Snoopy Bowl: Pre-Season Week 3 Jets at Giants Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 23, 2017.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Petty is out for the season

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Hackbot, good one. Way to end any chance of intelligent conversation by going with the labels and trying to put the other side in the defensive.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with the bolded sentence. He'd better be concerned what happens after he delivers the ball, or he'll either have no receivers to throw to, or they'll be using alligator arms and not catching the ball at all. The QB has to get his timing down and get the ball to the right spot at the right time, not late. A QB can get his WRs killed with the way and timing that he throws the ball.

Yes, WRs are gonna get hit in the NFL. They can take vicious hits even when the ball is thrown to the right spot and at the right time, but that usually gives the WR a chance to protect himself at least a little. But to throw the ball late or have poor ball placement that causes the WR to take a vicious shot is quite another thing.

According to the article I read, the strength that Anderson worked to develop was in his legs, not his hands and/or arms.

#544 NCJetsfan, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Lonk

6. NCJetsfan

At this point I definitely don't trust Mac's judgment as it pertains to the OL. I'm still gonna wait and see if the OL gels once the starting unit is set and they get a chance to play together. If so, fine, but if not, and Mac doesn't address it in a major fashion next year, he deserves to not only be fired, but fired upon.

I don't want to have to start over again with a new HC and GM, but it's looking more and more like we will need to if we have any hopes of finishing this rebuild and building a consistently competitive team.

Red Menace and tbruner12 like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Pretty fair assessment IMO, although I don't want McCown to start. Unfortunately, Petty may be out and obviously Hack isn't ready.

8. NCJetsfan

Petty's probably already taken all the beatings he's going to for this year. Sounds like he's done and will be going on IR. Damn both Bowles and Mac.

9. NCJetsfan

What's this? Do I detect some gruding respect, maybe even praise for Petty coming from you?

Red Menace and Cman68 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Hack isn't ready. Whoever said that therefore he can get himself or someone else killed is spot on. If he plays now, imo he has little or no chance of succeeding even though he's getting experience. His confidence would be totally shredded and he'd probably be shellshocked like David Carr was.

If Petty is truly done for the year, then the Jets HAVE to sign another QB to backup McCown tomorrow (or today). McCown could go down in the first 10 minutes of the season opener. While Hack playing may guarantee us the #1 pick, he would be toast, and likely no QB would want to play for the Jets with this CS, this OL and lack of weapons. If McCown or some other QB can stay healthy long enough to give the OL a chance to gel and play better and give Hansen, Stewart, ASJ, Anderson, Powell, and Leggett a chance to get on track, they may be able to show just enough offense to encourage a young QB to be willing to play here.

If Hack plays, sucks throughout the season, takes a beating because he can't see the blitz and make OL adjustments, and can't get the ball to receivers on time, the offense will look so bad, all the young QBs will take a Peyton Manning approach and stay in school, or a Rivers approach and tell the Jets not to bother drafting them that they won't sign with them.

#550 NCJetsfan, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I can't speak for anyone else, but while I'm critical of Hack, I don't "hate" him. But the facts are the facts - he was taken in the 2nd round and red-shirted (a ridiculous approach for a high draft pick IMO), and given lots of attention this off-season to try and get him up to speed. Has there been progress? Yes, but he's still far behind in development, and it's quite possible that he'll never make it. The "hate" I feel is towards Macc and Bowles - Macc for taking him, especially with the 2nd pick, and Bowles and the CS for not doing a better job preparing him. In all honesty I can see potential, but that said, there's lots of guys - in all sports - who show potential who never make it. The difference seems to be in their "intangibles", their mental toughness and game sense. Hack has hung in there and hasn't complained, so that's a plus, but can he get up to pro speed? IDK.

Getting back to Macc (and whoever else was involved in the drafting and FA signings) - how do you go into a season with a guy you red-shirted and have major questions about, a guy who's over the hill and injury-prone and a guy who apparently is the football equivalent of a plague carrier? Not to mention taking TWO Safeties no NO OL? NY fans are notoriously impatient, but we are willing to give some slack to a legitimate rebuilding process, like the Yankees did, but Macc should've known he wouldn't have a very big window, and he proceeded to waste it. This may well be the worst season in my 55 years of rooting for them, and that's saying something.

12. ColoradoContrails

You object to being labeled as a "Hackbot", but have no problem calling others "Hack haters"? Look in the mirror.

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

At this point its still a question if Hack can make the jump from project to starter. That was the road the CS expected him to take in 2-3 years. The conundrum is that the next draft we will more than likely be in position to acquire better raw goods, a better potential franchise QB in the draft than we've had a chance to grab in years.

Roll with McCown and Hack. Trial by fire, we've protected him enough. We can't afford one guy to potentially make us miss out of a franchise QB. At this point Hack probably needs another year or two of development to be near starting quality and thats if he continues to make progress. I like Hack. I like his story, he seems like a great kid. He may just not be our franchise QB, reality is reality and that reality is we'll have our choice at the best QB in the nation come next summer. Hack hasn't been given the best hand up until this point and now is his chance to take fate into his hands. Men have to make the world how the see it and at this point the position of Jets FQB is his to take whether he's ready or not.

tbruner12 likes this.
  14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I find it funny when fans overreact about Hack or any rookie QB failing to recognize a certain blitz. He is seeing these live for the first time. Each one is a teachable moment. This is not the time to get upset and criticize. The time you do is if/when said rookie QB continues to fail to recognize the same blitz game after game. That indicates he is not learning from his experiences. Geno played 2 full seasons and we still had fans saying we hadn't seen enough to know what we have. Hack hasn't even played a game yet and people are ready to move one. It's bizarre.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Has this been officially confirmed?

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not even close.. Grade 1 sprain of the MCL.

17. ColoradoContrails

Thanks! I hope he can recover quickly!

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah.. so the #2 Oline can take another shot at getting him killed. Maybe Bowles might play him with the 1's.. Or trot Hack out there one more time.. Who knows.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Not quite

20. NCJetsfan

If Petty's injury truly is only a #1 sprain, I'm happy for him, but at this point, I'm not sure I want him to start. Right now, I like him better than I do the Jets. I don't want to see him get killed. Let McCown start, hopefully stay healthy for 3-5 weeks, take a pounding while the OL gets their crap together, then let Petty come in and start when he'll have a chance to do something and to stay healthy.

Cman68 likes this.