So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Revis' agents called a Jets official to make it clear their client wanted to return to his old team, and at some point after Tampa Bay released the cornerback, Ryan spoke with Revis by phone to reiterate his undying love. With plenty of salary-cap space to burn and with a roster devoid of competent cornerbacks, Idzik could have assumed the role of genius and played the Bucs for fools by signing a healthier Revis for an ultra-reasonable $12 million for one year while Richardson grew into a star.
    Instead, the Jets allowed their former franchise corner and future Hall of Famer to sign with the same team that just won its 12th AFC East title in Johnson's time as Jets owner, and that just placed Revis in yet another Pro Bowl.
    "If I thought I could've gotten Darrelle for that [$12 million], I probably would've taken him," Johnson said. "It was our best judgment to do what we did, but Darrelle is a great player. I'd love Darrelle to come back."
    Asked why he didn't think he could sign the corner, Johnson said: "I guess my experience with his agents. It would've been very hard."
    A league source had told ESPNNewYork.com Revis preferred to sign with the Jets over the Patriots (the Giants and Broncos were the other teams on his list of destinations), and he would have played for Johnson for the same $12 million he got from Bob Kraft. That source repeated Monday that Jets management never returned the call from Revis' reps before the deal was made with New England, a fact that angered Ryan." -ESPN.com

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Anonymous sources are like assholes, everybody has one and they usually stink.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

After all the bullshit we've seen with Revis' camp over the years it's hard to believe that anyone could take a story about him seriously with "anonymous sources" quoted.

4. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

But in this case there were numerous reports corroborating each other that Woody didn't want to deal with Revis or his agents.

Now suddenly it's Idzik's fault.

I don't fucking buy it. Woody has hid behind his GM too many times when he didn't want something done, and when it blows up in his face he throws someone under the bus. See: Favre, Tebow

5. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

that presser was supposedly scheduled at the beginning for the season and he was committed to giving a state of the Jets address. it is unfortunate for him his plan backfired and Jets sucked almost as bad him.
    I think he expected to be a happy get together where there was punch and pie.
    Unfortunately he underestimated how bad we were going to be and then read from a written statement and did not take any questions . Even as bad as he was if he would have answered two or thre questions it would have been better. but without that he showed how out of his comfort zone he was.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well yes, just as I said. Nowhere in that story did it say that Johnson wanted the Jets to negotiate with Revis. The Pats did, and IN HINDSIGHT Johnson wishes they had done things differently. But at the time...

Nowhere is there any solid evidence the owner of the team sat idly by, wishing for a different approach, while the FO as reported at the time made no effort to even contact Revis's agents.

The Jets declared surrender before even trying to fight by the approach they took. That is very much to Idzik's detriment, but it hardly amounts to some kind of vindication in assessing Woodrow.

Btw and ftr I thought Woody did a better than expected job in his press conference, except for expressing confidence in Smith, which to be fair it would have been unrealistic to expect him to dump all over Smith right there.

Just maybe Woody is growing in his role as owner, but also ftr he's got a lot of ground to cover to reach average. Still, as a well known Woodrow hater here, I give him some credit.

7. Ralebird

You guys aren't paying attention. The agents for Revis contacted the Jets and did not get their calls returned. Ryan and Revis spoke on the phone with Revis saying he wanted to return. Revis was quoted as saying he wanted to return.

All those "numerous reports corroborating each other that Woody didn't want to deal with Revis or his agents" have been belied by Johnson's own words at the press conference Monday. Johnson did not refuse to negotiate with Revis. Idzik, or someone in his office, decided not to negotiate with the Revis faction.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

You left out that we have won NOTHING since 01/12/69 that is NOTHING! :mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Hey look, if you listened to Woody's presser he was talking out of both sides of his mouth. He says (maybe just off the cuff with no intention to be evasive) that he would have liked Revis to be on the Jets. That he's a great player. And then later he quietly mentions that it might not have been possible because he'd had problems dealing with Revis's agent. But if he could have gotten the same deal as Kraft did he might have signed him. He also said Idzik got a good deal when he traded him to the Bucs. In recent days the new word on this coming from the Idzik haters was that it was Idzik's call not Woody's to not re-sign Darrelle. All Woody had to do was to dispute this and take the blame. Or at the least say it was an organizational decision. He let Idzik take the hit for this when in most probability he was just following orders from the owner.

The 1985er likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

None of these current moves, firing both Idzik and Rex, exonerate Woody from being responsible for creating this no win situation in the first place.

1- His decision to retain Rex while selecting a new GM caused us to miss out on some of the best. I'm convinced of that
    2- As a result, he was forced to select someone with very little if any experience in personnel selection in the midst of a cap hell situation and straddled him with a less than optimum personnel development staff to help him sort it out. He did not have any time to fix that during the first year nor the wherewithall to know that he was in a no win situation.
    3- Further, I'm convinced that Woody had his hands dirty with the Revis situation as well as the Sanchez mess and probably giving Idzik some very conflicting direction as to what his expectations where.
    4- Idzik did not do Rex any favors but the converse is also true. Rex did not help Idzik by changing the game plan to better accommodate some of the players strengths. If was a marriage made in hell

All in all Woody must carry some of the blame for this mess. He hired a very raw GM clearly not ready for the job, and to add insult to injury, He jammed a coach down his throat, who did not see eye to eye with Idzik. He was a rookie, inexperienced GM without the tools necessary to succeed. He was the GM equivalent of our perennial QB situation. Neither can produce a winner and the coach ain't helping.

I said it before, selecting a top GM is the only job Woody should be concerned with, and he better get it right this time. And we he does, let the GM pick the leadership to support him.

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Woody should have either fired Rex when he fired Tanny, or kept Tanny around until he was sure he wanted to fire Rex. Failing to do that put the organization in a situation where the GM and the HC were on totally different timelines, creating a situation in which it was almost impossible for either to be successful. In retrospect, he probably should have given Tanny one more year and Rex one less. This year would have been our clean slate year instead of our dead-end year. Unless, of course, last year we managed a ridiculous record for that team, like 8-8 or something......then who knows.

ajax likes this.
  12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Good point. Because all of those contracts Tannenbaum gave to esp Mark and Holmes had to be approved by Woody. He knew what was happening. I've heard Tannenbaum try to explain that extension to Mark that basically got him fired. His logic was illogical. He talked about Mark's stats earlier in the season and said they were comparatively good. And thought financially it was a good deal. He later admitted it was a terrible move.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Why would Revis come back here now that Rex is gone,he's gonna go where ever Rex goes or resign with the Pats its over

14. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Well 30 years is a little something I call exaggeration. Maybe I'll put 300 years next time so there's no confusion.

But as for Idzik. Would you trust him to make the right hire for a head coach if he was kept and Rex was the only one fired? I would think over 95 percent of our fan base wouldn't trust him.

But like I've said no matter who the new coach it is its gonna be a downgrade.

So I guess any GM can choose that.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

So you want to give Rex a 30 year extension.

16. Ralebird

How can both of these statements be true? Does anyone really know what Johnson had to sign off on rather than letting the GM's office handle?

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Do you really think a GM doesn't go over big contracts with the owner. 100 % they do and have to get approval.

18. Ralebird

I think you're probably right but that also keeps him from getting fired if the boss signed off on it. You can't have it both ways.

19. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

You can pretend there's a guy out there right now that gives us a better chance to win.

But there isn't.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Sure you can. He fired him. Do you think Idzik didn't meet with Woody and go over major issues like re-signing Revis. And spending the cap money.