seasons in a row. Jets have one 4,000 yard season in their history.

FJF likes this.