Spencer Long contract details - very cap friendly for the jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 23, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Here is a complete breakdown (plus our takeaways) from the contract the Jets gave their new center, Spencer Long, as provided to NJ Advance Media by a source with knowledge of the contract:

Maximum length: Four years

Maximum value: $27.4 million

Roster bonus: $1 million (all counts toward 2018 salary cap)

Signing bonus: Zero (which means no cap-related proration over the contract's span)

Total guarantee: $9 million (fully guaranteed money plus $3 million roster bonus in 2019)

Fully guaranteed money at signing: $6 million (2018 roster bonus and 2018 salary)

2018: $5 million salary, $6.625 million salary cap figure

2019: $3 million salary, $3 million roster bonus, $6.5 million salary cap figure, zero dead money

2020: $6.25 million salary, $6.75 million salary cap figure, zero dead money

2021: $6.65 million salary, $7.15 million salary cap figure, zero dead money

Notes: Long has an extra $625,000 cap hit in 2018, because of a roster bonus he will receive for every game he is on the 53-man roster ($62,500 per game, for a maximum of $1 million). Long's salary for 2019 is non-guaranteed, but it will effectively become guaranteed right after the Super Bowl next year, when the waiver period begins. That's because his $3 million roster bonus for 2019 becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the Jets' roster on the third day following the start of the waiver period. From 2019-2021, Long has a per-game roster bonus that totals up to $500,000 each year.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

For all the criticism Mac gets and I have my share of gripes, he is great at not giving bad contracts that will cripple the cap situation.

stinkyB, Nesquik, TonyFtLaud and 2 others like this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Wait for it....
    The Revis and Mo contracts will be thrown at you any minute....
    Neither hurt the team but that won't matter......

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am not against Mac but I also don't love him either. So you can call me neutral. I liked that he signed Revis but I hated that he signed Mo. I also didn't like his Skrine signing. That said I can't deny the fact that Mac is trying to structure the contracts in a way that allows us to get rid of the player if player doesn't perform.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I like what Mac has done with FAs and trades since he was hired. He has been great structuring contracts also since he arrived. Everyone forgets he executive of the year a couple seasons back.
    Has to improve on his drafting and IMO his future rides on the third pick of this draft.