so i was called a white ni**er today

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JDeacon, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

He was a stupid asshole for making that remark and he should have to deal with whatever public repercussions come with it.

Do you think he should lose nba money because of that remark?

Riley Cooper made far worse comments, violent ones, and no single thing was done.

So this guy should be penalized right?

How much money should he be penalized? 1 million? 10 million?

#121 Charlie Kelly, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think what you understood me to say is not what I said.

I don't think he should be penalized one cent nor spurned from the NBA.

The observation I was making is that had the utterer been white, the national outrage would have been over the top. Fairly or unfairly that's what it would have been.

Not my outrage, I have kids and I hear the music they listen to. It's all just noise.

_

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can assure you I'm not out of the loop as I have sons who are both in that generation. I listen to how they use the word nigga and it is NOT the same word nor does it carry the same meaning. Its the culture that determines slang and the slang word "nigga" is not the same word as the racial slur "nigger". I've even heard white kids use the term and as long as the "a" is pronounced, its not considered a slur. There even is a term of endearment associated with this. "My Nigga" is a term of endearment, not a slur. It used to be reserved for blacks only but not any more.

You may be part of the new generation, but I'm going out on a limb here and guess that running the streets isn't something you do daily. At least I hope not. OTOH, I grew up on the streets and because of what I do for a living, I find myself going into neighborhoods that won't make it on DIY. I hear how teens and twenty somethings talk to each other every day. I actually listen to my kids and how they talk and although there are times I need a translator, for the most part, I can make out what they're trying to say.

We have no one to blame for this but ourselves. We as black people threw the n-word around so much that our kids picked up on it not thinking it was a slur. As a result, its not a slur to them unless the "a" is silent and the "er" is pronounced.

#123 Cman68, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. Cman68

It would depend on the context no? If the white kid was just hanging out, talking shit and used the word "nigga" in mixed company of his peers, I wouldn't like it, but not being part of the conversation it wouldn't have been directed at me. I doubt seriously if anyone in his circle would have taken that as a racial attack. Brand new day in America.

Now I'm not defending what Harrison said. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have gotten the heat he's taking because he certainly does deserve it. Harrison got too comfortable and forgot himself and where he was. I would like to think this is a hard lesson the young man won't soon forget. I've never seen any public outburst of emotion ever end well.

The good thing is, these days all you have to do is a quick public apology and all is forgiven. Unless you're Donald Sterling and have been doing it repeatedly for decades.

My Generation:
    Nigga = person of color lacking class
    Nigger = racial slur

My Son's Generation:
    Nigga = anyone (race neutral)
    Nigger = racial attack

Times they are a changin...

#124 Cman68, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The time certainly are a changing. Probably for the better. I mean the kid forgave him right away, so I guess there is no need for me to get all victimized here about it. I guess this is progress.

Reminds me of this scene (skip to 5:21):

6. Cman68

Funny shit but spot on.. :)

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

For the sake of eliminating confusion, let's just get back to calling people assholes...... Universal in any language

8. Cman68

Yeah, I miss the old days. Hell, I remember fist fighting was the honorable way to settle things and getting a gun was the pussy way out.