Sooo... Who's walkin the plank??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Cutting all 8 would be the wisest move.Let's have a legit youth movement. Seems like Harris in Particular survives this time year annually. I'd really like to see us move on. He's a great Jet...but he's also been the signal caller & leader of a vastly underachieving unit for far too long.He also is ill fitted for the way this league is headed...he cannot play in space & has 0 range in pass coverage. He's a 2 down player who is a liability even in that role.

NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Clean house, but keep Mangold / Harris on a reworked contract with limited PT.

xxedge72x and FJF like this.
  3. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Not sure why Harris would be gone, he led in tackles, I believe.

xxedge72x and IDFjet like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If the jets are STUPID enough to bring back Revis for ONE dollar next year, at safety, CB, or even special teams, then they get what they deserve. He was the most overpaid player in the history of sports last year, and in my opinion the worst player in the league. Any coach with a brain would have sat him after week 5-6, except for that mindless moron Todd Bowles who would love the bring Revis back and watch him be torched early and often again.

BomberJet, xxedge72x and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats football. what about when he was on a rookie deal making a few million. not even in the top 10 paid CBs and he was by far the best? it works both ways

6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It isn't the standard of play Revis turned in that makes me hate this idea, it was his total absence of effort on the field. That sort of thing is cancerous. At veteran minimum he would be stealing money - and then he has the unmitigated gall to say the Jets should treat him with class. The guy couldn't spell class if you spotted him the first five letters.

I have never felt such strong animosity toward a Jets player before. This is why I think this broken, dysfunctional, incompetent organisation will indeed rework his contract and bring him back next year. I'll be shocked (and elated) if they don't.

Mangold? The absolute exact polar opposite. I'd welcome him back as a mentor for some new o-line blood.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Actually its today and then again in march where he would receive a bonus... I say move on...

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

or they can not bring him back for 8 million dollars too. i would take that dollar deal in a heartbeat if they can get it vs. what they have now.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Up to this point the jets have made decisions that a terrible organization would make, and I believe they will continue to live up to that reputation by bringing Revis back.

10. Red Menace

Didn't he make a business decision and holdout after that to get more money?

The jets should now make a business decision and get rid of him.

Yes, it works both ways.

tomdeb, TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I would agree if we had a GM who had the slightest clue what he is doing but we don't so I prefer to keep everybody,;lose 15 games, fire everybody and hope we get a gm and coach with even a little ability the next time around. otherwise we will sign a new round of losers that we can't cut after a year.

NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

he held out to get that deal and then held out because he didn't like the low years that helped the cap situation, then threatened to holdout with a blown knee. thats not football thats revis and uncle sean

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Whaaaaaaat? You advocate for overpaying washed out vets because they may have been underpaid earlier in their career? Check out a successful team like the Patriots--when they see a player past his prime they move him or cut him, not overpay him for past laurels--Wolfolk, Seymour, Collins, Woodhead and, yes, Revis--THAT is smart football. If you are feeling sorry for Revis and want him back because he was underpaid on the rookie deal (as you write), just check out his play from last year and the amount of money he fleeced from the jets.

14. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Rework Mangold, and Harris, let the rest on the list go.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Why do you guys hate Mangold so much?

Let him go somewhere else so he can get a shot at a SB.

JetsVilma28 and Red Menace like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

If we were strong at CB then yes. but when we are as bad off as we are getting him to take a paycut would make more sense then paying him 8.3 million to not be here and paying his replacement. If we would save 15 mil form cutting him and only owe him1 mil or so then I would agree but having 8.3mil of your cap on dead money for 1 player not on the team doesn't make much sense
    a business decision is just that so you have to figure out his dead money too
    I never said he wasn't an ass or that he deserves any sort of "hometown" credit, all I'm saying is his dead cap number is very prohibitive.
    No I didn't say that, I said we need to look at his cap number. if we bring in a replacement for him or plays worse and makes 7 mil it would have been better to keep revis. because of the cap situation the best thing we can do is get him to take a pay cut and keep him one more year. It would make more sense to cut him in 2018 where he would only count for 1.6mil in dead money and we have no other dead money. If we cut him now we still pay him 8.3mil in dead money we can't use for 0 production and need to pay a replacement. on top of that we are already in the hole 5 mil in dead money from fitz and another 1mil from 2 other players. meaning cutting revis in 2017 leads to over 14.5million in dead money for 0 production. thats almost 10% of our cap room dead. If we wait until 2018 it would save us 7 mil in dead money.
    Making decisions like this can't be emotional, they need to make business sense for the team.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we were bad at cb with him, what will change without him?
    and the 2nd bolded, thats not what your original post said.

JetsVilma28, tomdeb and Red Menace like this.
  18. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Here's the start of cap reduction. Ryan Clady was cut saving 10 million. That pus us a shade into positive numbers. More to go!!!

19. Red Menace

I like Mangold, and I feel he should come back on a restructured deal because quality centers are just as hard to find as LT.

It's a double edged sword, I definitely don't want to see him win a SB with the Pats, but I would like him to end his career on a high note with a shot at a championship.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Business sense means if you can do better elsewhere with the 8M you'd save by cutting Revis, you cut him. The dead money figure is irrelevant.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.