Speculation: Cotchery wanting out

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsTillDeath, Jan 2, 2012.

1. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Going over this mess that the Jets seem to have gotten themselves into here in terms of locker room chemistry and subsequent lack of on-field chemistry. Cotchery is the type of guy that embodies a team player, selfless, motivated, lead-by-example - all the things that Holmes is NOT. I began to wonder if Holmes could be a major reason why Cotchery wanted out. Having to deal with someone like that everyday as your "Captain" - when you know he lacks all leadership ability that you (meaning Cotchery) strive to posses.

Cotchery was my favorite Jet for many years, and I was pissed to see him go...I wonder now if Holmes and his horrible attitude had anything to do with it.

What do you guys think?

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% I think Cotch leaving had everything to do with having to work with Holmes and seeing him get the C & the money.

3. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Sadly I really think this may be true.We have chased all the guys with character off the team!

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Barring any leaked info, there's no way any of us can possibly know why Cotchery wanted out. If memory serves me correctly, I think he didn't want to be lower/as low as #3 on the depth chart; however, I'm not sure that really was the case because that's right about where he is in Pitt's Offense. So you could be right, but who knows?

And FTR, Cotchery was one of my favorite Jets too. I watched him play a lot when he was at NC St, and I was super stoked when we drafted him, and I was just as disappointed this past Offseason when he walked.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Another Mike Tannenbaum genius move along with Gholston, Ducasse, Mason, etc.

6. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Yea - no doubt that we will never know the truth about why he wanted out, but it seemed unlike him at the time, and his intangibles are sorely missed on days like these. He would have played a larger roll on this team then he did in Pitt, so I am unsure it was a "playing time" thing. Oh well - time for an active off-season.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Cotchery probably read the writing on the wall in terms of what guys they kept and which they dumped and realized he didn't want to be a part of this anymore.

8. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

This is all making sense now, and if I were in Cotchery's shoes, I would have wanted the same thing, he busts his ass for this team since 2004, never gets the respect he deserves, the organization is constantly trying to push him to the #3-#4 WR, and then the Jets give a captaincy to the player with the least character on the team.

9. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Yup - and then a team like Pitt who never has these type of issues, snags him up...hopefully Tanny was taking notes.

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

J-Co was a fucking boss, He's probably laughing at these clowns.

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

IIRC, Cotchery asked out after the AFCCG loss in Pittsburgh, before he knew whether Holmes, Edwards, both or neither would be back, so it seems unlikely that a personal clash with Holmes was the issue.

12. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

Aww fuck i thought this thread was about him wanting out of Pittsburgh. Was about to say:SIGN THIS BEAST!!!

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Unless im missing something, it was very apparent and obvious that Jco left because he wanted his shot to be the #2 reciever, and when we signed Plax to have that role he got fed up with being passed over and left.

Im also rather certain that this was open and public news, and had absolutely nothing to do with team chemistry, holmes, or any of that bullish

14. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

This was "open" and "public" news that was propagated by the Jets, I never heard JCo utter those words. Also, if it were the case, then why go to Pitt to be a #4 receiver when you were guaranteed the slot here.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

he left us to be a free agent, he didnt leave us to go to Pitt

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think giving Santonio the C really was close to the last straw for Cotchery. He actually asked out firmly when Mason was brought in. When a bad attitude/slacker gets a leadership position it becomes clear that the management is out to lunch.

17. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

funny how they scouted ducasse at U Mass and failed to see victor cruz.

if you were cotchery, and saw yourself shoved down the depth chart for an over-the-hill derrick mason, wouldn't you want to leave? don't thnik holmes had anything to do with this one.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It could make sense especially after reading Derrick Mason's tweet about "the real story" . Another guy we overlooked as far as being a good locker room guy was Cotch. We got rid of all these guys with well known reputations for being leaders and that has allowed the culture of no accountability and cancerous attitude of one to bring down a good part of the offense.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

just a coincidence, but both GM and Chrysler started down the road to failure/bankruptcy when bean-counters were given the CEO position.

taking notes on a balance sheet? not likely.

20. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

The loss of Cotchery was much more devastating than a lot folks realized. All those 3rd down throws short of the mark that Schottenheimer loves to call--Cotchery converted those with a juke here and a stretch there.

Two plays from last season stand out as defining moments about what Cotchery brought to this offense:

The diving first down catch he made in Cleveland after tearing his groin seconds earlier in the route

And the big catch and run for about 50 yards vs NE in the playoffs that allowed Sanchez and the Jets to answer a Pats TD and maintain the lead.

Mgt, and I mean Tannenbaum, needs to look at every play a guy runs the previous season before dumping him for a bigger name that will make him look good.