Steven A Has A Point

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Oct 24, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Really ?

:D:D:D

2. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Yeah he said it on Sports Reporters on ESPN I believe after the Jets vs Chargers playoff game in 2005..was killing Schottenheimer for not kicking a field goal on 3rd down...everyone else on the panel was just looking at him like a dumb ass...haven't been able to take the guy seriously since.

K'OB likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Best philosophy is to draft a QB every draft if you DONT have a franchise QB...Mac just has to try his best to evaluate...Mac is learning and I believed he learned from Hack mistake

Jets Philosophy : Draft BPA or a Defensive stud for the last 10 years....use your cap space on journeyman QBs and keep your fingers crossed

Results: No playoffs losing seasons in rebuild mode every couple of seasons

Blessing going forward : tank or no tank we may not win another game ...not trying to be a downer on our young players who are talented and motivated...we just may come close but no cigar ( I think except for Cleveland we have not been favored in any game and prob all those going forward)

As Parcells aply said "you are what your record says you are". That's now but if things play out right and Mac drafts the right QB things will change in a hurray

It Petty or Hackenberg were any good they would be our starter Sunday...sorry they are not the future

#143 NYJetsO12, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  4. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought you were just referring to top QB prospects, regardless of whether or not they won the Heisman.

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This is the criteria he originally used, "the following collegiate QBs had very impressive resumes as well, with playing big in big games, bowl victories, national championships (facts)", then after the fact, he said he was only counting Heisman winners and claimed he was right because he was only counting Heisman winners.

He also likes to claim he never calls other posters names and chides others that do and then never responds when called out for calling other posters names.

It's the NCJetsfan illogical code of conduct.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No problem. You're right that those other QBs achieved great success in college and have done little or nothing in the NFL. I was just using Heisman Trophy winners as an example, and wasn't trying to create a comprehensive list.

7. You almost get the sense that Mac is either totally inept at selecting QBs or doesn’t grasp that the very team he manages hasn’t had a franchise qb in 40 years..

A guy like Watson had to be scouted extremely carefully & something Mac had to get right given the franchise’s situation & it looks like he couldn’t have been more wrong.

Petty & Hackenberg w multiple years under their belt compared to passing on trading up for Goff,Wentz, or simply taking Watson..does not speak well to “magic Mike”.Just another clown who can’t evaluate quarterbacks

8. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

WOULDNT HAVE TO TANK IF WE TOOK WATSON

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It may eventually prove to be true that Mac can't evaluate QBs well, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to even begin to go there.

Let me ask you a question...Would you want Ozzie Newsome as our GM? He has a pretty lousy track record when it comes to evaluating QBs in the draft, and he's been a pretty darned good GM for the Ravens. He passed on Rodgers and Carr and some other decent QBs, and drafted Flacco and a bunch of crap at the position.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Ugh its possible that we just missed out on a QB of a generation. Let that sink in when we draft more DEs next year.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or Mahomes.

12. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Possible? It's a fact. And so far maye>Adams

13. ColoradoContrails

Yes. And that's why Macc should have taken Mahomes or Watson with that first pick, and then Maye. The Jets would be so much farther along at this point. In fact, with Watson, they could easily be at 6-2 or better, and have absolutely no need to tanking, and looking forward to many years of playoffs and SBs.

It's a travesty.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

We didn't have the talent at skill position or OL to properly develop Watson or put him in a position to succeed. He's got a solid OL, a running game, and two first-round picks at WR down there in Houston.

Mac viewed Decker/Marshal as having fallen of cliffs (and based on their performance other places, he wasn't wrong), and had seen the Jets OL fall apart with the retirement of Ferguson and the end of the Mangold era at center, who'd been downslipping for a few years. He was looking at a total rebuild offensively.

Mac had already taken a QB who had had a whole year to 'get used' to the speed of the pro game and practice in the pros in the second round the year before, and had a second young quarterback who he hoped could make the jump to serviceability. He wasn't ready to entirely give up on Hack (or Petty) without giving them another offseason and training camp of development, and had a roster that was Swiss Cheese. Faced with a secondary that was near the bottom of the league and regularly getting gouged for big plays, he knew he couldn't spend a top draft pick on a QB without any of the ingredients a young QB needs to succeed - a decent running game, offensive line, outlet receivers, and a defense that'd keep games close.

So, Mac spent the draft, picking the two safest, long-term-building-block style picks he could find to stop the bleeding in the secondary - and seems to have been largely successful there. I mean, we've kept the last three games closer than our on-paper talent had any business keeping close. He drafted a pair of WRs in the 3rd/4th with some hope that at least one will develop into a long-term answer. His 5th-rounder could be a solution at tight end (plus, dat ASJ pickup is looking like gold) but training camp injuries. He took a likely non-extension and locker-room-issues character who'd been underproducing (Richardson) and moved them for a second rounder (shit, there were plenty of people who thought it was unlikely we'd even get a *third* for him), while picking up a solid young guy at a position of need (Kearse) in the bargain.

Neither of the young QBs really impressed in training camp, so the starting job got handed to a savvy veteran / game manager sort in McCown; and McCagnan takes the opportunity to evaluate the coaching staff, and the various supporting pieces around the QB to figure out what else he's going to need to fix when he brings in his FQB. McCown is way outperforming his own talent level (top 10 in TD passes, though he hasn't had a bye yet, and top 5 in completion percentage. Sure, he throws more INTs than he should, but he's not typically getting big seperation from any of his WRs, and well, if he didn't have an issue he'd have been a franchise guy, not a journeyman.)

So, that's how it happened.

Between natural development, ASJ emerging, Legget potentially showing up, another offseason for Kearse to get comfortable in the system, Enunwa back from injury (in good form, we pray!) and a loaded FA class at WR, I think the Jets skill position talent is going to look a lot nastier without a single draft pick spent at WR/TE next year. A top WR in FA, toss one of those second-rounders on a solid building block on the OL, a mid-rounder on a more power-y back to replace Forte, and we'd still have the ammo to go after an FQB in the draft while being a lot scarier on offense - and putting whoever we do grab in a much better position to succeed than the quagmire we'd likely have thrown Watson into.

#154 wampa, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I'm pretty sure we all know how it happened. But many of us completely disagree with that approach for reasons most of us have given.

The bottom line is that this team will go nowhere until they get a FQB in place. If they wait until "all the pieces are in place" before picking that FQB, the odds are that he will never do it. I agree that Watson would not have the same success he's having with Houston right now for the reasons you mention, BUT...the Jets would still be better off in the long run.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. The Waterboy

It's also possible that Watson is the next RG III. You want to tell me you thought Watson should have been the pick over Adams at #6?

17. The Waterboy

Shit, Watson should quit right now since he has nothing left to prove, get his bust ready for Canton.

joe and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Yes. Watson should have been the pick over Adams at 6, no question.

19. The Waterboy

You thought Trubisky would have been a good pick at 6 also, too bad they don't get to pick 3 or 4 players with one pick. I'll wait and see if he keeps it up through a couple of seasons before I send him his invite to the HOF.

20. ColoradoContrails

Actually, no I didn't want Trubisky - I DID want Mahomes, but Watson was always my 2nd choice.

And are you really claiming that the Jets would not be better off with Watson as QB right now? Even setting aside the possibility that with him as QB they might have won these last 3 games and be sitting at 6-2, in the long run how could they not be better off?